Where to see traditional Thai music?

hitthegroundrunning

Lae style central Thai, often heard at religious bodlians or praising at ceremonies. Waipot and Tosopon the absolute finest singers of it in the country. Anyone having a bodlian ceremony would be lucky to book them, amazing. lae does tend to go on a bit though! Waipot was the band leader that Pumpunag started out with, they were both from Supanburi (although she was not born there)

These are at central world today bkk, personally I don't think they are up to much even if they have toured abroad a lot. No vocals and no dancers with a sound not much better than the local busker is not worth going far to see.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, great responses everyone, especially Thai3, superb!

Yes, when I mean 'traditional', I mean 'Thai'. So anything from plinky plonk classical music to Luk Thung. 

Looks like the old cultural centre is the main place. It's a shame there aren't any bars for these guys to play in any more. Every time I take a taxi, this music is being blasted out...and yet they don't seem to perform anywhere!

• 8 months later...
On 7/22/2016 at 7:45 PM, BadBouy said:

Catch the show at the old cultural center, just google it

Yes i would recommend that too, music along with dancing ie stick dancing (i call it) etc.very cultural and enjoyable, though it was 2005 I am glad to hear it is still going, though for the life of me i could not give the OP directions on how to get there!

Archived