With structural pillars repaired, Jungceylon aims to re-open Port Area next week

webfact

With structural pillars repaired, Jungceylon aims to re-open Port Area next week
Chanida Summast

1469160595_1-org.jpg
With repairs to the structural pillars underneath The Port Area nearly complete, management at Jungceylon shopping mall in Patong are confident the closed areas will re-open next Wednesday (July 26). Photo: Slilla Svetsreni

PHUKET: -- Management at Jungceylon shopping mall in Patong are confident the section closed for repairs where structural pillars crumbled last month will reopen next Wednesday (July 27) after a series of inspections by government engineers.

A team of engineers from Patong Municipality inspected the pillars last Friday and again yesterday, Patong Mayor Chalermluk Kebsup told The Phuket News.

“Jungceylon management requested us to inspect the repairs to the damaged area to see if Patong Municipality had any recommendations or additional works to carry out,” she said.

“On July 15, we learned that the damaged columns had been fixed. The only thing needed to be done was for the outside of the columns to be covered with plaster and decorated.

“Our engineers also checked the rest of the columns for damage,” she added.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/with-structural-pillars-repaired-jungceylon-aims-to-re-open-port-area-next-week-58347.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2016-07-22

No mention of the engineering company that designed, and carried out the repair? With a high profile job like that, I would be promoting the hell out of myself/company. Hmmmmmmmmm

Bandaid not repair.

And you know that how? Were you there while they were repairing?

From the article... "On July 15, we learned that the damaged columns had been fixed. The only thing needed to be done was for the outside of the columns to be covered with plaster and decorated."

Sounds like bandaid to me, or worse, just cosmetic coverup.

Bandaid not repair.

From the article... "On July 15, we learned that the damaged columns had been fixed. The only thing needed to be done was for the outside of the columns to be covered with plaster and decorated."

I read it as 'the repairs were done, only the outside still needed to be covered'. If you read the article in full it is very clear that more has been done than plastering and decorating.

Edited by stevenl

“On July 15, we learned that the damaged columns had been fixed. The only thing (that still) needed to be done was for the outside of the columns to be covered with plaster and decorated.

(Read more at http://www.thephuketnews.com/with-structural-pillars-repaired-jungceylon-aims-to-re-open-port-area-next-week-58347.php#gOhg4TgEhFZcUUEp.99 )

Typically, a concrete construction fails if steel is too weak, or there is more (cheap) sand than should be in the concrete.
Neither are easy to fix, so good the government inspectors were brought in !!

Bandaid not repair.

I read it as 'the repairs were done, only the outside still needed to be covered'. If you read the article in full it is very clear that more has been done than plastering and decorating.

Ridiculous bullying waffle. There’s nothing there that states what reinstatement was performed. The photo of one column that had failed was ‘clearly’ not repairable – full reinstatement was required – not a repair.

Anybody comforted by this?

“All we need to do is present the structural reports showing that the repairs have been properly carried out and receive permission from provincial officials at the meeting on Tuesday,”

A structural report on the 'repairs' before a report on the initial cause of the failure? Can we safely assume that the ‘officials’ to whom the report will be submitted will be qualified to deliberate on structural repairs to composite elements? whistling.gif

Bandaid not repair.

Ridiculous bullying waffle. There’s nothing there that states what reinstatement was performed. The photo of one column that had failed was ‘clearly’ not repairable – full reinstatement was required – not a repair.

It does state that repair was done. You may not agree with the quality, but can you read English?

To be pedantic, was it a repair or a replace of what failed? There's a huge difference in the context here.

"On July 15, we learned that the damaged columns had been fixed. The only thing needed to be done was for the outside of the columns to be covered with plaster and decorated." - this reads to me that it was a "repair" - not a "replace."

Bandaid not repair.

There is nothing at all in the article that says anything more than "the repairs were done".

How can you take that statement and infer that, as is the well known norm in Thai construction that any more than very basic skills and techniques are used almost anywhere and anytime that it is indeed nothing more than cosmetic cover up.

In this country "the repairs were done". can mean absolutely anything, its a meaningless statement at best, and you know that.

A "cover up" or "bandaid" solution does not neccessarily imply, as you seem to think, to just plaster over the outside.

It is easy to "cover up" and" bandaid patch" the inner structural damage to make it appear structurally sound..appear only!

Were you there yourself? would you have the tinniest clue about how a major support column should be repaired, even if you were there?

That is a huge ,complicated job if even feasible .

There is nothing at all in the article that says anything more than "the repairs were done".

How can you take that statement and infer that, as is the well known norm in Thai construction that any more than very basic skills and techniques are used almost anywhere and anytime that it is indeed nothing more than cosmetic cover up.

In this country "the repairs were done". can mean absolutely anything, its a meaningless statement at best, and you know that.

A "cover up" or "bandaid" solution does not neccessarily imply, as you seem to think, to just plaster over the outside.

It is easy to "cover up" and" bandaid patch" the inner structural damage to make it appear structurally sound..appear only!

Were you there yourself? would you have the tinniest clue about how a major support column should be repaired, even if you were there?

I have no idea how feasible this specific repair would be, nor have I claimed it was done properly or not.

"A "cover up" or "bandaid" solution does not neccessarily imply, as you seem to think, to just plaster over the outside."

In the article it says "The only thing needed to be done was for the outside of the columns to be covered with plaster and decorated." The post I reacted to said "Sounds like bandaid to me, or worse, just cosmetic coverup.". So yes, I think they mean that.

Edited by stevenl

I posted on another thread that I heard from a reliable source (TIT) that the provincial engineer refused to sign off on the original repair proposal. Looks like the local guys were more flexible. I too will not be going back there.

I have no idea how feasible this specific repair would be, nor have I claimed it was done properly or not.

"A "cover up" or "bandaid" solution does not neccessarily imply, as you seem to think, to just plaster over the outside."

In the article it says "The only thing needed to be done was for the outside of the columns to be covered with plaster and decorated." The post I reacted to said "Sounds like bandaid to me, or worse, just cosmetic coverup.". So yes, I think they mean that.

I'm sorry, i, obviously wrongly really thought that your comprehension abilities matched your written English.

I'm sorry, i, obviously wrongly really thought that your comprehension abilities matched your written English.

No worries, my comprehension is far better than my written English.

Why not go there and have a look? Was there today and i had no problem to look inside this part in UG. Is it safe now and the job done well? I don't know because my technic career is long over.

Will i go there again. Yes sure.....maybe i trust to much in fate like the thais. But fate can't be that bad when survive since 25 years here.

LOL! You and I have seen what happens when Patong "engineers" inspect anything. Fires, floods, land slips, road collapses and people falling to their death from balconies and or bungie jumps! They still seem to think that water flows uphill! To quote the article: "An engineer from Patong Municipality, who asked not to be named, confirmed the repairs were nearly complete." Hum, wonder why he didn't want to be named? And I'm truly amazed you back up your stance by believing anything your read in the local press these days... I kind of miss Alan and his doubting view of the news we are now fed.

Edited by Jimi007

LOL! You and I have seen what happens when Patong "engineers" inspect anything. Fires, floods, land slips, road collapses and people falling to their death from balconies and or bungie jumps! They still seem to think that water flows uphill! To quote the article: "An engineer from Patong Municipality, who asked not to be named, confirmed the repairs were nearly complete." Hum, wonder why he didn't want to be named? And I'm truly amazed you back up your stance by believing anything your read in the local press these days... I kind of miss Alan and his doubting view of the news we are now fed.

I am far from believing everything I read. But people not reading and then making claims because of not reading should be pointed out IMO.

Somebody claimed the work was done sub par, and subsequent posters jumped on that, as always, since Thais always deliver subpar work and can't be trusted etc.

So far though I have not seen anything or anybody giving any kind of proof that the work has been done subpar. Just the usual criticism, but I very much doubt anybody even knows the exact extend of the problem, let alone the fix.

I am far from believing everything I read. But people not reading and then making claims because of not reading should be pointed out IMO.

Somebody claimed the work was done sub par, and subsequent posters jumped on that, as always, since Thais always deliver subpar work and can't be trusted etc.

So far though I have not seen anything or anybody giving any kind of proof that the work has been done subpar. Just the usual criticism, but I very much doubt anybody even knows the exact extend of the problem, let alone the fix.

I would respectfully disagree that ‘very much doubt anybody knows etc.’

“All we need to do is present the structural reports showing that the repairs have been properly carried out and receive permission from provincial officials at the meeting on Tuesday,” she said.

Somebody clearly knows – it will be in the structural report.