Dental work in Bangkok - recommendations

tails

My Australian father has just asked me about getting some dental work done in Bangkok (because of cost). His mate in Australia had some work done here and seemed to go really well. I offered to post on here for him because I guess there are plenty of guys over here with some first hand experience to share.

He mentioned implants and removal of amalgam... although I don't really know what that is.... maybe you do?

Does anyone have recommendations on good clinics? And maybe even a ballpark cost estimate for him?

I would never say anyplace is the "best." There are several dental clinics in Bangkok which regularly get good reviews here: check back threads.

Keep in mind that implants in particular usually involve a fairly long course of treatment, with several visits spaced out over several months, even years if there's a lot of work to be done.

I personally use the Dental Hospital on Sukhumvit Soi 49. Not the least expensive but consistently good quality. He can email them for a quote.

Implants are very costly and may not be as much of a savings over having it done in Oz as he might expect. There was a recent thread on implants and prices, do a search in this forum.

In my experience here it's not the place that matters, it's the person doing the job. This applies equally to dentistry.

My implants here cost me about 40,000B each in total. I dont know Australian prices but this is about 50-70% less than prices in the more expensive countries in Europe, and about the same as some of the cheaper eastern European countries.

Removing amalgam (and presumably replacing it with composite) is a standard procedure that any decent dentist should be able to handle. My guess would be a few hundred Baht per tooth. That's what I paid for one such anyway. Again the trick will be finding a decent dentist.

Note that implant prices can vary siginificantly - no matter where in the world you have them done -- depending on the brand of implant used. They can also vary a lot depending on additional services you might need, like bone grafts.

Good decision by your father on having his dental work done here in the land of smiles. I'm sure it would be easy to find reputable clinics around BKK, more so if he's looking for a dental implant treatment. He can scan through some dental websites, but it might be ideal to choose a clinic belonging to a dental group because they are the ones who usually got the best dentists in Thailand who are western-educated/trained. Also, a dental group of clinics has better reputation because they couldn't have expanded if they're not that good.