Washing machine in the sticks

Rc2702

My mrs got her farming folk a washing machine about 1 year ago but it has already broke. It clearly has not been well maintained but to their defence they had never had 1 and where they live is pretty primitive with a lot of creatures just wondering but maybe W/M not really built for that environment? Any advice or experience on this matter would be greatly appreciated. I am sure we can protect a new one with housing cabinet or something.

It may be hard for some people to maintain anything. Do they service their motor scooter/vehicles for instance?

It's nice that your helping them, but It may be an idea to just let the family (including your wife) deal with this domestic issue.

My mrs had a scooter last 10 years from new it runs beautifully. She let her dad use it for farm for 2 years she showed him how to look after it, he did a grand job I use it now it has 215k on clock works like new. Mrs is very upset about Washing machine but I think it's unfair on the folks as they had no previous experience of this machine and given they are in the sticks I think more should have been done to counter it's primitive environment hence I seek a solution. The deal the mrs has agreed to is to buy a used one that works well (not easy task I'm sure) properly protect it from creep crawlies, show the old man how to inspect it and if they maintain it then we get them a new one once we sure they are properly aware.

What type of WM was it?

What is the water pressure and quality (carbon content)?

I assume it stands outside under some roof?

Indeed some creatures might crawl through the water outlet pipe e.g.

Use a sieve.

Don't buy fancy front loaders with hot water etc.

This simple cold water types should really last more than a year.

They can be used anywhere where the is water and a basic electric power outlet.

8852520513476_3.jpg

Edited by KhunBENQ

Thanks Benq it was Panasonic WM.

I'm told it was a cold water system.

I'm going to grab a few images of the washing machine over weekend and post them to analyse what damage may have occurred as your right 1 year in should not be going to pot like that even with no maintenance but there again I'm fairly new so maybe WM here need a bit of tlc. My WM in uk worked fine last 4 years no maintenance thus far.

Mice can be a big problem - we have an laundry room extension separate from the house on a large property with fields on two sides and upon returning from just a few week vacation all the wiring and hoses were eaten full of holes and broken wires. Had to rewire the whole thing and replace several hoses. It had a panel on the bottom to keep things out but they ate a hole in that too. So we screened the vent blocks on the building and keep the door closed good and they ate a hole in the bottom of the door and several places in the screen - its a war. We resorted to placing trays of mice bait and while it killed lots of them they ate the tray too.

Almost lost my breakfast when a couple of years ago I found out what was stinking in the shack.

It was the dead/rotting baby mice in the outlet pipe bah.gif

To the OP: buy a new one but insist that they check the repair option.

The cold water machines are pretty easy to disassemble/repair.

In another cold water machine the "outside" of the drum was covered with some sticky/greasy film.

I suspect they had things in the WM that don't belong there (plastic shoes?).

Edited by KhunBENQ

Got no chance buying new one the mrs will crucify me. She's disappointed and thinks they should have done more to prevent the damage. If I find the preventable measures first I may be able to swing it.

Mice can be a big problem - we have an laundry room extension separate from the house on a large property with fields on two sides and upon returning from just a few week vacation all the wiring and hoses were eaten full of holes and broken wires. Had to rewire the whole thing and replace several hoses. It had a panel on the bottom to keep things out but they ate a hole in that too. So we screened the vent blocks on the building and keep the door closed good and they ate a hole in the bottom of the door and several places in the screen - its a war. We resorted to placing trays of mice bait and while it killed lots of them they ate the tray too.

Ask Fat Freddie if you can borrow his cat for a while.....

post-158336-0-93871600-1469337455_thumb.

Edited by lostinisaan

I cleaned the filter of the WM of my in-laws which I bought for them 4 years ago but it was to late already.

I am now only buying the washing powder for everyone and I just court my mum when she cleaned the toilets with it but I just smile and let her do it.

Here are some other AMUSING facts from today.

Monk comes in today at 10am and wants us to contribute money for his travel. MIL says no and ignores him because he sees nice home of farang and me too. One of our dogs barks at him and he still things he wants to enter our compound to get some money. The monk was alone and no layman was with him. One of our dogs that has currently puppies attacks the monk and bites on on our premises.

Monk ask for 2000 Baht and I tell him how about show me your card that you are a real monk. I tell my MIL dont give him any money but MIL gives him 200 Baht to get an injection for rabbis.

Monk talks about calling the police and I told him let me call them now. Within two minutes he was gone.

Rats & other vermin love to chew on wiring. I'd give the wiring a close inspection. You should be able to repair it yourself if that is in fact the problem.

Our electric motor on the gate opened by itself one day. Well, opened about 2 feet, then stopped. Had power, just quit. Naturally, a few weeks after the warranty expired. So I waited for the shade to overtake the unit & took the cover off. Still couldn't see a problem, but it smelled burned. So I loosened the 4 screws that held the circuit board in place, and under the board was a very small mouse like critter, burned right in half. He got under the board & his body provided a better path for 220V than the circuit board did. They board was burned to hell.

Long story short, we called the guy who installed it & he brought a new board to the house, all the way from Ubon, a 2 hour drive, and installed it, for 800 Bt. As I like to do repairs myself, I inquired how much if he just mails us the board? 800 Bt. So I let him do it. Bizarre.

Check the wiring & circuitry...I'm guessin there you will find the problem. The motor & transmission on a simple washer should last 10 + years here. They one I sold when I left the US was 20 years old and still worked like a champ.

Also, if you can't get there yourself or aren't a DIY'er, every small town has a guy that repairs washing machines. How do you find him, you ask? Look for the house with about 40 old washing machines and refrigerators masquerading as lawn art. Or you could have the parents ask around.

Edited by Tagaa

Some good info tag I have taken images and did take the electric panel apart like you and the circuitry had been hammered. I did not find a rodent but geckos were running a mock. I will upload the images shortly. I am a bit wary of using any website on my laptop as it's our life source but I'll be in uk in 6 days so will load images using relatives machine. 800 baht sounds great. Good job

That was the cost for the small board on our electric gate opener. Your washing machine may be a bit different.

On the internet, search the brand name of the machine, followed by the word Thailand & you should get info for the HQ here in LOS. You should also get a phone number. Have the wife call them (much easier even if they say they have somebody that speaks English). She can snap a photo & send to them on Line (seems like every Thai uses that) and they should be able to give you cost & availability.

Also, don't forget to locate the local repair guy. Take the old board with you. He may just have one in an old machine. Price would be much cheaper than new & he'll probably install it for you/them for next to nothing. It's worth a shot.

Local is always better, not to mention quicker.

• 3 weeks later...

Twin Tubs (top loaders) are basic machines ,  require less maintenance and generally last longer. 

Automatics (front loaders) more expensive , more complicated and more can go wrong with them I think

The twin tub is more suited to "primitive" areas IMO 

On 22/07/2016 at 2:58 PM, RKASA said:

Adopt a cat from the local wat. More environmentally friendly than bait and you can have the satisfaction of watching nature at work!

2 hours ago, SantiSuk said:

Adopt a cat from the local wat. More environmentally friendly than bait and you can have the satisfaction of watching nature at work!

not so environmentally friendly as they also kill lots of native birds and lizards. Maybe okay as long as you keep the cat locked up in the laundry with a 'cat run' enclosure. :D

• 2 weeks later...

My brother in law is on an upward curve at present and he saw me inspecting the issues with the washing machine in his and his parents home and fair play he solved the problem and fixed the machine. Attached is the images of damage and also his solution. The washing machine works fine now cost 80 baht in materials.

20160726_113854.jpg

20160828_091324.jpg

Great job!
As always, water in the wrong place will not work. The electronic parts has to stay dry which may be hard in some places.  It cant rain directly on the machine. And if you fill it it up manually or with a hose, you have to be careful about the levels. We had that 6 years ago and it wasn't easy. Incoming water filter may be nice to add if they aren't at city water.
Another thing that may harm it is if it isn't standing flat and in a slightly elevated and solid spot.  Concrete is great. and that also solves the problem with some of the animals that seems to like to live inside.

Our new model is made to handle liquid detergent and softener. That made the part with the softener really easy and it seems to be easier to avoid really heavy perfumed washing powder - I really like that feature, mostly because I tend to get a rash in bad places from those brands ;) 

On 10/09/2016 at 0:14 PM, BKKdreaming said:

are you using cold water ?

if so what washing powder/ detergent are you using that does not pollute the ground water and still gets out stains ?

and if possible gets out oil and grease stains from working on cars 

On 10/09/2016 at 0:14 PM, BKKdreaming said:

if so what washing powder/ detergent are you using that does not pollute the ground water and still gets out stains ?

and if possible gets out oil and grease stains from working on cars ?

Baking soda is used by many as an environmentally friendly cleaner, maybe this could work for you ??? Just a thought :)

All top loaders in my surroundings , very reliable machines . Yes all cold water , but since the water in stored in a tank first it is never very cold . Also , you can add water and detergent first and leave it together with the clothes for a couple of hours , to wash out nastier staines .

Machines need to be in a relative dry area meaning , having a roof above it to keep rain out .

Since they are simple machines , there is very minimal that can go wrong with it ( but they do use a lot more water then frontloaders ).

On 10/09/2016 at 6:14 AM, BKKdreaming said:

and if possible gets out oil and grease stains from working on cars ?

My concern was not the ground water unless of course I get a majority opinion which is feasible but honestly about the in laws.  There not normal compared to what I hear the old man is a good guy was a handsome chap too and no sniff of a womaniser about him he actually is a OWOM type but his farm is far from OTOP maybe his fruit and veg are his mistresses. Custard apples, melons, sweetcorn loads of grub. Anyway the washing machine is sheltered but not isolated at all the bottom part was immaculate it was the circuit board that had been eaten? The son/B.I.L fixed it as I said and no complaints since. The complainant is the mrs btw. I want to give them a settee she gave me a dirty look. They sleep on a mattress, when Mrs mom stayed over she was scared of falling off the bed- Lol cannot make it up.

Anyway the farm is not on same land it is about 500 metres away from house the area the house is, is fairly residential.

BTW anyone seeing my comment advising people in pub forum to steer clear of isaan will likely know why I said it. Enjoy it while you can.