Insurance / Pension & Liability

woea1

Does somebody like to tell what kind of insurance (for pension & liability) they have !?

(when they stay long time abroad)

Or are there people who doesn't have those kind of insurance at all?

What about the montly costs? (for the thai-school and/or personal)

Staying long time abroad can bring you into financial problems lateron...!

But many people seem not to care about there insurance and pension!

There are good arguments for not purchasing insurance at western rates, as these will give you more cover than you are likely to need in Thailand's Cheeper private health care system.

However, I think you still need to have an insurance cover that runs to perhaps half a million dollars as a minimum.

One word of caution about purchasing any finacial services in Thailand, insurance, credit cards, bank services etc. They are naturally goverened by Thai laws and as a general rule Thai laws will give you nowhere near the protections that European or US law will. I had a neighbour who's insurance company in Thailand withdrew his cover when he was diagnosed with cancer, despite there being no preclusions to a new disease being covered, he had been with that Thai insurance company for over ten years and was kicked out after his first claim.

Pensions are another matter entirely.

If you are below retirement age you will need to take professional advice of how much fund you need to live in Thailand.

A word of caution here, prices in Thailand have risen tremendously over the past few years and all the indications are that they will continue to rise.

You might be told you need less pension in Thailand but to be safe, and you need to be safe, I would argue that you should try to have the same pension plans as you would at home, at the very least such a plan will help you live better in Thailand.

More importantly it will allow you to leave at some time in the future should the need arise.

Two very good pieces of advice:

Do not put all your eggs in one basket.

Do not burn your bridges.

If you move all your money to Thailand you might well be breaking both these golden rules.

As for my own provisions.

I have a company health plan that I am allowed to buy into if I leave the plan and I have been paying company pension contributions (Three companies) since my 18th birthday, and additional volutary contributions since I was 29.

I also pay into a state pension, but I believe I will ever collect on that one. There are too many idle to be paid for and kept.

I would not dream of going anywhere without insurace and a pension is my get out so that I can do what I want when I reach my fifties.

A word of caution here, prices in Thailand have risen tremendously over the past few years and all the indications are that they will continue to rise.

You might be told you need less pension in Thailand but to be safe, and you need to be safe, I would argue that you should try to have the same pension plans as you would at home, at the very least such a plan will help you live better in Thailand.

More importantly it will allow you to leave at some time in the future should the need arise.

This is good advice but remember the currency has declined as well.

Back in 1985 a litre of petrol was 8.5 baht and there were 35 baht to the UK pound

Now a litre of petrol costs 17 baht but there are 70 baht to the UK pound.

On that scale petrol is still the same price, despite inflation, and oil price rises.

Keep you money in a stable currency and bring it into Thailand when you need to.

Remember the golden rule:

Do not invest more in Thailand, than you are prepared to loose

Why would you need a med-evac insurance, I'll say the hospitals in Thailand is a lot better than in Europe, and doesn't cost as much.

I had a heart problem 4 years ago, and the Phuket International Hospital saved my life for less than 50.000 bath, and the service was like a 5 star hotel.

Why would you need a med-evac insurance, I'll say the hospitals in Thailand is a lot better than in Europe, and doesn't cost as much.

I had a heart problem 4 years ago, and the Phuket International Hospital saved my life for less than 50.000 bath, and the service was like a 5 star hotel.

If thai hospitals are so great ,then why do thai politicians and the wealthy go to london for their operations ?

If a brit needs a heart op he goes home and gets it free ...

I would like to get some "local" health insurance but would rather have my "term" life insurance in the States. I have spoken to an insurance company here about this and have found that what I would pay for "term" here would not give me (rather my dependents) the same amount when I kiss them goodbye. What I mean is that for the same money to buy a million baht policy here, I could buy a $500,000 US policy in the States. Anyone got a line on an insurance company that will write a policy for a guy that doesn't want to leave Thailand but wants a US priced and gives a good payout? Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have experiences with the Blue Cross healthinsurance? We are moving to Thailand and will need some kind of healtinsurance. And do they also cover dentalcosts?

• 1 month later...