Aircard for AIS network

backtofront

Am trying to replace a dongle I bought with me and have now lost. I think they are called aircards here. This I managed to establish with my wife in tow. But everywhere we have been in Kanchanaburi is mai mee and a cute smile. This has me baffled. How does one connect a notebook to the internet if there is no available wireless network?

I have checked Lazada and there are plenty to choose from. Any advice on which ones will and which won't work with AIS?

I managed to get one from True. Works (within limitations) reasonable well in the countryside (Isaan).

The speed of the data communication can be impacted by the the location of the laptop. Just moving a few centimetres may do the trick. Usually I have two or three bars as reception signal (not sure if this is the correct word).

Have fun ...

I use an aircard and it works well, but nowadays I note that they are not available locally. People around here have started to use "mini wifi" which is a tiny battery and/or mains operated wifi unit that you put a SIM in and then can then send 3G service to all your devices. I've never tried one, but I've a feeling that I will have no choice in the future.

These mini wifi units are available in our local mobile phone shop, which is where I bought my current aircard many years ago. Whatever you end up buying make sure that it will work with your SIM card of choice. Many aircards and mini wifis are restricted to a one particular service provider.

Good luck.

Edited by Horatio Poke

I use what AIS calls a "Pocket WiFi".

I first started asking around for a way to connect to the internet with my laptop and thought an "air card" was what I wanted. I'm technologically challenged when it comes to computers so it was a frustrating experience with everyone telling me "Mai Mee"until I found an AIS representative that told me to try their "Pocket WIFI".

I've had it for 3 months now and am extremely happy with it. They offer a few different plans according to how much GBs you think you'll need. Not knowing what that means for me I just went with what the young woman suggested which is a plan of 12 GB for 799 baht per month with tax or fees? it comes out to about 850 baht per month.

It's about 2 1/2 inches by 4 inches and about a half an inch thick. I mainly use it for places that don't have wifi or for when the internet stops working at our house. But I've found that I can turn it on and slip it in my pocket and have internet for both my wife's phone as well as mine at the same time whenever we're on the road. As long as we don't go over the 12 GB amount, we have internet whenever we want. We've never gone over it so not sure what happens when you do, maybe they send a hitman to your door?

I don't know if it's really necessary for me to go back to AIS each month to pay the monthly fee or if I could somehow pay with a credit card from my house, but I have just gone back to AIS.

I'm sure there are much smarter people on here that can help you with an internet connection but this has worked for me.

Good luck

The advantage that the MiFi have over USB 'aircards' is that you don't need Drivers in order to get them to work with your computer. So you aren't limited in that way.

The downside is that they are more expensive, especially in Thailand. Expect to pay at least 1500 baht and then perhaps a bit more to get it unlocked for use with every network, if it is a model from TRUE.

This is what you might find in the mainstream:

http://www3.truecorp.co.th/truemoveh/product/detail/3126/Shared_WiFi_4G_100_Mbps.?ln=en Hopefully discounted. But then you would need to unlock it to all networks. It is a ZTE MF90 for the purpose of unlocking.

Also: http://www3.truecorp.co.th/truemoveh/product/detail/3208/4G_pocket_WiFi#promotion Can't recognise the model from the pic, so can't advise on unlocking.

and: http://www3.truecorp.co.th/truemoveh/product/detail/1595/Shared_WiFi_21_Mbps.#promotion This is the ZTE MF65 for the purpose of unlocking.

You should be able to pick up one of them for around 1490.

USB modems (dongles) are a bit of a waste of money these days. They will all work with AIS as long as they are not branded TRUE or DTAC.

You might also be able to tether using your Smartphone if you have one.

Come up with model numbers and prices of the ones in Lazada on your shortlist and we'll tell you which is best.

OP! do not look for dongle!Listen to Jiu-Jitsu!Do you have smart phone or tablet?most of them

offer tethering:smartphone/tablet connected to mobile internet can deliver it to your laptop in

3 ways:by USB wire or by Wi-Fi hotspot or by BlueTooth - you will shoot 2 birds with 1 stone.

I am familiar with the name Huawei and there is an E122 3G USB Wireless Modem 7.2Mbps Black on Lazada for B800 . There are a whole lot more and I wouldn't know one from the other.

Angang Wireless USB 4G/3G Wifi SIM Card Modem Dongle HSPA TF Card Slot - สีขาว B719

Free Download 21.6Mbps HSPA+ USB Dongle Wireless 3G Modem (Black) (Intl) B819

7.2Mbps HSDPA 3G USB 2.0 Wireless Modem Adapter with TF Card Slot - Black-Orange B646

They are all tagged as "wireless". Why?

USB modems (dongles) are a bit of a waste of money these days. They will all work with AIS as long as they are not branded TRUE or DTAC.

Come up with model numbers and prices of the ones in Lazada on your shortlist and we'll tell you which is best.

We keep getting pointed to True. But AIS is better for us and I figured they would lock them. Fortunately they were also mai mee.

Also want to look at the MiFi. Are they much bigger?

Great thread. I have an OPPO R7plusf and by pushing only one button I can make this telephone the wifi hotspot for other devices. Never thought that I could manage things like this.

Have fun....

This sounds excellent, and is something that had never occurred to me.... unsurprisingly enough.

I have a couple of smartphones that run Andriod. What controls/settings do I need to operate to make one of them my wifi hotspot?

For me having an OPPO R7plusf:

1) press settings

2) under general (which starts with 'wifi setting') press 'more'

3) next screen: switch on the option 'Bluetooth tehtering'

4) now this device is your 'hotspot'

Take other device (telephone etc), switch on wifi and select the wifi address from your 'hotspot device' and enter the password, which was somewhere during this process provided - but I cannot remember where, and there you are. In my case the password was '12345678' (not too difficult).

If I can manage, you can manage for sure !

Have fun....

Edited by Halfaboy

The advantage that the MiFi have over USB 'aircards' is that you don't need Drivers in order to get them to work with your computer. So you aren't limited in that way.

The downside is that they are more expensive, especially in Thailand. Expect to pay at least 1500 baht and then perhaps a bit more to get it unlocked for use with every network, if it is a model from TRUE.....

You might also be able to tether using your Smartphone if you have one......

OP! do not look for dongle!Listen to Jiu-Jitsu!Do you have smart phone or tablet?most of them

offer tethering:smartphone/tablet connected to mobile internet can deliver it to your laptop in

3 ways:by USB wire or by Wi-Fi hotspot or by BlueTooth - you will shoot 2 birds with 1 stone.

1) press settings

Take other device (telephone etc), switch on wifi and select the wifi address from your 'hotspot device' and enter the password, which was somewhere during this process provided - but I cannot remember where, and there you are. In my case the password was '12345678' (not too difficult).

The above three posts give excellent advice. Thanks guys!!!

I have just followed Halfaboy's step by step instructions and my smartphone works fine as a wifi hotspot. This will save me and my wife recharging three SIMs with 3g service. We should save about 150 baht per week. And of course I should never need to buy an aircard or mini/pocket wifi again.

It remains to be seen just how fast, reliable and convenient this smartphone wifi hotspot arrangement turns out to be but for my modest requirements I'm quietly confident that it should be adequate.

Re Halfaboy's step by step instructions:

My own phone is slightly different but essentially the same as described. The key points are....

press settings>under general (which starts with 'wifi setting') press 'more'>next screen: switch on the option 'Bluetooth tehtering'

The "press 'more' " to get to tethering is the important part, and the part which I would never have found without help. Once you've done that the rest is easy-peasy.

A couple of quick points:-

1) I was quoted 1,690 baht at our local shop for a mini/pocket wifi that would service up to 10 devices at any one time and would accept any SIM card. I think that the price was negotiable, probably down to 1,650 or 1,600 baht. My smartphone seems to have a limit of 5 devices at any one time which is more than enough for me and definitely more than enough for a 3g connection.

2) I've used all the major providers' services but found that I get on best with AIS. It seems to me that the best AIS packages can always be found on the company's Thai language webpages.

Edited by Horatio Poke

The downside is that they are more expensive, especially in Thailand. Expect to pay at least 1500 baht and then perhaps a bit more to get it unlocked for use with every network, if it is a model from TRUE.....

You might also be able to tether using your Smartphone if you have one......

1) press settings

The above three posts give excellent advice. Thanks guys!!!

I have just followed Halfaboy's step by step instructions and my smartphone works fine as a wifi hotspot. This will save me and my wife recharging three SIMs with 3g service. We should save about 150 baht per week. And of course I should never need to buy an aircard or mini/pocket wifi again.

It remains to be seen just how fast, reliable and convenient this smartphone wifi hotspot arrangement turns out to be but for my modest requirements I'm quietly confident that it should be adequate.

Re Halfaboy's step by step instructions:

My own phone is slightly different but essentially the same as described. The key points are....

press settings>under general (which starts with 'wifi setting') press 'more'>next screen: switch on the option 'Bluetooth tehtering'

The "press 'more' " to get to tethering is the important part, and the part which I would never have found without help. Once you've done that the rest is easy-peasy.

A couple of quick points:-

1) I was quoted 1,690 baht at our local shop for a mini/pocket wifi that would service up to 10 devices at any one time and would accept any SIM card. I think that the price was negotiable, probably down to 1,650 or 1,600 baht. My smartphone seems to have a limit of 5 devices at any one time which is more than enough for me and definitely more than enough for a 3g connection.

2) I've used all the major providers' services but found that I get on best with AIS. It seems to me that the best AIS packages can always be found on the company's Thai language webpages.

Bluetooth Tethering is relatively slow. http://www.imore.com/usb-vs-bluetooth-vs-wi-fi-whats-best-way-tether-your-mac-your-iphone-or-ipad

I am familiar with the name Huawei and there is an E122 3G USB Wireless Modem 7.2Mbps Black on Lazada for B800 . There are a whole lot more and I wouldn't know one from the other.

Angang Wireless USB 4G/3G Wifi SIM Card Modem Dongle HSPA TF Card Slot - สีขาว B719

7.2Mbps HSDPA 3G USB 2.0 Wireless Modem Adapter with TF Card Slot - Black-Orange B646

We keep getting pointed to True. But AIS is better for us and I figured they would lock them. Fortunately they were also mai mee.

I really wouldn't waste money on those things. I have a number of them that I would simply give away if I were there. Ok as a stopgap, but tethering using a Smartphone or MiFi is far more versatile and convenient.

Here's an example of a MiFi unit from Lazada: http://www.lazada.co.th/huawei-r206-unlocked-3g-mobile-hotspot-wifi-modem-broadband-router-white-989851.html It's their cheapest one.

They just seem to get these things by subterfuge from other countries and then unlock them in order to sell them at a profit. I see the Vodafone UK R206(Huawei 5220), EE Osprey Mini 2(Alcatel Y855). You can get the Osprey for as little as 1250 baht in the UK. Selling it at 2290 baht on Lazada.

This one comes from EE UK.; http://www.lazada.co.th/huawei-e5573-4g-mobile-wifi-white-3186100.html They obtain subsidised products from the UK market and sell them at a premium in Thailand. I obtained mine for 1000 baht in the UK. On sale for 2900 baht at Lazada.

In conclusion, the MiFi will all work with AIS and the Vodafone R206 at 1279 baht covers the salient frequencies for their 3G coverage: DC-HSPA+/HSPA+/UMTS 900/2100MHz

It's not about the size with these things, as they can function as a standalone unit. Imagine double the width of a typical dongle. You can use them like a dongle and connect them via USB. You can use it as a standalone unit and connect via WiFi...and then connect via USB in order to charge the unit if using with a laptop. You can connect via WiFi and just use it's battery, which should give around four hours per charge. useful for instance to give Internet connect to a WiFi tablet whilst outside of the home. You can also connect via WiFi and charge it via the mains charger.

USB modems are just too limiting.Unless connected to a suitable PC/laptop, you can't do anything with them.