first visit in 2 years

littlelost

I note your question was about changes in the area over the last two years.

Rawai/Nai Han has changed enormously in the 6 years I've been here with many new condo and retail developments changing the old, almost sleepy, village atmosphere. However, these changes coincided with the decline in numbers of European and Russian visitors and residents, and many of the condos, in particular, remain empty.

On topic, in the last 2 years the most obvious changes would be the demolition by the Navy of all illegal restaurants on, or near, the beaches and the enormous amount of tourist buses ferrying Chinese tourists to the wharf for boat tours. These buses are parked wherever they can find a place in nearby streets. The Sea Gypsy tourist area is extremely crowded most times, as a new breed of tourist flock the many small shops seeking a bargain souvenir sea shell, which, no doubt, was collected from a beach and not harvested from a living reef.

There's a famous British saying - "don't mention the war". On Thaivisa you should never mention driving/riding after having a beer. As you've discovered it will bring the expected responses from those with certain agendas. And don't expect any sympathy or positive suggestions regarding your war injury here!

I believe taxis or tuk tuks are available in the area because there was a recent story about them seeking an extra rank. As you would be aware they are ludicrously expensive so you need to make allowances.

I'm not sure, but, as an alternative, I think GrabTaxi is available here now.

Thanks Old Croc, the beach side restaurants in NaiHarn were gone last time i stayed, a real shame a i had whiled away many an afternoon sat there watching the world go by. The huge bus loads of Chinese were also there at the sea gypsies, speaking to a man i'd known for many years who worked at one of the sea gypy restaurants, they seem of little use for his trade as they are day trippers from hotels on all inclusive plans, so by little except the "souvenir" do a boat trip and go home. In 20 years a lot has changed, some good some bad - for 15 or more years i never wore a helmet on my bike, now it is 2nd nature. i read so many posts about how Phuket is a violent area and i wonder if it is the same place i've grown to love over the years. I've never seen any of that side of the place. yes bad things happen, they do everywhere, i was in the Freedom bar the same night (not the exact same time) as the British muay Thai guy followed the American service man home and killed him. that didn't make all us Brits crazy knife wielding murderers!

Anyway old Croc, you seem like a good egg, you don't know how accurate you are with the "don't mention the war" my mates call me Uncle Albert off only fools and horses as i don't like to talk about it but then end up doing so! i'm afraid i bit when the earlier posted assumed i couldn't walk due to a drink drive accident - i must be less precious!!

To give the OP some info on his original question, I've never really seen any cops set up checkpoints in the area except for checkpoints when they are looking for drugs/weapons. The other type of checkpoint that you are worried about usually camps out at the Kata viewpoint, or towards Chalong Circle.

Now there are more "taxis" in the area, and you shouldn't have a problem getting one unless it's the wee hours of the morning.

Ah yes the Chalong circle checkpoint, where the police used to watch people stop, put there helmets on to avoid a fine, drive past and stop 100m further down to take the helmet off - did they ever build the under pass there??

The Kata Viewpoint you mention ? is that the same as the Karon Viewpoint up past the Elephant places before the Reggae bar? i have been stopped there a few times but as a helmet wearer with a bike license never has a problem. There also seemed to be a semi regular police stop point at Ban Saiyan intersection during the days. never seen any police between 5pm and 11pm!

Ah yes the Chalong circle checkpoint, where the police used to watch people stop, put there helmets on to avoid a fine, drive past and stop 100m further down to take the helmet off - did they ever build the under pass there??

์Not even started digging the underpass. Still messing about with digging drains.

If you say in the area and drink there why not get a motosai driver? Yeah he'll be drunk but people know that they are drunk and are careful around them.

Motorbike taxis are heavily frowned upon by the local entrenched mob that call themselves taxi drivers.

I didnt know that, outside of the cesspool areas i see a lot of them bringing locals around, mostly old guys with no spacial awareness

Did you see the video where a van driver got beat up in Rawai? That's the same fate for motorbike taxis that dare push their luck.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/23/2016 at 10:21 PM, littlelost said:

Wow, sorry, i seem to have stirred a hornets nest, and upset some of you - not my intention i promise.,

Thank you to those less quick to judge who responded, to those who immediately think the worst of everyone, my recollections of Thai culture over the last 20 or so years of visiting is of a tolerant culture, perhaps you haven't embraced that part of Thailand.

To clear some things up!

i was talking about having a couple of beers, not being smashed and driving, although i totally appreciate the best way to stay safe is not to drink at all! not everyone is a saint in this world. The drink drive limit is lower in Thailand than a lot of places, so i was keen to understand more.

I am unable to walk more than about 20 metre or so without severe pain, my kneecap has been replaced, the original one was shattered by a shell when i was in the army a few years ago, but if you would prefer to assume it was the result of a drunken driving incident, please feel free!

The idea of the post was to understand how much things had changed around the Rawai/Nailarn area, i've been going there every couple of years since about 95/96, my last time was march 15 and there were police occasionally checking motorbike riders for helmet and license but never for alcohol as far as i saw.

i've rarely seen any any taxis or tuk tuks in Rawai or Naiharn in the 10 times i've been so i wouldn't know how to go about getting a safe one.

Drink driving has been happening in Thailand by ex pats and local alike since god knows when, I assume those of you who jumped at the chance to criticise also are critical of everything else that happens in Thailand, that is not exactly legal !!!!

i'm sure there's plenty in this new post now for some of you to criticise me for, i'd rather not go down that route please.

"critical of everything else that happens in Thailand, that is not exactly legal !!!!" Just because something is illegal does not mean you have to comply, if you have genuine common sense, you don't need to bother about something which is illegal, why do or do not do things because some people say something is illegal or not.

If you want to obey everyones rules and laws, you may as well just stay in your bed.

On 7/23/2016 at 8:46 PM, NamKangMan said:

But, surely an expat on living on Phuket, a "World Class Tourist Destination" can go out, have a few drinks, and get home, WITHOUT drink driving / riding - right? :)

How would you get home SHOULD you chose to drink?

Barfine a girl with a scooter

On 7/23/2016 at 4:21 PM, littlelost said:

Wow, sorry, i seem to have stirred a hornets nest, and upset some of you - not my intention i promise.,

Thank you to those less quick to judge who responded, to those who immediately think the worst of everyone, my recollections of Thai culture over the last 20 or so years of visiting is of a tolerant culture, perhaps you haven't embraced that part of Thailand.

To clear some things up!

i was talking about having a couple of beers, not being smashed and driving, although i totally appreciate the best way to stay safe is not to drink at all! not everyone is a saint in this world. The drink drive limit is lower in Thailand than a lot of places, so i was keen to understand more.

I am unable to walk more than about 20 metre or so without severe pain, my kneecap has been replaced, the original one was shattered by a shell when i was in the army a few years ago, but if you would prefer to assume it was the result of a drunken driving incident, please feel free!

The idea of the post was to understand how much things had changed around the Rawai/Nailarn area, i've been going there every couple of years since about 95/96, my last time was march 15 and there were police occasionally checking motorbike riders for helmet and license but never for alcohol as far as i saw.

i've rarely seen any any taxis or tuk tuks in Rawai or Naiharn in the 10 times i've been so i wouldn't know how to go about getting a safe one.

Drink driving has been happening in Thailand by ex pats and local alike since god knows when, I assume those of you who jumped at the chance to criticise also are critical of everything else that happens in Thailand, that is not exactly legal !!!!

i'm sure there's plenty in this new post now for some of you to criticise me for, i'd rather not go down that route please.

No one can argue about drunk driving, however as the OP puts it above is a fair question and most people do have a beer and drive (whether some think thats right or wrong) 

Answer is mate, there is not that much differance since you was last here, the Police/Authorities have started more spot checks for drink drivers, no helmets and general checks on the roads out and about late on but other than that, use a bit of common sense and have a great hol/vacation...

On July 23, 2016 at 7:00 AM, NamKangMan said:

So, you would never drink and drive here, but you do drink - correct?

If so, it appears your freedom of movement is quite restricted here then, when you may chose to consume alcohol.

Now, picture the OP, on holiday here, with a bad knee - no chance.

You seem to try and rationalize why it's OK to drink-drive. But it's never OK. And it's very stupid and selfish to do so.

I gave up getting drunk long ago and don't miss acting the fool, getting sick & vomiting, waking with a terrible hangover and headache. Yeah, don't miss that one bit. 

On 07/08/2016 at 5:17 PM, HerbalEd said:

You seem to try and rationalize why it's OK to drink-drive. But it's never OK. And it's very stupid and selfish to do so.

I gave up getting drunk long ago and don't miss acting the fool, getting sick & vomiting, waking with a terrible hangover and headache. Yeah, don't miss that one bit. 

I do not condone drink driving / riding, am I am certainly not "rationalizing" it, but with no proper public transport here, is it little wonder Phuket has the highest road death statistics of all provinces in Thailand. 

I agree it is a crime, but due to the high cost of tuk-tuks here, many will continue to take a chance on drink driving / riding, which makes the roads here dangerous for ALL of us. 

Edited by NamKangMan