General Delivery in Chiang Mai

CrashTestDummy

Greetings,

I'd like to have some items shipped to me from the US. I'm currently living in Chiang Mai, but am often not home. I expect to be away from home for up to a few weeks at the time that I may be expecting this package.

Based on past topics here, I know I can have items shipped to me "general delivery" at a Chiang Mai post office. How long will they hold the package if I don't claim it immediately?

Second, can anyone provide the exact address of a CM post office, preferably located near Hang Dong Road (I live close to Big-C)? I'm not familiar with Thai address standards and will likely get it wrong if copied from Google, for example.

Thanks in advance.

-CTD

There is a post office about 100 meters before Makro on Hang Dong road. It's not directly out to the road, but there is a sign.

I've had packages kept there; but if you have to pay import tax, you have to get it at the main post office.

There is a post office about 100 meters before Makro on Hang Dong road. It's not directly out to the road, but there is a sign.

I've had packages kept there; but if you have to pay import tax, you have to get it at the main post office.

How will I know if I have to pay import tax. I've never had a package shipped here, so I'm not sure what to expect...

How will I know if I have to pay import tax. I've never had a package shipped here, so I'm not sure what to expect...

Sorry; I pressed the Like button instead of the Reply button.

It will state the post office on the pink slip the postman drops off at your house (if you are not home). Its only in Thai, so you need a Thai to read it and even they have problems to figure it out. Else it just to go to one of the places (50/50 chance).

If you are home and have to pay import tax. the postman will not bring the package; but just give you the slip, and then you have to go to the main post office.

Alright, so since I don't know if I'll have to pay tax, I'm going to assume I'll have to pay tax. Thus I need to ship to the main post office, correct?

I'm having some trouble determining which post office is the main post office in CM. It's one of these two, I think? ----> https://goo.gl/maps/vimEspeeSTP2 ****or**** https://goo.gl/maps/gRZuvAxX2R32

Thanks for the advice.

Edited by CrashTestDummy

Alright, so since I don't know if I'll have to pay tax, I'm going to assume I'll have to pay tax. Thus I need to ship to the main post office, correct?

I'm having some trouble determining which post office is the main post office in CM. It's one of these two, I think? ----> https://goo.gl/maps/vimEspeeSTP2 ****or**** https://goo.gl/maps/gRZuvAxX2R32

Thanks for the advice.

it's the first one of your links.

You could just rent a postal box at your local post office and when the box comes they will put a paper in your box to advise. I think they will hold the box longer than two week if you have a postal box.

except that boxes are in demand and there is a queue. they will hold the post about 3 weeks if you have a box. if they know you well - maybe 4 weeks unless the manager sees it and back it goes to sender.

Quick update: My wife spoke with the manager of the Mae Hia post office (our closest post office). They recommend the package be addressed to our house. When they find no one is home, it'll be held at the post office. They took down our name and said they'd hold a package for us. We asked for a month. They said that was fine. We didn't ask for longer than that, since we wouldn't need it, so I don't know how much longer they'd hold it.

We'll see how this goes... TBD.

you should have stated that you have a home and a home address! of course they will hold it if you have a home or business address and you are not in at the time of delivery! it would have saved all the useless replies in this useless topic.

you should have stated that you have a home and a home address! of course they will hold it if you have a home or business address and you are not in at the time of delivery! it would have saved all the useless replies in this useless topic.

Seemed pretty clear when I said, "I'm currently living in Chiang Mai, but am often not home." You say "of course" they will do this. How am I supposed to know how a foreign country handles circumstances such as this without inquiring and doing a bit of checking?