Connecting my first laptop

emilymat

First of all my apologies for rather a naive question. Guess I'm one of those silver surfers.

Anyway, I've had TOT internet through my landline for 8 years with a desktop computer. On a recent visit to the UK I bought my first laptop that worked OK in the UK through BT internet.

I visited the TOT office in Pattaya and they assured me I have wi-fi already and it's a simple task of entering 192.168.1.1 into my computer and follow that by user name and password - which are both 'admin'.

I said to them that the original TP Link booklet talked about a CD which starts a wet-up Wizard, but I haven't got one. TheTOT people said I don't need it - just follow the above instructions. But I can't enter the info onto my laptop because there is no internet connection.

Clearly I'm doing something wrong, or ommitting something. As I said, it is probably simple for most people on this forum but I'm pulling my hair out!.

I would be most grateful ifsomeone could point mein the right direction, orshould I simply take the laptop to theTOT office and ask them to set me up?.

Many thanks.

I'm not sure why TOT advised you to enter 192.168.1.1, there should be no reason to enter anything to connect to a wifi connection except for the password for your SSID.

Unless they are taking about signing into your router, which would seem likely with 'both passwords being admin'.

If it is your router and you don't know how to access, then TOT should be able to do this for you (setting up wifi security) at their office. Bring your router for setup, and laptop with you to confirm the settings....................wink.png

Edited by chrisinth

Plug an Ethernet cable between laptop and router then enter that IP address (192.168.1.1) into the address bar, then login to your router with admin/admin and carry on setting it up. They would have given you a sheet of paper with your user name details.

As I have understood you used the router before with your desktop PC connected via cable?

This mean that the basic connection settings to connect to ToT are done.

So now you have a laptop and want to connect it to the router via WiFi.

I would indeed follow the advice of the previous post and connect the laptop via cable (as a start).

THEN you should have internet connection without anything to do? Try it.

NOW comes the more difficult part.

192.168.1.1 and logon with admin/admin.

Then check the WiFi ("Wireless") settings in the router.

Has WiFi been turned on?

What's the name of the WiFi and what password?

There should be a "Wireless security" entry in the router menu where you find the WiFi PW?

Name and password of the WiFi are needed to connect to the router via WiFi (without the cable).

Remove the cable, search for "your" WiFi and connect with the password.

What is the manufacturer/model nr. of the router?

Edited by KhunBENQ

Plug an Ethernet cable between laptop and router then enter that IP address (192.168.1.1) into the address bar, then login to your router with admin/admin and carry on setting it up. They would have given you a sheet of paper with your user name details.

Yes, you usually need to connect to the router via an ethernet cable to access the router settings. Wi-Fi is usually not on by default anyway and you will need to turn it on and set it up. Once set up, wifi should work as you expect.

As already stated, connecting your laptop to the router via ethernet should result in an automatic connection because you are now hardwired to the TOT router and not trying to make a Wifi connection.

Now when you click the Wifi icon down in the lower right corner of your Windows screen if Wifi has been turned on in the router you will see it's name there....click on it and it would try to make a connection but would hopefully ask you for a password which you would enter to make the connection. But since you did not setup the password nor know what the password that TOT my have preset, you would not be able to make a connection.

That's where you need to log on the router's setup area using that admin/admin User ID/password, and they "you" setup up the Wifi setting in the router. Like turning the Wifi on if it happened to be turned off, selecting WPA2 encryption, setting a Wifi SSID name for the router (name that is broadcast...make up whatever name you want), and setting the Wifi password.

Now all of that is only setting up your Wifi signal. It does not change the router "Administration" logon User ID/PW of admin/admin....that's completely separate from what you setup in the Wifi. You should also at least change the Administration password to further protect access to your internet/computer. As always, write down/remember the User ID/passwords you select.

To use an analogy, say you needed to get into your locked home to go set something up in one of the rooms...let's call it the Wifi room. Your home's address happens to be 192.168.1.1 OK you have arrived your home's address and standing at the front door which is locked. To get to that Wifi room your first have to get through the home's front door which is locked....unlock that door by using the User ID/PW of admin/admin. OK, now you have got through the front door of your home (your TOT router) and you can go to your Wifi room and make setting changes there such as the Wifi signal name/SSID, encryption method, Wifi password and other stuff.

And I sure hope you indeed have a TOT "Wifi router" which is actually a combo modem and Wifi router versus just a TOT modem/router with no Wifi capability. Around eight years ago when I first got here I had TOT ADSL and I only got a "non-Wifi capable modem/router" since that was free but getting their router which included Wifi cost another Bt1,000. I did not want their Wifi router as I already had a much better Wifi router to hook to their modem/router.

So, if you still have a TOT router from 8 years ago you were using with your desktop via hardwire connection I guess there is a possibility it don't have Wifi capability, or the Wifi part is just not turned on and setup with the Wifi SSID/name and PW you want to use. Good luck.

Edited by Pib

As already stated, connecting your laptop to the router via ethernet should result in an automatic connection because you are now hardwired to the TOT router and not trying to make a Wifi connection.

Now when you click the Wifi icon down in the lower right corner of your Windows screen if Wifi has been turned on in the router you will see it's name there....click on it and it would try to make a connection but would hopefully ask you for a password which you would enter to make the connection. But since you did not setup the password nor know what the password that TOT my have preset, you would not be able to make a connection.

That's where you need to log on the router's setup area using that admin/admin User ID/password, and they "you" setup up the Wifi setting in the router. Like turning the Wifi on if it happened to be turned off, selecting WPA2 encryption, setting a Wifi SSID name for the router (name that is broadcast...make up whatever name you want), and setting the Wifi password.

Now all of that is only setting up your Wifi signal. It does not change the router "Administration" logon User ID/PW of admin/admin....that's completely separate from what you setup in the Wifi. You should also at least change the Administration password to further protect access to your internet/computer. As always, write down/remember the User ID/passwords you select.

To use an analogy, say you needed to get into your locked home to go set something up in one of the rooms...let's call it the Wifi room. Your home's address happens to be 192.168.1.1 OK you have arrived your home's address and standing at the front door which is locked. To get to that Wifi room your first have to get through the home's front door which is locked....unlock that door by using the User ID/PW of admin/admin. OK, now you have got through the front door of your home (your TOT router) and you can go to your Wifi room and make setting changes there such as the Wifi signal name/SSID, encryption method, Wifi password and other stuff.

And I sure hope you indeed have a TOT "Wifi router" which is actually a combo modem and Wifi router versus just a TOT modem/router with no Wifi capability. Around eight years ago when I first got here I had TOT ADSL and I only got a "non-Wifi capable modem/router" since that was free but getting their router which included Wifi cost another Bt1,000. I did not want their Wifi router as I already had a much better Wifi router to hook to their modem/router.

So, if you still have a TOT router from 8 years ago you were using with your desktop via hardwire connection I guess there is a possibility it don't have Wifi capability, or the Wifi part is just not turned on and setup with the Wifi SSID/name and PW you want to use. Good luck.

Thanks Pib

Firstly, although I've had ToT for ever, I moved house about 2 years ago and my router has a little button on the back that says wi-fi. So I think that's OK.

Following earlier advice I had a spare ethernet cable and I have about 4 connections on the back of my router. Unfortunately, my lap-top does not have a port for ethernet!!. Maybe that's because it was a 200 pound basic version (?).

I guess I'll go to ToT on Monday taking my router and laptop and ask the lad to sort me out. Your post was very informative Ta.

Or some write in on the box...

Thank you for the great explanation. I always had my problems setting up routers. Cheers-thumbsup.gif

And always keep in mind the router's Administration default User ID/PW from the internet provider can vary. TOT apparently just uses admin/admin (and my own memory seems to remember that) which should be changed (at least the PW) to help protect your internet connection/computer from hackers. I recently got AIS Fibre 50/10 installed and their router came with a pretty simple Administration User ID/PW (which I won't mention) to get through their front door, but I have since changed it.

Whenever I change internet providers, which is not very often, before I let the installer leave I ensure I know the Administration User ID/PW and we have setup the Wifi name and password with me typing in the Wifi name and password (and they don't look while I select the PW). And then I check to ensure I can make a Wifi connection and also ensure the Administration User ID/PW allows me back in. Then a little after they leave I will change the Administration User ID/PW to make things more secure.

Yeap, the Administration User ID/PW just gets you through the router's locked front door....then you can go into all the router's setup areas, tinker around, and really mess it up to where no one, including yourself, can make a connection. laugh.png

Edited by Pib