Tot Adsl-down Thailand Wide?

Ngee Ngow

Is anyone else having problems with ToT's ADSL this weekend? I'm in Korat and it has been down almost all weekend, except for an hour or two here and there. I called ToT and they said ADSL is down all over Thailand...

1000 Baht per month for unreliable, high speed (?) :o (yeah, high speed alright. It measures 800-900 Kbps on the speed test, but just try downloading large files or God forbid an NHL game on Google Video...10-12 HOURS later) internet access.

T.I.T. I guess...

Hello fellow expat--

Yes, I have been having problems with TOT's adsl for 6 days now. Up some, then down. I live in Nakhon Pathom. This is especially a problem for me as I trade the US stock markets online late at night Thailand time. Do you (or anyone else) know if TT&T offers more reliable service? I understand from knowledgeable local Thais that True is the best ADSL in Thailand, but they do not offer service in Nakhon Pathom.

If anyone has any insights, please post them.

Thanks,

Max

I don't know that any one service provider is better than any others. I have TOT and have read lots about it on this forum, and to be honest have had no problem with it - it's gone out a couple of times in bad weather - but that's about it. I've even seen people that live in the same building as me complaining about no service when mine has been fine.

I guess the grass is always greener...

Grant,

I've had my ToT ADSL for a little over a month and haven't had many problems, other than being pretty ###### slow...up until now.

I just thought the folks I called at ToT were blowing smoke up my a$$, by saying the entire ADSL system was down.

I just thought the folks I called at ToT were blowing smoke up my a$$, by saying the entire ADSL system was down.

Probably true. I'm up in Isaan, 450 km. from The Big Mango. TOT ADSL down all day Saturday, and today (Sunday) until just about 30 minutes ago (1:00pm). Overall, TOT ADSL has been pretty reliable with me, with about 1-2 days a month of down time. I guess for Thaialnd, that's good.

Pai, Mae Hong Son province here

TOT was down all Sat, and seems to be down Sunday (today) as well for the most part. It was working for a few hours before it went flat again.

I also have the 1024K package. Pretty lame. Reliable it isn't. Then again, it has been pretty good the last few months.

One word on DSL reliability in general: Apart from TOT, there are some other factors which can make your DSL unreliable.

My neighbor can basically not connect for more than 15 minutes at a time, then he has to restart his modem. This is due to two factors:

- The DSL modem he has is crap.

- The phone line he has has lots of static (e.g. it's a bad line).

I used to have a Billion DSL modem, and that would go down a couple of times a day, and I would have to physically pull the plug on it a few times. I also had to replace its power converter 3 times (no exaggeration). I eventually just asked TOT to replace it - luckily I had bought it at the TOT shop so they had no excuses.

The replacement was a Zyxel prestige DSL router, and this one stays up and connected for days on end. Every single time my DSL has been down it was down to TOT. I know that because I always check with various internet shops across town whenever the net goes down - invariably, when I am down, everyone is down. I can only recommend the Zyxel. Linksys has a pretty good reputation too.

Suthep area of Chiang Mai - problems most days for myself and everyone else I know on TOT ADSL over the past 2 weeks.

This is what I'm talking about. I'm in the same building as briley and I have had no problem.

Obviously I don't know the Dan Sai Kid - stand up and identify yourself :o

Suthep area of Chiang Mai - problems most days for myself and everyone else I know on TOT ADSL over the past 2 weeks.

This is what I'm talking about. I'm in the same building as briley and I have had no problem.

Obviously I don't know the Dan Sai Kid - stand up and identify yourself :o

I'm not a stalker! We talked on here after the fire. I think the topic was smoke alarms.

Is anyone else having problems with ToT's ADSL this weekend? I'm in Korat and it has been down almost all weekend, except for an hour or two here and there. I called ToT and they said ADSL is down all over Thailand...

1000 Baht per month for unreliable, high speed (?) :o (yeah, high speed alright. It measures 800-900 Kbps on the speed test, but just try downloading large files or God forbid an NHL game on Google Video...10-12 HOURS later) internet access.

T.I.T. I guess...

TOT is having problems keeping up with the demand for broadband hence they need to keep taking their exchanges down to install additional kit. Just ask TOT what the installation lead time is for the Gold Package currently and they will likely quote you several weeks, expect this to continue for a while.

TOT has been stable so far today, but I am going to have TT&T installed as well and run them side-by-side and see which one is better over a 1-2 month period. I trade the US stock markets at nite and it is a real hassle to have to run off to the only internet cafe in the middle of the night when TOT goes down. Anybody have an opinion of TOT vs. TT&T in terms of reliability/up time, speed, quality of customer service, etc.?

Thanks,

Matt

I'm living in Krabi and in here it's a mess.

Today it's the 8th day of non-functioning Internet.

I've called the 1100 number like 511 times and it's still a no go :o

TOT's whole handling of this issue is the worst i've ever encountered.

It's mind boggling to experience such a low watermark

in a customer/company relation ship.

My experience can easily be used as a "How not to do" guide for new startup companies.

I've already demanded a refund for every day of lost service....

I'm also being active at the TOT's forum, weathering my frustrations, here:

http://www.tot.co.th/tot/board/bb2_v1/viewtopic.php?t=11236

I solved a TOT ADSL , 1024/512 speed problem a while ago using a small program, TCPOptimizer.exe, easily available for download.

The only thing I changed was the MTU settings, original setup was at 1492, changed to 1428, works like a charm. (Maximum Transmissible Units)

Checking email at Yahoo, gmail and the likes was slower than dialup or impossible, pressing buttons like "reply" and so on.

I solved a TOT ADSL , 1024/512 speed problem a while ago using a small program, TCPOptimizer.exe, easily available for download.

The only thing I changed was the MTU settings, original setup was at 1492, changed to 1428, works like a charm. (Maximum Transmissible Units)

Checking email at Yahoo, gmail and the likes was slower than dialup or impossible, pressing buttons like "reply" and so on.

Your are right. My friend had a lot of disconnecting problems. We changes his setting to 1400. Problems are past. This setting is very important. You don't have to use TCPOptimizer though. You can change this setting yourself in your modem or modem/router.

Petch01

• 8 months later...

T.I.T. I guess...

ToT has been almost down in Surin for two weeks. speeds less than 150 Kbps, no mail server, no DNS out of Thailand...totally FUBAR. Worst is there is no one who speaks English in the region. and no one who gives a shit.

T.I.T. I guess...

ToT has been almost down in Surin for two weeks. speeds less than 150 Kbps, no mail server, no DNS out of Thailand...totally FUBAR. Worst is there is no one who speaks English in the region. and no one who gives a shit.

Yes, Surin has a major problem with useless maintenance staff.

No phones in the village for 3 weeks and very slow TOT Ipstar as well.

All used to be OK several TOT Presidents ago.

Roger in T.Sawai

• 2 weeks later...

ToT is without any doubt the WORST service on the face of the planet. How can we get their attention? I have had limited to zero service in Surin since Wednesday, 15 August. Today, they have sort of acceptable bandwidth within Thailand, but less than 40Kb service out of Thailand. And NO ONE Gives a shit!

TOT has been stable so far today, but I am going to have TT&T installed as well and run them side-by-side and see which one is better over a 1-2 month period. I trade the US stock markets at nite and it is a real hassle to have to run off to the only internet cafe in the middle of the night when TOT goes down. Anybody have an opinion of TOT vs. TT&T in terms of reliability/up time, speed, quality of customer service, etc.?

Hi Mat.

I've been with TOT now for a month on their Gold (1000/512) ADSL package and am very disappointed.

Sure, it beats the S**T out of a land-line connection, but is NOT what I was wanting or expecting. If you go to http://www.numion.com/YourSpeed3/Run.php?Q...=SelectDefaults You will see the comparative speeds between Inet acess inside and outside Thailand. I get downloads speeds of between between 700 and 900kbps in the internal access, but connecting to the rest of the world is horrendous! Minimum 50 and max 100. Which translates into an average 20 KB per second when downloading, say, a movie. Makes me pig sick to realise that for a quater of what I'm paying, people in Europe can whack down movies at 300 KBps.

Most of the time is uptime, and I haven't been having the "national outage" that everywhere else is reporting. Only yesterday did the "carrier" drop out a couple of times for an hour or so.

Tweaking with TCP Optimizer seems to be making a lot of difference, though. A guess is that so far I have improved download and access speeds between 50 and 100% - but I only got it yesterday and am still fiddling with it.

Cheers

R

Hi.

I've been playing with TCPOptimizer (still fiddling and learning!) and it has a little tab (largetst MTU) to calculate the MTU setting. As with you, it gave me 1428.

If you hit the HELP link on the top line, you get their website with a very clear and useful set of steps to set everything up. As most of the defaults are blank in most of the options, this is very useful to read and setup.

I was getting really broken downloads before, but now things are much better!

Rob

Mine, TOT, was down for a while. Tech came and saw my line split without a splitter.

I turned around for a minute and he had fled.... :D

He came a second time , I had installed a splitter to please him and had replaced all of the wiring (3 yr old only) with new wiring. But he then said I did not have the filter installed. I explained there was a lot of crackling on the line even though I had replaced the wiring and that there must be a problem with the external line or at the exchange. No dial tone at times but the line came to life if I used my cell phone to call the home number... :D

I turned around for a minute and he had fled... :bah: :bah:

He came a third time and I crushed the filter with my foot to get my point across, phone unplugged. Still, there was no dial tone at times on the phone but there was when he came.

Again he insisted on the filter. I insisted on the external line or exchange problem to which he replied that he must then be stupid since he is only a "technician" :D

I turned around for a minute and he had fled.... :o;):D

Then we lost the dial tone for 4 days. No phone, no net. The wife got a follow-up call from TOT and overheard the techs radio in the background saying there were 4 lines damaged at the exchange. :o

I will confirm with the tech about his stupidity if he ever shows up again. :D

A month before that we had been disconnected for the second time in a year because of their automatic payment system that failed.

"Unforgettable Thailand"

Edited by Tony Clifton

• 1 month later...

T.I.T. I guess...

I live on Koh Tao, where the TOT internet speed is supposed to be the same 1mbps, but I rarely see speeds of over 300 kbps... I have called them three times a week for months, each time they say there technition will fix the problem, but it never happens. Now I am asking for a reduction in the price I pay, even to lower the package from gold to Silver to pay less each moth for the same service, but they seem to be stonewalling me there too... has anyone had any luck with motivating this shiite Co. (TOT) to do anything??? It makes me feel sorry for Thailand that the rest of the world is learning and growing, while ToT holds back so much potential.

I live on Koh Tao, where the TOT internet speed is supposed to be the same 1mbps, but I rarely see speeds of over 300 kbps... I have called them three times a week for months, each time they say there technition will fix the problem, but it never happens. Now I am asking for a reduction in the price I pay, even to lower the package from gold to Silver to pay less each moth for the same service, but they seem to be stonewalling me there too... has anyone had any luck with motivating this shiite Co. (TOT) to do anything??? It makes me feel sorry for Thailand that the rest of the world is learning and growing, while ToT holds back so much potential.

During office hours call TOT Samui: 077-412412

The people you get on the phone have no technical knowledge, but they are the only ones who can call one of the 2 TOT technicians on Koh Tao. One of those guys might be able to help you out, just don't expect too much.

If you call 1100, you get someone in Bangkok on the phone. They will ask questions about the lights on the modem/router, take your number and tell you that you'll be called back. Which they will do. Next year maybe.

TOT Samui has their company branch policy written on their door: some Thai text with the English words Just Pay.

Explanation: we don't really care what your problem is. You can even come to our office and complain, but we still don't care as long as you pay the monthly bill. If you don't pay, we cut you off and sell the phone number and -line to someone else, chances are they complain less.