What can you do now in Thailand that you couldn't do twenty years ago?

geronimo

Buy crappy processed foods at Lotus.and non nutritional white bread, Get stuck in  traffic jam in front of a school. every morning and  afternoon. Buy pizza with mayonaise and ketchup on it but no cheese. Pay 400 baht for a massage from some one who never took a massage course.  Go to Thermae Cafe and be ignored for not being Japanese. Get refused often by cabbies not wanting to take you or not wanting to use meter. Find a girl with more tattos than Zebra.s have stripes. Walk in front of Nana plaza and have ladyboys grab at you. Pay more for home country food in Thailand than at home and not as good. Pay a barfine of 400 to 1000 baht,instead of 100 or 200 like 20 years ago.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, lovelomsak said:

Buy crappy processed foods at Lotus.and non nutritional white bread, Get stuck in  traffic jam in front of a school. every morning and  afternoon. Buy pizza with mayonaise and ketchup on it but no cheese. Pay 400 baht for a massage from some one who never took a massage course.  Go to Thermae Cafe and be ignored for not being Japanese. Get refused often by cabbies not wanting to take you or not wanting to use meter. Find a girl with more tattos than Zebra.s have stripes. Walk in front of Nana plaza and have ladyboys grab at you. Pay more for home country food in Thailand than at home and not as good. Pay a barfine of 400 to 1000 baht,instead of 100 or 200 like 20 years ago.

Somehow I suspect you're having a bad day!

On 8/1/2016 at 7:32 PM, t8769 said:

There's a lot to be said for the old days.
No internet, no phones - we had a lot of time to relax and talk - it was very social.
How many young people do you see staring into a plastic screen 5" from their faces.
Things moved very slowly and there was so much time to read books and enjoy.

Bangkok pollution was unbelievable and no BTS.

But I don't know if I could go back there.
I'm too used to modern comforts and instant communication.
Now I can sit in a Bangkok hotel room and work, or message friends to meet up.
Sometimes I wonder how we got anything done before smart phones!

20 years ago, all Thai people had Tetris games stuck in their face.

7 hours ago, lovelomsak said:

Look at 30 years ago with ladies as a thing of youth. I can look forward to grandchildren now and love a 52 year old wife  of 28 years.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, 20 to 30 years ago, depending:

• Girls couldn't contact you on email, line or mobile phone
  • Thailand really was the wild west
  • Everyone smoked in bars
  • Bars played rock music
  • You could swim at Pattaya
  • Tuk tuks were the only taxis in Bangkok
  • Girls preferred long to short time
  • Chiang Mai actually had a night life
  • Don Muang was the only int airport
  • Western food was harder to find so generally ate healthier
  • Kloster Beer was abundant
  • No internet, followed by slow dial-up. But it didn't matter anyway.
  • You read the morning newspapers with a tar like coffee
  • Phuket was a sleepy town with just a couple of beer bars
  • You could get round Asia tickets cheap and visit many countries
  • Rarely saw a tranny

Yeah, things are so much better now that you can pay bills at the 7-11.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9-9-2016 at 3:06 AM, Ulysses G. said:

That is nothing new, but it was easier to pay someone off 20 years ago.

I never had to bribe a cop for working in my cafe, which I did almost everyday and they knew it. Thailand was an easy and fun country before the Thaksin era.

Edited by flyDelight

You can get Starbucks in Surin after your go to the waterpark with your kids. You can see Thai people eating all the junk food and fast food that westerners love. You can't find small family-owned and managed shops easily. You can find traffic jams in most parts of Thailand at rush hour.