What can you do now in Thailand that you couldn't do twenty years ago?

geronimo

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whine-----Whine---Whine....on Thai Visa and any other blog, about how bad the Thais are...how surprised you were to find out your bride who is just a tad younger --58 years, no longer seems in awe of you.......how very very dangerous the whole country is. How your superior intellect just isn't appreciated enough here....I could go on infinitum ---but that might be construed as whining about the whiners............coffee1.gif

I think the Australians had the right expression when I lived there----(& you really couldn't get a better county for families-)

"You always know when a plane is full of POMS---- The engine has been switched off but you can still hear the whining "

Whine-----Whine---Whine....on Thai Visa and any other blog, about how bad the Thais are...how surprised you were to find out your bride who is just a tad younger --58 years, no longer seems in awe of you.......how very very dangerous the whole country is. How your superior intellect just isn't appreciated enough here....I could go on infinitum ---but that might be construed as whining about the whiners............coffee1.gif

I think the Australians had the right expression when I lived there----(& you really couldn't get a better county for families-)

"You always know when a plane is full of POMS---- The engine has been switched off but you can still hear the whining "

Lol, I'm English, but as I write this I'm wearing an Australian t-shirt, so not sure which side I'm laughing for.

To answer the OP question:

Get Laid. I couldn't get that when I was in my mid 20's, had hair and a bit of muscle and modest levels of fat, (oh, and zero confidence - until that is I read a book about how to maintain Alpha with dogs, which I kid you not, was the book that taught me more than any other about how to get women at your feet back in the homelands - that is absolutely in no way intended to be a derogatory statement, but I promise you they can only respect you if you have status of some kind. Okay, I like dogs, they are fiercely loyal (apart from screwing next doors pet), which makes them more like blokes in that you're allowed to have more than one friend without the others getting jealous.

Back to topic: Apparently now I have the best looking wallet sized piece of plastic out there. I have endless fun watching them trying to get 'their' money out of 'my' savings. (I'm not talking about 'red light' districts either back in my previous country or this one, which is even more like shooting fish in a barrel).

I've been more or less monogamous for 6 years now though, so maybe I'll never taste the forbidden fruit again.

I'd go back to the Thailand of the 20 years ago in a heartbeat, spare me the generation of narcissism

and self indulgences of today, the slaves and depended of the digital media that without it people will

kill themselves with out FB, instagram and alike, the air was cleaner prices cheaper, people much nicer

and don't get me started on the ladies and the nightlife.....

32 years ago... Utopia....really.

How many would agree?

Bkk, Ambassador hotel, b4 they did the front renovations to the eatery’s, Check-inn 99 inj it’s hey day, The Coffee shop, (Thermae) and the best Thai fried rice at ANY mobile cooking station.

Are you quite sure you couldn't pay your bills at 7-11 20 years ago? I don't remember exactly when that service was started, but it seems to me it was earlier than 1996. You sure could get locked up for your opinion back then if you insulted a member of the Royal Family, and especially the King. I recall some idiot who stomped on a 20 baht bill and the owner of the bar called the cops. He didn't get the full 15 years in jail, but he had a hard time for a while.

It was not enforced, and so not widely known, but you were required to register every 90 days back in 1996. The regulation was put in place in 1978 and was printed on the TM 7 card. I got called on it a couple of times, but don't remember why. I wasn't fined, just required to fill out the report during a visa extension. A lot of people were taken by surprise when they started enforcing it regularly in 1998 or so, but the requirement was there all along.

I'm not sure about the big bike. I think there was a Harley dealership in Bangkok, but I'm not into that kind of thing so am not sure. The sky train project was bogged down over land acquisition and financing, so that's right, it wasn't until Thaksin became prime minister that suddenly all the problems disappeared and it got built. Same with the Cobra Swamp airport.

I think one thing you missed was internet access. In 1996 the internet was still only available at a couple of universities. I know Kasedsat had an access point, and St. John's School had a connection over a 1200 baud telephone line, but there was, as yet, no public access and the connections were super expensive.

Walk through the few abandoned building projects on the outskirts of Bangkok which fell foul to the crash of 1997. Always an eerie and atmospheric, sobering (when you think of the sheer amount of money lost) experience, especially just as a storm approaches. Can't wait to get back in Sept/Oct.

Walk anywhere for leisure or take any form of exercise in public without drawing comments about being 'crazy' from the locals.

Often recently when I am out walking I find myself with Thai company either a fellow walker or a cyclist or jogger along the way at some point.

In the past my walks were always totally solitary affairs bar the odd motorcycle buzzing by. Thais seems to have woken up to the importance of healthy exercise these last ten years or so.

Actually have a conversation with my present gf without arguing daily about her cell phone obsession.

I grew tired of it currently. Now l just ignore her when she's on it...which is every waking minute.

Much the same with me , if anyone starts to pick up a phone of any app. make size or capability I stop talking to whoever the perp is , If previously i get " Excuse me I need to make a call " ok but " I have a bad habit , I can't leave my phone alone it might stop talking to me ".

Have an nice, quiet, relaxing vacation in Pattaya on the mellow, laid-back beach front and walking street. Well, Ok, that was thirty years ago, but who's counting. Same, same but different. biggrin.png

Isn't it POHM--Prisoner of Her/His Majesty? Or are you speaking Cockney and dropped the "H"?

20 yrs ago I couldn't collect Social Security,

And 20 years from now, Social Security will be a distant memory.

Don't agree there will still have goverment hand outs in 20 years

Social Security is not a government hand out. It is something that had to be paid into, and I paid into it since I was 14 yrs old.

20 yrs ago I couldn't collect Social Security,

And 20 years from now, Social Security will be a distant memory.

Don't agree there will still have goverment hand outs in 20 years

Social Security is not a government hand out. It is something that had to be paid into, and I paid into it since I was 14 yrs old.

Just to correct you sorry you paid NI not for your pension pot but for the generations before you, for there goverment pension hand out. You hand out will be paid for by the generations after you through there NI. Which is why I said there will still be government hand outs.