No ATM fee...

Jiu-Jitsu

Way, way beyond the darkside. I hope the lack of ATM fees compensate for the cost of the commute.

Pretty interesting to see a mainland Chinese bank branch outwith the Bangkok hub of self importance though. They will probably start cropping up in the boonies, near the new railway lines...

Way, way beyond the darkside. I hope the lack of ATM fees compensate for the cost of the commute.

Pretty interesting to see a mainland Chinese bank branch outwith the Bangkok hub of self importance though. They will probably start cropping up in the boonies, near the new railway lines...

I did write...and beyond smile.png

I can't imagine that it would be convenient for most.

I do posses a KBank debit card and I'm not charged at a SCB ATM.

The banks changed their fee-policies as well......transferring money inter-banks is a lot cheaper now.

They're more and more going to the system of more electronic payments and less bank-activities.

but than my 'home' bank, who supply my mastercard, will slug me a 'foreign currency conversion fee' of 1.5%, no matter, where i withdraw.

thank you for your input, but.

cheers

Get a better card Manfred smile.png

i would love to. any suggestions?

i have a visa issued by hsbc and a master from westpac, both issued in australia, my home country.

they work well and are cheap to have and use inside oz as long as you don't pay interest - still around 20% p/a.

australian banks appear to be some of the most profitable on this planet, probably due to the exorbitant fees they charge.

cheers

but than my 'home' bank, who supply my mastercard, will slug me a 'foreign currency conversion fee' of 1.5%, no matter, where i withdraw.

cheers

i have a visa issued by hsbc and a master from westpac, both issued in australia, my home country.

they work well and are cheap to have and use inside oz as long as you don't pay interest - still around 20% p/a.

australian banks appear to be some of the most profitable on this planet, probably due to the exorbitant fees they charge.

cheers

Citibank Plus

More info

https://www.citibank.com.au/global_docs/pdf/Feesandcharges.pdf

just re - read the post you linked to...

did you make your withdrawal with a credit card? or did you draw on your own funds with a debit card?

It makes no difference. The point is to utilise a fee free card, whether credit or debit.

cheers

cheers

Citibank Plus

More info

according to the link you posted: citibank's overseas transaction charge is 2.5% - 1% higher than what i get charged whistling.gif

did you make your withdrawal with a credit card? or did you draw on your own funds with a debit card?

It makes no difference. The point is to utilise a fee free card, whether credit or debit.

i believe there is a massive difference.

if you withdraw your own funds and you are not getting charged atm fees you have done well.

if you withdraw a 'cash advance' from your credit card you will pay interest on that amount from that day, which, even on citi's lowest cost credit card is somewhere between 12.24% and 22.24%.

your fee - free atm transaction of say A$1000 will cost you between A$ 0.34 and A$ 0.61 each day until fully paid out. not a good deal at all.

cheers

cheers

Citibank Plus

More info

according to the link you posted: citibank's overseas transaction charge is 2.5% - 1% higher than what i get charged whistling.gif

I expected you to be dopey enough to post that in the first instance. Now go back and read it again.

This time you might note in the title;

Local & International Payments and Foreign Currency Services (Excludes Citibank Plus Transaction and Citibank Online Saver Accounts)

So stop the silly whistling.

i believe there is a massive difference.

if you withdraw your own funds and you are not getting charged atm fees you have done well.

if you withdraw a 'cash advance' from your credit card you will pay interest on that amount from that day, which, even on citi's lowest cost credit card is somewhere between 12.24% and 22.24%.

your fee - free atm transaction of say A$1000 will cost you between A$ 0.34 and A$ 0.61 each day until fully paid out. not a good deal at all.

Wow...you are really excelling yourself of late. What's to stop you from covering your CC cash advance/ATM withdrawal with an online banking payment immediately?

Even if you are a day late.... that is a cost of AU$0.34c as you put it. How is that not a good deal?

You need to stop objecting senselessly.

Let's say I withdrew £500 using the Halifax Clarity at 12.9% APR. At approx. 1% per month, that works out to £0.17p per day. I can cover that payment almost immediately, but I usually wait until the next day. So a max of £0.17p on a withdrawal of £500.

Did you really need me to explain this to you?

This is far from Pattaya.

Sounds like some of you should spend more time thinking about making money rather than spending your day on how to save £4. Same for mobile data.

What a useless post! Do you imagine that you have imparted some great wisdom?

The post is for information. If it suits even one person, then it has been of use.

As to mobile data, people will often just choose the packages available to them. Once they know of cheaper and more flexible options, they'll choose them, if it suits them.

A nonsense post about people thinking about making more money....is just that...nonsense. Should a retired person on a fixed income start thinking about how to make more money or apply methods to pay less for exactly the same product.

I think that you are just Trolling.

i can only shake my head... dozens of ATM threads... hundreds of postings, most of them bitching. where's the problem to transfer once in a while a reasonable amount to a Thai bank and use a debit card for purchases and withdrawing cash?

coffee1.gif

i can only shake my head... dozens of ATM threads... hundreds of postings, most of them bitching. where's the problem to transfer once in a while a reasonable amount to a Thai bank and use a debit card for purchases and withdrawing cash?

coffee1.gif

Because that option doesn't suit everyone? I also don't understand when someone like you posts the transfer to Thai bank idea, thinking that it is the panacea for all.

coffee1.gif

Totally agree. Any tourist or casual visitor won't go to some obscure ATM in the middle of an industrial estate to save £4.

Some people are just penny wise and pound foolish Some get it and some don't.

coffee1.gif

Because that option doesn't suit everyone? I also don't understand when someone like you posts the transfer to Thai bank idea, thinking that it is the panacea for all.

i can only repeat what another member posted and that is "pennywise, pound foolish". that applies especially to bend-over-backward methods such as credit card withdrawals and balancing the debit by ebanking transfer to minise cash advance charges.

gimme a break man! saai.gif

cheers

I don't think any Australian cards have free currency conversion, and they charge per transaction too, so you get hit 3 times here. They say the Australian banks are amongst the world's most profitable... they are ruthless with their charges.sad.png

coffee1.gif

i can only repeat what another member posted and that is "pennywise, pound foolish". that applies especially to bend-over-backward methods such as credit card withdrawals and balancing the debit by ebanking transfer to minise cash advance charges.

I have some bank accounts which don't allow internet transfers to anywhere - they're in the Philippines. If I need cash from these banks the only option is to use the ATM. I cut my losses by making the maximum withdrawal of 30k. Why do I have these accounts?... because they are extremely useful in other ways.

coffee1.gif

If you can only repeat someone else's quote, that doesn't say much for your opinion. Which in my opinion, is foolish...and I'll explain why....

I might have a Thai bank account and choose to fund it by taking a cash advance from my CC and depositing directly in my Thai bank account. An immediate saving on the twin bank fees from sending and receiving funds on an International transfer. I can then make a few taps on my Smartphone and cover that withdrawal in a few seconds. Bend over backwards? I would consider having to open a bank account in Thailand in order to prevent being gouged by an unreasonable ATM fee, an inconvenience.

Is someone foolish for choosing to save on those fees?

Seriously, just because you don't care about the fees, it does not and should not mean that no one else does not and should not. That is the way of fascism, Naam.

Here we point of the possible alternatives in so that people can decide which way suits them best.

Only an idiot would imagine that one size fits all is optimal.

So 'Penny wise and Pound foolish' is not at all apt in this case. For those on a fixed income, it makes sense to pay as little as possible for exactly the same object.

So, at least try to exhibit intelligence instead of arrogance.

cheers

I don't think any Australian cards have free currency conversion, and they charge per transaction too, so you get hit 3 times here. They say the Australian banks are amongst the world's most profitable... they are ruthless with their charges.sad.png

Did you check the link that I supplied to Manfred?

cheers

cheers

I just commented on that before I read your post here. Australian banks are incredibly expensive. Westpac CC - 21.49% currently. The best option is to wire it over to a Thai bank account for about AUD $25 (it could be more - haven't done it for awhile) and send AUD. Don't convert in Australia - they'll screw you.

coffee1.gif

Totally agree. Any tourist or casual visitor won't go to some obscure ATM in the middle of an industrial estate to save £4.

Some people are just penny wise and pound foolish Some get it and some don't.

Yes, but an expat can utilise it to fund a Thai bank account. Therefore saving on transfer fees. It's not likely to suit everyone, but does that mean that it shouldn't be posted?

What is more interesting is that people like yourself and Naam bother to post of threads like these at all.

If they do not pertain to you why are you posting on the thread? You add nothing of value.

If you aren't intelligent enough to understand all of the options, we can help you with that. But if you don't need help....move right along and give the people who need help the space.

cheers

Did you check the link that I supplied to Manfred?

I did now. Thanks! That's a good lead for people living in Australia. Unfortunately I can't open an account there as I'm not a permanent resident of Australia.sad.png

a little off topic, Does any one know of an atm machine that will disributre more then 10k, they all ask if you want more and when you ask for it they decline it.

A limit of your bank/ATM card I would guess. Many UK debit cards limit withdrawals to £250 to £300 per withdrawal. Wasn't a problem until the ATM charges were introduced.

Archived