USM - Arrival Baggage Scam

Can not see this mentioned on first page so apologies if already covered.

Arrived on an international flight yesterday to the usual belt and on collection and pushing up the ramp EVERYONE was being directed to load luggage and hand baggage onto the scanner that has been in plastic wrap for what seems like years.

Our purchases abroad included a few home decor items that are impossible to find in the usual Samui DIY outlets and you guessed it dragged into the side office while the 'Customs Officers' worked out the shakedown. My appeal that these were personal items for personal use in my own home for which I had brought a substantial amount of overseas money into the Thailand economy fell on dear ears as I was lectured that personal effects are used clothes only and absolutely everything else is taxable on arrival at a Duty rate of 10% of full value PLUS 7% VAT of full value for those requiring a detailed receipt for the charges.......whistling.gif

Edited by julesandmartin
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

While we are at this lovely new scanner.

Can someone explain the precise rules for electronic cigarettes because the customs are quite eager to tell you there is a 5 years prison sentence for importing electronic cigarettes even just for personal use with no flavoring, yet thai airways suggest people to leave electronic cigarettes in the luggage and not on carry on.

9th trip to samui and never had any problems with electronic cigarettes before other than they just ask what it is, and that's it. This time we had an issue.

Only used clothes are accepted as personal items? I can't believe....

On the other hands, you must accept that if you bring new stuff from outside Thailand there are certain custom rules. Not everything what might be personal is tax free.

edited the title! removed a nonsense post.

Thank you Jimmy for taking responsibility for the title change, my Samui lawyer (if sober enough) can use that in my defense as I never reported a scam just a scan tongue.png

On the issue of personal effects I appreciate there must be limits however not to exercise discretion over a few rolls of wallpaper even by Thai standards is a little draconian. I even got waved through customs with a shaken head in Dubai carrying a double-glazed window bought from Homepro and they are too not well known for flexibility!.

More worryingly is the new potential for anything from your laptop, watch, rings, mobile phone etc etc to be charged as an import similarly at USM, if so my only advice is be polite and ask for a receipt for all charges as they only accept cash. wai2.gif

• Like 2

edited the title! removed a nonsense post.

You may remember this from a while back.

Bangkok:- The Customs Department is planning to grant the import-duty exemption for a higher value of products that people have brought into Thailand for personal use or souvenirs.

At present, arriving passengers must pay import duty if their products are worth over Bt10,000. Tax rate is 30 per cent. This threshold has often provoked outcry, with tourists complaining that items for their own use or souvenirs for just family members can easily go past that amount in current economic conditions.

The other day, a woman was dismayed when customers officials at the Suvanabhumi Airport told her to pay Bt37,000 in tax for a luxury bag she bought for herself during a trip to Japan.

We will increase the threshold taking into account what are being used in other ASEAN nations, the departments deputy director general Paisal Chuenjit says. He has not revealed the planned amount yet.

He, however, explains that while the new plan has not yet taken effect, everyone must strictly comply with current law governing imported items.

Paisal says customs officials have now particularly checked Thai tourists coming back from Japan, South Korea and Europe. Records show such groups of tourists have usually returned with new products worth over Bt10,000 but failed to make declarations.

And we have found that many of them have bought these products for commercial purpose. They have advertised those products online, he says.

According to Paisal, the Customs Department will soon accept credit-card/debt-card payment for import duty so as to give convenience for people who do not carry cash with them.

[edit]http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/802810-customs-department-to-increase-duty-treshhold-for-tourists/?hl=%2Bimport+%2Bduty+%2Bairport

I think they increased it to 20k and put signs up at Swampy. Huge outcry as most phones never mind laptops are worth more than that. The signs were removed and I have never heard anything about it since..... other than usual.

Edited by notmyself

Can someone explain the precise rules for electronic cigarettes because the customs are quite eager to tell you there is a 5 years prison sentence for importing electronic cigarettes even just for personal use with no flavoring, yet thai airways suggest people to leave electronic cigarettes in the luggage and not on carry on.

9th trip to samui and never had any problems with electronic cigarettes before other than they just ask what it is, and that's it. This time we had an issue.

By law no high discharge batteries are allowed in checked baggage (same as power banks) and must be in your carry on. I strip my tanks and put them in my checked luggage, batteries (in a plastic box) go in my carry on.

Importation of ecigarettes is banned - https://www.yahoo.com/news/thailand-bans-import-water-pipes-e-cigarettes-140626185.html?ref=gs - if you're bringing one into the country then I guess it counts as importation.

I believe same applies to eliquid, I've certainly had stuff seized in the post at customs.

Edited by rwdrwdrwd

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
On 7/26/2016 at 4:45 PM, Virt said:

hello, can I know what happened ? and how often do they use the xray scanner for international flights ?

thanks.