Car driving license after motorcycle license

cerox

Hello guys,

this is my plan: In a few days I'm going to do the motorcycle license in Chiang Mai. I have a German driving license (for cars and motorcycles up to 125cc). I'm not going to let the embassy certify and translate my documents - after reading a lot and seeing this simple theory test, I figured it is less effort to do it from scratch.

I'll do the motorcycle license first. As I understand it, I need to bring my own car to make the car license.

My questions are:

- has anybody done both licenses in one day?

- if I do the car license later (not ages later, I mean like a week or two weeks later), do I need to do the theory exam and all the examinations (depth, eyes etc.) again? Of course provided that my med. certificate is still in the 30 days range etc.

I did a lot of research but nobody seemed to have experience how to do both licenses shortly one after another. The simplest thing would be (e.g. next day) to do the driving test only, since everything else has been tested with the motorcycle process. But I doubt that it is that easy so I'd like to ask about your experience. If I have to do everything twice, it's also fine, I just want to be able to plan.

Thanks for your reply.

I will ask anyway on the day I do the motorcycle license, but it's always good if someone already has experiene. It's the DLT in Chiang Mai, if someone has done it before.

It can (or at least could) be done in the Pattaya branch. Do the physical and theory tests. Once those and the video (or two) finishes, do both driving tests using the results of the previous tests for both of them. You can (or could) even rent a car for the test at one of the kiosks opposite the building if you only had your bike with you.

• 2 months later...

Many thanks for all the contribution. I'm sorry for the late reply, I did the license a few months ago but forgot to share my experience.

In Chiang Mai they told me I can do both motorbike and car on the same day, however the theoretical exam has to be done twice - yes it is the same test , but two different piles of documents :) The colour pointing test etc. only once.

In CM you need to bring your own car. What I did is I went to the embassy of my home country to get my license certified. They gave me the car license right away , but asked me to do the theoretical exam and ride my motorbike in a circle outside. All took only half a day there after preparing the documents.

Things have probably changed but when i got my Thai licenses i had a international driving permit from my home country  which allowed me to drive any type of vehicle and any size motorbike

Just did the color blindness and reaction time tests and got my licenses

I did not have to sit and watch their video but rules have probably changed now from 10 years ago

I did have to watch the video the last time i renewed my licenses

18 hours ago, madmax2 said:

Things have probably changed but when i got my Thai licenses i had a international driving permit from my home country  which allowed me to drive any type of vehicle and any size motorbike

Just did the color blindness and reaction time tests and got my licenses

I did not have to sit and watch their video but rules have probably changed now from 10 years ago

I did have to watch the video the last time i renewed my licenses

Everyone has to watch the vid on renewal, something to do with "trying" to reduce road casualties...

Having a proper driving license test would reduce road casualties,Driving on a enclosed test track with no other traffic would not qualify you for a license in the majority of countries

If you fail you can keep coming back day after day until you pass the test or the examiners feel sorry for you or go elsewhere and pay a fee, cost my wife 1000 baht for a license after 4 driving lessons, arranged by the driving instructor with 3 other learners, now they allowing driving schools to do the test i believe from reading a popular news site

Archived