Heart Surgery in Chiang Mai

Konrad 12

Firstly good to hear you are on the mend and had good experience/doctor. Expect some might be interested in the cost - as you mention 2/3 of the price which means little without the price.

Bangkok Hospital AFAIK is actually Bangkok General Hospital/Bangkok Hospital China Town/Bangkok Heart Hospital and Wattanosoth Cancer Hospital - all in Bangkok. Those located outside of Bangkok may have there name but they are not branches but are part of the same Dusit Medical Services Network that Bangkok Hospital is in AFAIK.

Dear Lopburi3, Sorry not to mention the price, I was offered a package for THB 750K/7 days. Including some extras it came to just over 800K. Extras also depend on whether complications occur. In my case my smoker lungs needed some special attention.

About the exact company structure I have to pass, and am probably wrong. You are right, that they belong to Dusit Medical Services Network, Sorry about that, during my stay, I was more focused on what happend to my body and how I felt treated.

I am astonished to hear the price of your surgery. I had a quintuple bypass in 2011 in the USA. The thoracic surgeon who performed the bypass was elated at the results immediately after the surgery, but I suffered a complication within hours called ARDS (Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome), unrelated to the bypass, and ended up on a ventilator in ICU for 2 weeks. I did recover and was released after 25 days. Cost of my surgery and hospital time was over $254,000, or $B8,900,000. I realise my costs were inflated by the complication, but it still would have been well over $100,000 even with no complications. At least I was insured, and my cost was exactly $2,000. I am glad you have a new lease on life. Enjoy it. I know that I do.

For comparison purposes, I had bypass surgery performed on me last December at Rajavithi Hospital in Bangkok. This government hospital is known as one of the top hospitals in Thailand for heart surgery. My doctor's name was Peenatchanee and she is the head of the cardiac surgery department. I entered the hospital on 16 December, had the bypass surgery on 18 Dec, recovered in the ICU for 2 1/2 days and then stayed in a private room until I was released on 28 Dec. The total cost for everything was just under 300,000 baht. I actually had surgery less than 3 weeks after I initially went to this hospital to have my arteries checked out. Within that 3 week period I also had an angiogram at the same hospital for an additional 20,000 baht. I've also returned for checkups with the doctor every several weeks and only had to pay for the medicine that was prescribed for me (at very reasonable prices, I might add).

For comparison purposes, I had bypass surgery performed on me last December at Rajavithi Hospital in Bangkok. This government hospital is known as one of the top hospitals in Thailand for heart surgery. My doctor's name was Peenatchanee and she is the head of the cardiac surgery department. I entered the hospital on 16 December, had the bypass surgery on 18 Dec, recovered in the ICU for 2 1/2 days and then stayed in a private room until I was released on 28 Dec. The total cost for everything was just under 300,000 baht. I actually had surgery less than 3 weeks after I initially went to this hospital to have my arteries checked out. Within that 3 week period I also had an angiogram at the same hospital for an additional 20,000 baht. I've also returned for checkups with the doctor every several weeks and only had to pay for the medicine that was prescribed for me (at very reasonable prices, I might add).

So there is a considerable difference between the 320,000 baht you paid, and the OP's bill of 800,000 baht. Admittedly there is a difference between 2.5 days in an ICU and 4 days, possibly also in the complexity of the procedure. Does it explain the discrepancy? I don't think so.

Now who was that person who was castigating me for recommending shopping around? facepalm.gif