Jungceylon set for final inspection before re-opening Port Zone

webfact

Jungceylon set for final inspection before re-opening Port Zone
Chanida Summast

1469627318_1-org.jpg
Patong Mayor Chalermluck Kebsup (2nd from right) and Kathu District Chief Sayan Chaichanawong (left) first inspected the site on June 8.

PHUKET: -- Governor Chamroen Tipayapongtada is to lead a final inspection of the repaired pillars in the underground section of the Jungceylon in Patong on Thursday (July 28) ahead of the shopping mall gaining approval to re-open the areas that have been closed off for more than a month.

The Port open-air zone and the underground market called That’s Siam were closed off on June 8 after several structural pillars showed signs of crumbling. (See story here.)

An engineer at Patong Municipality, who asked not to be named, told The Phuket News today (July 27) that a team of municipality engineers inspected the repairs yesterday, and were to return tomorrow for a final, formal inspection.

“We agreed that Jungceylon cannot open the affected areas to the public until we discuss all issues, including what caused the damage, tomorrow at a meeting with officials and representatives from Jungceylon,” he said.

The formal inspection tomorrow will give all parties involved the chance to give their explanations of what happened and the repairs made, the engineer explained.

Patong Municipality engineers met yesterday to discuss their own findings, he added.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/jungceylon-set-for-final-inspection-before-re-opening-port-zone-58425.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2016-07-28

“We agreed that Jungceylon cannot open the affected areas to the public until we discuss all issues, including what caused the damage"

Isn't that something they would want to know prior to the repair design?

Wouldn't it be wiser to "know" what caused the crumbling before patching it over. Pity no photos of the "repairs" what are they hiding? I guess with tne governor is to "inspect" the site this is to show it is safe, will all stancheons be removed.... will he shop there in the future, or advise his friends and family to avoid the place.

From the full article of the OP

>>“We have not been able to conclude what caused the damage, we’re but pretty sure that it had nothing to do with structural defects or the design. I don’t think the damage was caused by rainwater either,” he added.

Doesn't really instill a hell of a lot of confidence, and the "doesn't want to be named"official tells me he's not too sure either.

>>“We have not been able to conclude what caused the damage, we’re but pretty sure that it had nothing to do with structural defects or the design. I don’t think the damage was caused by rainwater either,” he added.

Doesn't really instill a hell of a lot of confidence, and the "doesn't want to be named"official tells me he's not too sure either.

Exactly right.

Also, as i said before, going on the full article which i did read and comprehend!

Generally, a major structural failure as this is, has to be caused by either "defects" [materials, methodology, etc ,etc] or design flaws, or combination of some/all.

Seeing as they are "pretty sure" rolleyes.gif that it was neither, it can only be concrete termites that caused the problem.

They are hardy critters.

Exactly right.

Also, as i said before, going on the full article which i did read and comprehend!

Generally, a major structural failure as this is, has to be caused by either "defects" [materials, methodology, etc ,etc] or design flaws, or combination of some/all.

Seeing as they are "pretty sure" rolleyes.gif that it was neither, it can only be concrete termites that caused the problem.

They are hardy critters.

Maybe we should boycott the place until a full inspection has been carried out by the Thaigeezer team. whistling.gif

Exactly right.

They are hardy critters.

Maybe we should boycott the place until a full inspection has been carried out by the Thaigeezer team. whistling.gif

After you Psimbo :). Seriously not a bad idea though as I bet there are more legit structural engineers on the board than those that "inspected" the fault.

Exactly right.

They are hardy critters.

After you Psimbo smile.png. Seriously not a bad idea though as I bet there are more legit structural engineers on the board than those that "inspected" the fault.

I very much doubt that.

And for sure there are no structural engineers on here who have seen the problem in person.

Exactly right.

They are hardy critters.

After you Psimbo smile.png. Seriously not a bad idea though as I bet there are more legit structural engineers on the board than those that "inspected" the fault.

I very much doubt that.

And for sure there are no structural engineers on here who have seen the problem in person.

Sir, I partly agree with your egregious huffing and puffing but would suggest that such an independent qualified person would not be welcome in the first instance. The man/engineer with no name is either Clint Eastwood or somebody who has been advised about his/her career prospects.

Exactly right.

They are hardy critters.

Agreed, but aspect that hasn’t been mentioned yet is the possibility of failed foundations as a contributory item. A few years ago I was working in Mozambique and a similar type of failure was noted on a RC structure where columns had failed in a similar manner due to seismic activity. I hadn’t considered the termite issue but will look into it… tongue.png

Exactly right.

They are hardy critters.

Maybe you would be surprised to know that not all of us are simple dive instructors or school teachers and do in fact have understanding pertaining to this issue .rolleyes.gif

Edited by garryjohns

Exactly right.

They are hardy critters.

Agreed, but aspect that hasn’t been mentioned yet is the possibility of failed foundations as a contributory item. A few years ago I was working in Mozambique and a similar type of failure was noted on a RC structure where columns had failed in a similar manner due to seismic activity. I hadn’t considered the termite issue but will look into it… tongue.png

Yes, that is indeed a possibility.

AFAIK Phuket is zoned "earthquake zone" and whether or not this was allowed for in initial planning/design is a concern.

Have been a quite few earthquakes since construction and this could well be a delayed effect of them.

PS Those concrete termites will devour even 45 MPa brew.thumbsup.gif