Ex-govt officials jailed for helping Shinawatra siblings evade taxes

webfact

Ex-deputy finance minister and three revenue officials given 3-year jailterm for helping Shinawatra siblings evade taxes

229-wpcf_728x409.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Former deputy finance minister Benja Louischaroen and three senior officials of the Revenue Department were today (Thursday) sentenced to three years imprisonment each after they were found guilty by the Criminal Court of malfeasance in office for helping two Shinawatra siblings evade huge amount of taxes.

The fifth defendant, Ms Pranee Vechapruekpitak, a close aide of Khunying Potjamarn na Prompetch (formerly Shinawatra), was also found guilty for abetting the three revenue officials and Mrs Benja in their commission of the malfeasance offence. She was handed down a two-year jailterm.

The three other defendants were identified as Ms Chamras Yaemsoithong, former deputy director-general of Revenue Department; Ms Moreerat Bunyasiri, former director of Legal Affairs of the Revenue Department; and Mr Krit Veepulanusurn, director of Legal Affairs of the Revenue Department.

The was instituted to the court’s corruption division by the National Anti-Corruption Commission which faulted the five defendants for helping Panthongtae and Ms Pinthongthan, son and daughter of former prime minister Thaksin evade about 7,941 million baht in capital gain taxes each for their purchase of 164.6 milllion shares of Shin Corp each at par of one baht each while the market price then was 49.25 baht per share.

The NACC ruled that the two Shinawatra siblings were obliged to pay income taxes on the differential of the purchasing and selling prices of the shares in question.

In handing down the conviction verdict of the five defendants, the court said there was no basis to suspend the imprisonment term.

Their lawyers however tried to bail them out and were waiting for a decision from the court.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/ex-deputy-finance-minister-three-revenue-officials-given-3-year-jailterm-helping-shinawatra-siblings-evade-taxes/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-07-28

Seems that using people for your corrupt ends runs in the family, and for helping these a-seholes and you go to jail while they are free to swan around doing what ever they like, that's after paying what they should have paid initially.

Well done! Now please have a close look at the finances of the junta. What? Not allowed?? If I were I cynic I might take that as a sign that they have something to hide, but of course that cant be true, can it??

Well done! Now please have a close look at the finances of the junta. What? Not allowed?? If I were I cynic I might take that as a sign that they have something to hide, but of course that cant be true, can it??

Kinda the same as when the PTP was in power investigations like this were shot down. Its just how it is here (not good) the ones who are in power protect themselves. That is why I don't mind a coup once in a while otherwise PTP corruption would never be investigated. Now if only they would also go after the army when they are not in power that would make things a lot better.

Best thing would be of course that those in power would be investigated just like everyone else, but history here has shown that just does not work. Who is in power just ignores it all (look at the rice scam and how work bank and many international organisations and local Thai ones commented on it., and how the democrats were threatened with jail when they showed rotten rice). This is unfortunately how it works, now those who are not in power want those in power listen to international organisations they themselves ignored. cheesy.gif

I don't see it ever going well here as long as this is going on.

Surely not..

thaksin was voted in so he is behind reproach and accountability according to some.

Thank goodness the majority have moved on and see the damage this family has done.

Edited by djjamie

Surely not..

thaksin was voted in so he is behind reproach and accountability according to some.

Thank goodness the majority have moved in.

While the Junta is accountable for what so far?

Majority? nope the majority elected the Shins, it is the minority who intervened, a rich, unaccountable minority and a Junta which granted themselves amnesty.

Please, you can despict the Shins, but for god sake open your eyes toward the Junta in charge here...it is far from a group of people dedicated to the majority of citizen : they work for the establishment, the old fashioned tycoons and...more...

Kinda the same as when the PTP was in power investigations like this were shot down. Its just how it is here (not good) the ones who are in power protect themselves. That is why I don't mind a coup once in a while otherwise PTP corruption would never be investigated. Now if only they would also go after the army when they are not in power that would make things a lot better.

Best thing would be of course that those in power would be investigated just like everyone else, but history here has shown that just does not work. Who is in power just ignores it all (look at the rice scam and how work bank and many international organisations and local Thai ones commented on it., and how the democrats were threatened with jail when they showed rotten rice). This is unfortunately how it works, now those who are not in power want those in power listen to international organisations they themselves ignored. cheesy.gif

Unlike the the popular PM Prayut how had a humane "attitude adjustment" session with terrorists the previous govt had people disappear when those people wanted to uncover some discrepancies.

And I am not talking about Somchai Neelapaijit. I am talking about Akeyuth.

Of course it was never proven so it in fact never happened and the govt are innocent.

So when looking at this tax evasion issue of supposed poster boys of democracy one can see why reform was drastically and urgently needed.

Junta - To be expected. Democratic poster boys - Nahhhh.

Well done on this and look forward to the remainder of the cancerous siblings moving to Dubai or London.

Maybe only one side is getting this treatment now....but they did the crime they do the time. Next time in another government maybe the other half do their time too. It is better than when no one got charged at all.

Surely not..

Majority? nope the majority elected the Shins, it is the minority who intervened, a rich, unaccountable minority and a Junta which granted themselves amnesty.

Please, you can despict the Shins, but for god sake open your eyes toward the Junta in charge here...it is far from a group of people dedicated to the majority of citizen : they work for the establishment, the old fashioned tycoons and...more...

When a party give money to elector to vote for it, it sure the party win but fraudulently. In real democratic country it's call cheat.

Without vote buying and populism program I'm not sure this party could win heart of poor people. when you how this party deceived and even more poorer farmers from north.

Surely not..

Thank goodness the majority have moved on and see the damage this family has done.

If the majority has "moved on" the junta would have known, and they would have held elections to legitimize their illegal rule.

Even you djjamie, should realize this.

PS. Since the junta are scared sh!tless of elections we have no way to know which party gets the most support, so my question is:

How do you know the "majority has moved on"??

PPS. PLEEEEASE don't say you have seen the results of a junta arranged poll!

Unlike the the popular PM Prayut how had a humane "attitude adjustment" session with terrorists the previous govt had people disappear when those people wanted to uncover some discrepancies.

And I am not talking about Somchai Neelapaijit. I am talking about Akeyuth.

Of course it was never proven so it in fact never happened and the govt are innocent.

So when looking at this tax evasion issue of supposed poster boys of democracy one can see why reform was drastically and urgently needed.

Junta - To be expected. Democratic poster boys - Nahhhh.

Well done on this and look forward to the remainder of the cancerous siblings moving to Dubai or London.

"Unlike the the popular PM Prayut how had a humane "attitude adjustment" session with terrorists..."

1. Just how popular is the "PM"?

2. Terrorists? Please tell me which terrorists have been abducted by the junta?? Does this include the democracy students?

"So when looking at this tax evasion issue of supposed poster boys of democracy one can see why reform was drastically and urgently needed. "

What reform????? You junta boys are constantly harping on about reforms but none of you can say what the junta has "accomplished"! Not very impressive, djjamie. Not very impressive at all.

Maybe only one side is getting this treatment now....but they did the crime they do the time. Next time in another government maybe the other half do their time too. It is better than when no one got charged at all.

If you're saying that an elected government might prosecute the junta or other old elite people you're wrong. There's no chance in h*** that can happen. The army is not accountable to the people - never has been.

Surely not..

When a party give money to elector to vote for it, it sure the party win but fraudulently. In real democratic country it's call cheat.

Without vote buying and populism program I'm not sure this party could win heart of poor people. when you how this party deceived and even more poorer farmers from north.

"When a party give money to elector to vote for it, it sure the party win but fraudulently. In real democratic country it's call cheat."

The "he bought the election" argument has bee refuted so many times it's getting ridiculous. I know you junta supporters don't have a lot of arguments to use to support the junta, but come on!

Boooooooooooring!

Surely not..

"When a party give money to elector to vote for it, it sure the party win but fraudulently. In real democratic country it's call cheat."

The "he bought the election" argument has bee refuted so many times it's getting ridiculous. I know you junta supporters don't have a lot of arguments to use to support the junta, but come on!

Boooooooooooring!

Refuted ?????

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/25/world/asia/25iht-thai.3.8469725.html?_r=0

From New York Times with love.....

Don't worry...what goes around comes around.

I'll bet the siblings have got the Shin jet fueled and ready after that ruling.... How on earth can these people be jailed for assisting the brats, and the brats walk around scot-free? If the Govt.had the minerals they would be next. It will never happen, as they wouldn't want to upset daddy...coffee1.gif

How can it be "Well done!" when the primary offenders have escaped prosecution?

Surely not..

The Shins were voted in by a minority of voters. Can we please drop this "the majority love Thaksin" nonsense?

...tantamount to treason......

...once upon a time there was only one sentence for that......

...and as for seizing assets.....???

...Thailand was duped out of 16 Billion baht.....just in this one incident.....