Waiting for New Passport and Need New Visa Extension

I think this is probably a very rare situation. I am waiting on my new passport to come from the US Embassy, but my visa expires this weekend. When the passport comes in, I will do a visa run for this year's contract. I know I have two options based on the 60-day non-O visa (as confirmed by an immigration officer a couple months ago): A) a 30 day extension, which will cost 1,900 baht, or B) a border hop for a free 30 day tourist visa.

My preference is to do the border hop. My new passport may be in as soon as tomorrow, or, at the latest, by the end of next week. I'm planning to do my visa run during the Mother's day holiday 2 weeks from now. 1,900 baht for what amounts to an extra week seems ridiculous.

Adding to the fun, the embassy only gave me a copy of the first page of my passport, along with the official embassy letter stating that the new passport is being processed. (I was so concerned with making sure I had the application correct, that I forgot to make a copy of my complete passport.) I remember seeing the 3oth of this month on my last visa stamp, and they should have it in their computers as well.

So, I have two questions:

First, does anyone know where the rule is that covers "waiting for a new passport?", and, two, is a border hop possible? Or, maybe there is a rule that can suspend(or put on hold) my current visa until the new one comes in? I found a couple of provisions in the immigration law, below, that seem pertinent. I'm wondering if there is something more specific out there, perhaps in the police orders or some other regulation?

Under sect 12 of the Immigration Act 2522, it says:

Aliens which fall into any of the following categories are excluded from entering into the
Kingdom :
1. Having no genuine and valid passport or document used in lieu of passport ; or having a
genuine and valid passport or document used in lieu of a passport without Visaing by the Royal Thai
Embassies or Consulates in Foreign countries ; or from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs , excepting if a visa is not required for certain types of aliens in special instances.
Visaing and visa exemption will be under the learn and conditions as provided in the Ministerial
Regulations.

Section 19 says:

In inspecting and considering whether an alien is forbidden from entering the Kingdom , the competent official shall have authority to allow said alien to stay at an appropriate place after promising that he will present himself to the competent official to received his orders on a specified date , time and place ;

You apparently requested they mail your new passport to you or they would of given the old one back to you. You can nothing without your old passport that would of remained valid until you picked up your new one.

You could go to the embassy and ask for your old passport back and then pick up your new one in person. This may be your best option to avoid being on an overstay until you get your new passport.

You are on a tight schedule now since it is Friday already and for normal services the ACS office is closed today since it is the last Friday of the month.

If you could get your passport early Monday and then go to immigration to apply for an extension you would not pay for an overstay fine since your permit to stay ended when they are closed. If you don't do it on Monday you will be fined for everyday of overstay.

• Like 1

If you are working you need a Non B visa. "For this years contract". You have let your extension of permission to stay expire I am assuming that is what you had.

You could be fined for overstay. You should have got an extension before applying for a new passport,knowing that your expiry date was near.

Perhaps the US do it different, but renewing a UK passport, once the renewal process is started the current passport is cancelled and cannot be used for travel even though we don't submit the passport (only copies) for the renewal bit..

As said, not sure what the process is with the Americans

Perhaps the US do it different, but renewing a UK passport, once the renewal process is started the current passport is cancelled and cannot be used for travel even though we don't submit the passport (only copies) for the renewal bit..

As said, not sure what the process is with the Americans

The US does not cancel the old passport until the new it is picked up at the embassy or when it is received and the old one and new one is sent out by mail.

The UK cancels the old passport in their system as soon as the application is received in the UK since there is no authority here that can do it when the new one is picked up.

• Like 1

Ajahnski,

Enquiring minds want to know why you waited to renew your passport until your visa was almost ready to expire? That's just bad planning, my friend.

My visa extension expired July 27, and I didn't want to fly to BKK to go to the embassy, so I hit the ACS travelling show when they hit Khon Kaen, back in January or February. I lost time on the passport, but not a big deal. Point is I didn't wait until the last minute.

Why did you procrastinate for so long? Their schedule for the traveling show is on the embassy website at least a year in advance.

On a positive note, I had my new passport within about 8 or 9 days, IIRC.

Edited by Tagaa

I am an American and I applied for new U.S. passport in May 2015.

I had less than 6 months left on my old passport at that time as it expired in October 2015.

The U.S. enbesy did NOT keep my old U.S. passport while the new one was being processed.

i had my old U.S. passport all the time in my posession

i applied for a new passport on 26 May 2015 and recieved my new pasport on 9 June which is dated to expire on the 25th of jMay 2025, or 10 yqrs minus 1 day after Ii applied for a new passport at the embesy.

I have a 54 page passport.

The place of issue is listed as Massachusetts, which was the U.S. adress i used on my application fotm.

I believe that place od issue is in fact false, I believe that the passport was actually printrf here in the U.S. embessy in Bzngkok, but thry assured me that my new passport was printed in the U.S.

However, it is sure that I had my old pasport in my posession the entrire time.

Th time between when i applied on 26 May 2015 and when i recieved my new passport aat the U.S. embessy on 9 June 2015 was exactly 14 dats a you can see.

thzt is how long it really takes to get a new U.S. passport, and I have the proof here.

My old U.S passport is stamped with the word CANCELLED on the firdt page..

Just for your info.

Edited by IMA_FARANG

The place of issue is listed as Massachusetts, which was the U.S. adress i used on my application fotm.

I believe that place od issue is in fact false, I believe that the passport was actually printrf here in the U.S. embessy in Bzngkok, but thry assured hr my newld passport was printed in the U.S.

The OP chose to have his new passport mailed to him which why they kept his old passport so they can cancel it and mail it to him with his new one.

My passport obtained in 2013 does not have issued at on it. It has authority United States Department of State. I think you may be confusing place of birth with issued at.

They certainly did not print it at the embassy. The US only prints passports in the states at the national passport center and it has been that way for several years now.

They submit the application electronically is the reason you get your new passport so quick. I got an email saying mine was at the embassy in 10 days. Others have gotten them in as little as 7 days.

I believe that place od issue is in fact false, I believe that the passport was actually printrf here in the U.S. embessy in Bzngkok, but thry assured hr my newld passport was printed in the U.S.

The OP chose to have his new passport mailed to him which why they kept his old passport so they can cancel it and mail it to him with his new one.

My passport obtained in 2013 does not have issued at on it. It has authority United States Department of State. I think you may be confusing place of birth with issued at.

They certainly did not print it at the embassy. The US only prints passports in the states at the national passport center and it has been that way for several years now.

They submit the application electronically is the reason you get your new passport so quick. I got an email saying mine was at the embassy in 10 days. Others have gotten them in as little as 7 days.

UJ is 100% correct. My passport took 7 days by diplomatic pouch form the USA at the US Conciliate in Chiang Mai. All US passport are produced in Pennsylvania.