Where is the best coffee place in CM (not Starbucks or chains)

balo

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally can recommend Ristr8to and Ristr8to lab . Both in Nimman area and Graph in the old city ( Ratvithi Lane 2 Road). They have a restaurant and cafe pretty much around the cnr from each other.

Edited by mylk
Spelling mistake

33 minutes ago, Rockhopper said:

Try P&B Coffee Shop! She uses a blend of 2 different hill tribe coffees and it is the best I have found in Chiang Mai in 5 years of living here.

It's just off the moat near Chiang Mai Gate at 18/4 soi 1 Ratchiangsaen Road.

That sounds interesting, will check it out tomorrow. 

By the way, the coffee shop at Payap that I mentioned earlier has a nice outdoor area next to a green lawn and big wooden house, and students coming to school in the mornings...and, most importantly, YOU CAN SMOKE. Happy smoking with coffee!

Hi, in case you need / want to make your own at home, the Thai-grown coffee beans at Kasem Store (two locations: very near Chang Moi road and Wararot Mkt and Wing 41 near Suthep near CMU) are good, inexpensive, and they wiil sell whole or ground. RE coffee/cafés: there are so many, and tastes vary (fancy, grotty, atmospheric, coffee mild or wild?). I would recommend you shop around and find the one(s) you like best. Kasem locations below.

Kasem East: 
https://goo.gl/maps/q2Av6xMpPzQ2

Kasem West:
https://goo.gl/maps/zxKLreaTwY52

New great coffee place for beautiful people!  Coffee is great, very cold air conditioning, view of Doi Suthep, and did I mention beautiful people?

Also lots of power sockets all over the place and even desks to work on, so it's potentially interesting to the financially successful segment of Chiang Mai's Digital Nomads. (Both of them. :P )

(I did check if it was a chain, it looks like it might be a chain but Google doesn't think so.)

(EDIT: Oh wait, I think it may be Korean..  Anyway it's not a big chain I guess.)

1.png

CoODTbzUEAAm6bh.jpg

13708291_605392532962362_726351880351875

5.png

4.png

3.png

2.png

1.png

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
Reworked images that didn't make it.

46 minutes ago, WinnieTheKhwai said:

New great coffee place for beautiful people!  Coffee is great, very cold air conditioning, view of Doi Suthep, and did I mention beautiful people?

Also lots of power sockets all over the place and even desks to work on, so it's potentially interesting to the financially successful segment of Chiang Mai's Digital Nomads. (Both of them. :P )

(I did check if it was a chain, it looks like it might be a chain but Google doesn't think so.)

(EDIT: Oh wait, I think it may be Korean..  Anyway it's not a big chain I guess.)

1.png

CoODTbzUEAAm6bh.jpg

13708291_605392532962362_726351880351875

5.png

4.png

3.png

2.png

1.png

What I see is sweet girls drinking sweet ice coffee and eating sweet desserts, doesn't say much about their coffee but I guess there's only one way to find out....   

They may be, in your opinion 'the beautiful people', but i do not see them enjoying a hot, steamy cup o' joe, as per the OP's question.  Sugary gobs may go good on the 20 yr olds, but all that sweet aggravates my diabetes and coronary tubes.

And to the chap who recommends the smoking while drinking coffee: enjoy the stink.  I won't be there.

• 2 months later...

After searching for the best hot Americano in town for months  I ended up with this place , and believe it or not it's only 25 baht .  

Nice, friendly staff knows how to prepare it , you can't go wrong here and money saved as well . The place is called Hom coffee , it's around 500 meters up from Thapae gate , same side as Black Canyon and Burger King. 

I don't know why they are selling it so cheap but I'm not complaining. 

If I  want to rate this coffee , I would give it 9 out of 10, same as I would do with the more upscale place in Nimman area called Ristr8to where you pay 90 baht. They are equally good. Go check them out if you're in the area. 

2016_10_05_12_15_40.jpg
2016_10_05_12_15_50.jpg
2016_10_23_13_36_25.jpg

On 23 October 2016 at 8:51 PM, balo said:

After searching for the best hot Americano in town for months  I ended up with this place , and believe it or not it's only 25 baht .  

Nice, friendly staff knows how to prepare it , you can't go wrong here and money saved as well . The place is called Hom coffee , it's around 500 meters up from Thapae gate , same side as Black Canyon and Burger King. 

I don't know why they are selling it so cheap but I'm not complaining. 

If I  want to rate this coffee , I would give it 9 out of 10, same as I would do with the more upscale place in Nimman area called Ristr8to where you pay 90 baht. They are equally good. Go check them out if you're in the area. 

2016_10_05_12_15_40.jpg
2016_10_05_12_15_50.jpg
2016_10_23_13_36_25.jpg

Sounds good Balo I will check it out the next time I am nearby

On 24 October 2016 at 1:13 PM, Sandy Freckle said:

A couple of times I have quite enjoyed the coffee at 2 sisters on the Chiang Mai Lumpen Rd.

Yep, been there a couple of times, not bad would return. Convenient if you are there for the market, you can watch the cars and motorbikes go by....

12 hours ago, stament said:

Yep, been there a couple of times, not bad would return. Convenient if you are there for the market, you can watch the cars and motorbikes go by....

Actually we had a pretty good Khao Soi at a stall out front of the markets..., cheap as chips too.

• 2 weeks later...

I totally agree. The coffee is always best at these small family run restaurants. 

Tom Tom and Starbucks are so bad, their coffee is the worst I have ever had in my life. 

But everybody knows that. People don't even go to these places for the coffee that tastes like excrement. That's just a place to be seen. 

I am not a coffee nerd or such like...., but I was recommended to go to Ma Chill. Yesterday we went there and supped what I have to say was an exceptional coffee. The quiet and unassuming young couple there really seem to know their beans..., it seemed to me.
So now I say..., do yourselves a favor..., try the coffee at Ma Chill, it's on Sridonchi Rd. not far down(150 mtrs), on the left from S/E corner of the moat/wall. It's a very quiet place...., and I'll say right now that it was the best I've supped in CM and maybe even anywhere..., yes, that's big call.
Please seek them out and get back to me..., I would be interested to hear other peoples views ?
:wai: 

Edited by Sandy Freckle