Bangkok MRT/BRT - Enter with BIG backpack

gessi2000

I can remember that whiul entering the BKK MRT system there are security checks and the security person was checking the lady's backpacks.

So when I want to travel to or from the aiport with a big backpack is this OK on MRT or would I be disallowed to enter the MRT system as I guess they won't check my travel backpack at the security check?

Hell, if I was faced with the prospect of lugging my bag to the MRT, having to open it for them, then up and down two sets of escalators, across the bridge to the airport link, and all the way up from the airport basement, I think I'd just get a taxi.

I have used the BTS and City Line systems with 24" roller bag luggage no problem no checks even with security present.  Maybe I just have an honest face 555.  They might open up the gate for you if they feel like your bag can not make it through the turnstile easily.  If they check (or wand) your bag and you have nothing to hide no issues really.

SL

10 hours ago, SunLover2 said:

I have used the BTS and City Line systems with 24" roller bag luggage no problem no checks even with security present.  Maybe I just have an honest face 555.  They might open up the gate for you if they feel like your bag can not make it through the turnstile easily.  If they check (or wand) your bag and you have nothing to hide no issues really.

SL

" If they check (or wand) your bag and you have nothing to hide no issues really."

No issues at all, in fact.

On 01/08/2016 at 8:08 PM, SoiBiker said:

Hell, if I was faced with the prospect of lugging my bag to the MRT, having to open it for them, then up and down two sets of escalators, across the bridge to the airport link, and all the way up from the airport basement, I think I'd just get a taxi.

....and get stuck in traffic for 2 hours.

On 8/2/2016 at 5:24 PM, teatree said:

You will be allowed on the system...but please take your backpack off and carry it by hand when entering the train.

was in 7/11 at Vic monument recently with a backpacker barging around the store wit an enormous pack on his back oblivious to the people he was hitting with it, and the stock he was knocking, some of these people are real pests, especially on transport. 

• 2 weeks later...

Bags aren't any issue, sometimes they wave you through, sometimes they ask you to open.

I have had them literally have me open it ... shine a torch at the top layer of clothes, not look inside the bag at all or touch anything and then nod and wave me through

Glad they got that checked throughly then! :P

On August 3, 2016 at 7:24 AM, teatree said:

You will be allowed on the system...but please take your backpack off and carry it by hand when entering the train.

Exactly.

And try to position yourself and pack against a wall rather than standing in the middle in front of the doors.

And avoid travel at peak rush hours when cars are packed with people going to/from work.

17 hours ago, Razzler1973 said:

Bags aren't any issue, sometimes they wave you through, sometimes they ask you to open.

I have had them literally have me open it ... shine a torch at the top layer of clothes, not look inside the bag at all or touch anything and then nod and wave me through

Glad they got that checked throughly then! :P

Security Theater.

5 minutes ago, fishbrando said:

Security Theater.

Well I see it as an opportunity to have additional security officers present at the Stations and they also serve the public when not inspecting bags such as walking the blind and handicapped.

And perhaps most importantly...their presence gives you something to complain about.

Priceless.

In Europe the airports have heavy armed security these days.

On Swampy i didn't see anything special, yes there was an armytruck parked outside but no soldiers to be seen.

I had to open my backpack at the bts many times in the past. I also have seen heavy armed soldiers in the bts many years ago. This would be a good moment to have them patrolling again.

If you don't carry a bomb you'll have nothing to fear.