Oil change how often?

thai3

2012 vios that only does about 4k a year. Mrs reckons it will be ok after last oil change a year ago for another 20k. Toyota say 10k for synthetic but that would take years to do, surely the time and heat are factors as well? My inclination is to have it changed yearly regardless.

I believe after a while the oil "oxidises" or undergoes some form of chemical degradation and looses some of it's lubrication properties so probably a good idea to change it - you could always Google this on an oil company site or an oil forum.

Toyota will have a recommendation for yhe Vios that will include both km and months.  Time interval of 6 to 9 months is common.  Best to follow Toyota's advice unless the OP gets better info, (unlikely).  Engine oil and filters are cheap insurance.   

Edited by Jitar

Today new oils are very advanced along with engines changing oil at 1 year intervals doing 4k a year IMHO it will be fine.

Our Yaris 2008 does about 8k a year has been fine changing oil & filter every year. 

On 8/3/2016 at 1:58 PM, Kwasaki said:

Today new oils are very advanced along with engines changing oil at 1 year intervals doing 4k a year IMHO it will be fine.

Our Yaris 2008 does about 8k a year has been fine changing oil & filter every year. 

Have a look at the figures quoted for the Ford EcoSport. Seems to be quoting 30,000 kilometres between changes.

51 minutes ago, overherebc said:

See attached

EcoSport E20.docx

With company cars l use to do high mileage in Uk and change every 12000 miles

( 19200 kilos ).

Any petrol engine car l had even if it was a Ford EcoSport here in Thailand l'd still change oil and filter once a year or the kilos were at the recommended change, dunno about 30000 k though, would make keep checking the oil dipstick for the no good smell.:D    :)

Edited by Kwasaki
additional comment

All my diesel mercs back in uk did about 20000 miles between services, they have a devise that checks the oil and tells you when it needs changing, it works great, when you top it up with a litre between changes the mileage advances, very cleaver??

On 8/7/2016 at 2:48 AM, Ace of Pop said:

Ive never had a car without a handbook. Its so simple if you can read. Change Oil at whatever distance they state, or whatever time they state. QED. So simple, why make a fuss about nothing...even my Mrs doesn't ask.:wai:

Ours is in Thai, asked for one in English but never got it. Service today, oil change and something to do with the exhaust done, cleaned it inside and out and steam cleaned the fabric seats- 1240 baht. Must have scoffed 240 baht of the cakes, bikkies and coffee etc while waiting.

Oil is cheap as chips. An oil change is peanuts in Thailand. Do it every 2,500 Km. The heat and moisture damages the oil. 

Like lads have rightly said the oils now are great, but we live somewhere that has cheap labour and parts (the oil in this case) so changing it every 2,500Km isn't going to break the bank and it keeps your engine happy.

On 8/10/2016 at 8:34 PM, Franky Bear said:

Oil is cheap as chips. An oil change is peanuts in Thailand. Do it every 2,500 Km. The heat and moisture damages the oil. 

Like lads have rightly said the oils now are great, but we live somewhere that has cheap labour and parts (the oil in this case) so changing it every 2,500Km isn't going to break the bank and it keeps your engine happy.

My engines been happy at 16000 Km per change for the last 8 years twice per year PTT's finest:P

Edited by kartman
more info

14 hours ago, Franky Bear said:

You are on the right track there ...if it takes you a year or so to do those 2500kms

23 minutes ago, Franky Bear said:

I'm a senior mechanical engineer mate :)

Well we may have something in common after all ... all my working live has been in Operation and Maintenance of Power Generation plant with turbine sizes ranging from 30MWs up to 660MWs. My last job was commissioning and early operation of a CCGT Power Station on the River Thames. 

So I too know a little about oils and also the optimisation of oil change frequency. I can also remember my father changing his car engine oil after something like 500miles. Today many big trucks stretch their oil changes to periods well in excess of 25000 miles. The 5-series BMW that I had when I first came to Thailand, after service showed the next oil change due after 30,000Kms. And driven 'normally' wouldn't drop to below 25,000kms when the require service was indicated.

Yes ... engines ... oils ... build quality ... oil filtration etc has improve massively over the years resulting in very extended oil change periods. There is now no advantage in adding 'anything' to a top quality motor oil.

But yes ... change your oil and oil filter every 2500kms if you wish, the only harm will be to your pocket ... if it makes you happy ... fine.:):):)  enjoy      

38 minutes ago, JAS21 said:

Well we may have something in common after all ... all my working live has been in Operation and Maintenance of Power Generation plant with turbine sizes ranging from 30MWs up to 660MWs. My last job was commissioning and early operation of a CCGT Power Station on the River Thames. 

So I too know a little about oils and also the optimisation of oil change frequency. I can also remember my father changing his car engine oil after something like 500miles. Today many big trucks stretch their oil changes to periods well in excess of 25000 miles. The 5-series BMW that I had when I first came to Thailand, after service showed the next oil change due after 30,000Kms. And driven 'normally' wouldn't drop to below 25,000kms when the require service was indicated.

Yes ... engines ... oils ... build quality ... oil filtration etc has improve massively over the years resulting in very extended oil change periods. There is now no advantage in adding 'anything' to a top quality motor oil.

But yes ... change your oil and oil filter every 2500kms if you wish, the only harm will be to your pocket ... if it makes you happy ... fine.:):):)  enjoy      

350 baht a change. I'll eat tonight :)

27 minutes ago, Franky Bear said:

350 baht a change. I'll eat tonight :)

My apologies ... I completely mis-understood ... 350 Baht for 5 Ltrs of oil, an oil filter and labour then maybe 2500kms is about right.  By the way what colour was the oil and ... did it come in a pop bottle ........... only joking ..............:whistling:

Ford Focus petrol engine. Once a year or 10,000 kilometers.

Isuzu diesel. Every six months or 15,000 kilometers.

ADDED - a new oil filter every service.

Edited by Gary A