Left Thailand without a re-entry permit

Yes, like an idiot I forgot to get a re-entry permit and the first time I realised was re-entering Thailand today. 

"No visa", stated the immigration officer.

"No, my visa is in my old passport", assuming he meant the old non-imm. 

"No, this one!" He pointed to my old multiple re-entry permit.

Convinced I'd renewed it I thought that Immigration had simply forgotten to stamp the passport, however I eventually realised that I had indeed forgotten to renew it as I was in a rush on the day and a series of subsequent event meant that this had simply slipped my mind. You won't be surprised that it's a retirement extension I'm talking about!

So, I assume I have to go through the whole process of getting a new extension of stay, which means:

OA visa from an overseas embassy or consulate (any suggestions? I'd probably use KL).

Money in the bank for two months.

Usual documents, copies and 1900 baht.

AND THIS TIME DON"T FORGET THE RE-ENTRY PERMIT!

My question is, is there a simpler process?

You can only get a OA visa in your home country. You will need to get a single entry non-o visa in Penang or Vientiane (KL will not do one).
You could also apply for a non immigrant visa (class O) at some immigration offices up to the date you have 15 days remaining on the 30 day entry you got. You will need to show the 800k baht in the bank on the date you apply.
Where are you living?

13 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You could also apply for a non immigrant visa (class O) at some immigration offices up to the date you have 15 days remaining on the 30 day entry you got. You will need to show the 800k baht in the bank on the date you apply.

It's IMHO the simplest way to do it. I did it 2 years ago.

• Arrival 2 Aug 2014 with 30 days tourist visa on arrival - expires 31 Aug 2014
  • Non-Immigrant (Non-"O") visa on 27 Aug 2014  expires 24 Nov 2014
  • 1 year Retirement Extension on 24 Oct 2014 expires 24 Nov 2015

I don't remember how much I paid for fee but it was cheaper than to leave the country. As far as I remember, the IO made a 90 days Non-"O" visa because of the 800k were fresh on account.

;)

11 hours ago, madmitch said:

I'm in Phuket.

I have the 800k

Since Phuket immigration does not do the conversion to a non immigrant visa a trip to Penang is your best option. Otherwise you would have to make two trips to immigration in Bangkok 15 days apart to get it.

You will need your bank book (update before starting the trip) showing the 800k baht in the bank and a copy to apply for a single entry non-o visa in Phuket.

Edited by ubonjoe
Changed Phuket to Penang

17 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Since Phuket immigration does not do the conversion to a non immigrant visa a trip to Phuket is your best option. Otherwise you would have to make two trips to immigration in Bangkok 15 days apart to get it.

You will need your bank book (update before starting the trip) showing the 800k baht in the bank and a copy to apply for a single entry non-o visa in Phuket.

" Since Phuket immigration does not do the conversion to a non immigrant visa a trip to Phuket is your best option.  "

I think you meant a "trip to Penang."

21 minutes ago, Suradit69 said:

" Since Phuket immigration does not do the conversion to a non immigrant visa a trip to Phuket is your best option.  "

I think you meant a "trip to Penang."

Thanks it is fixed now.

I didn't think Phuket did this. Sounds like Penang then. Don't fancy the minivan at all so I'll try Firefly.

Thanks for the info, Joe. I won't make this mistake again!

I haven't been to the Penang consulate before. Is it a case of drop the passport one morning and pick up the next?

Edited by madmitch

20 minutes ago, madmitch said:

I didn't think Phuket did this. Sounds like Penang then. Don't fancy the minivan at all so I'll try Firefly.

Thanks for the info, Joe. I won't make this mistake again!

I haven't been to the Penang consulate before. Is it a case of drop the passport one morning and pick up the next?

Either Penang or Vientiane (Air Asia to Udon Thani from Phuket).

Apply the morning of one day and pickup the next afternoon.

You could use an agent in Penang to do the application for you.

Phuket to Udon Thani actually has better times and prices than to Penang with Firefly, meaning spending two nights rather than three. From what I have read a 17:55 departure from Udon  is perfectly doable.

Just one last question: are there any consulates or embassies slightly further afield (e.g Saigon, Hong Kong, Singapore) that I could use, or is it literally just Vientiane or Penang? 

5 minutes ago, madmitch said:

Phuket to Udon Thani actually has better times and prices than to Penang with Firefly, meaning spending two nights rather than three. From what I have read a 17:55 departure from Udon  is perfectly doable.

Just one last question: are there any consulates or embassies slightly further afield (e.g Saigon, Hong Kong, Singapore) that I could use, or is it literally just Vientiane or Penang? 

Not Singapore for sure. Maybe Hong Kong or Ho Chi Minh City (aka Saigon) but I suggest you contact them to confirm.

Penang or Vientiane are a certainty.

• Like 1