PM won’t quit if draft charter is rejected but will draft a new charter

webfact

4 hours ago, Crossy said:

That's pretty much what our puyai-baan is telling the locals (our area is/was staunchly Red), we get to keep Prayuth either way, but a "yes" at least carries the possibility of an election, sometime.

yes, but that election is just for show, considering the content of the draft. Vote no, this will put pressure on the Junta, time is on the side of people that want a true democracy.

32 minutes ago, mike324 said:

Not saying that I like the army in charge but they are very different from other army ruled countries around the world. Many westerners hear that Thailand is run by an army general, they immediately think its a dictatorship, dangerous, etc. 

You can't compare Europe to Thailand. The difference is that in Europe and many other Asian countries people are getting smarter, whereas in Thailand its the other way around. Thailand education continues to slide backwards, so how can you expect democracy to move forward? We constantly have politicians / influential figures taking advantage of the society for their own gain.

"Not saying that I like the army in charge but they are very different from other army ruled countries around the world."

Really? How many army run countries are there in the world, and how are they different.

"Many westerners hear that Thailand is run by an army general, they immediately think its a dictatorship, dangerous, etc."

I would like to comment on that but the use of the D-word is not allowed. 

"You can't compare Europe to Thailand. The difference is that in Europe and many other Asian countries people are getting smarter, whereas in Thailand its the other way around."

And you think that's different under junta rule??? It is, in fact, worse than before. Or do you think the implementation by the "PM" of reciting his 12 principles, more marching and flag waving and less time in the classroom makes pupils smarter?

"Thailand education continues to slide backwards, so how can you expect democracy to move forward?"

I don't expect it to move forward as long as the military keep turning the clock back. Or can you explain to me which of the dozen completed coups did anything to move Thailand forward?
Letting Thailand's imperfect democracy evolve is the only chance that it can turn into something resembling what we have in the West. It might never happen, but it's the only way it CAN happen.

"We constantly have politicians / influential figures taking advantage of the society for their own gain."

Yes, they do, and that also include those in uniform. The problem is that while red politicians and bureaucrats can be charged and convicted this does not happen to the old elite.

5 hours ago, ezzra said:

Maybe what this country needs is an iron fisted ruler as all the ones before him were a bunch of clowns

either too weak, too corrupted or a crony of someone more powerful,

Thai people are a bunch of unruly people if you give them too much freedom or too much democracy,

let's not forget that Thai people lived for hundreds of year under feudalistic way of life with the few of the upper

class elite ruled the rest of the lower class majority.....

Why don't we just go ahead and take away the vote from women and black people. What are you, from 1850?

47 minutes ago, MZurf said:

"Really? How many army run countries are there in the world, and how are they different."

I'm sure I don't need to point it out. You know its pretty free given that we have a General running the country.

"I don't expect it to move forward as long as the military keep turning the clock back. Or can you explain to me which of the dozen completed coups did anything to move Thailand forward?
Letting Thailand's imperfect democracy evolve is the only chance that it can turn into something resembling what we have in the West. It might never happen, but it's the only way it CAN happen."

I won't comment on the past coups, as its very different. But under the latest coup, for example - I've pointed out numerous times, we are starting to see laws being enforced. That is one of the things to move Thailand forward - curbing corruption.

What have we seen with the imperfect democracy? Given that TRT and PTP was running the country for the better part of the decade, and they are the champions of the poor. What has improved? Like many have said rich got richer, poor continue to be poor, and education has slid backwards in the past decade under the imperfect democracy. So its not as if things were bright and rosy under the imperfect democracy. Instead of the the army, under the TRT/PTP it was more of a police led country - the Shinawatra filled top positions with their friends from the police cadet. You think that is better just because it is "democracy". Don't people realize actions of the police effects and impacts the society more than that of the army? We have police taking and demanding bribes from all aspects of the society, street vendors all the way to large businesses. Compare that to the army/soldiers? what have they done to negatively impact the society? buy some expensive toys? boo hoo....

I agree, that democracy is the only way forward, again like I have said in past threads - Thailand needs to take two steps back before it can move forward again.

7 hours ago, ezzra said:

Maybe what this country needs is an iron fisted ruler as all the ones before him were a bunch of clowns

Thai people are a bunch of unruly people if you give them too much freedom or too much democracy,

let's not forget that Thai people lived for hundreds of year under feudalistic way of life with the few of the upper

Exactly! It worked well for Cambodia with Pol Pot, Uganda with Idi Amin and you can't knock N Korea or Zimbabwe! You're right, it's the way forward.

1 hour ago, MZurf said:

"Not saying that I like the army in charge but they are very different from other army ruled countries around the world."

Really? How many army run countries are there in the world, and how are they different.

"Many westerners hear that Thailand is run by an army general, they immediately think its a dictatorship, dangerous, etc."

I would like to comment on that but the use of the D-word is not allowed. 

"You can't compare Europe to Thailand. The difference is that in Europe and many other Asian countries people are getting smarter, whereas in Thailand its the other way around."

And you think that's different under junta rule??? It is, in fact, worse than before. Or do you think the implementation by the "PM" of reciting his 12 principles, more marching and flag waving and less time in the classroom makes pupils smarter?

"Thailand education continues to slide backwards, so how can you expect democracy to move forward?"

I don't expect it to move forward as long as the military keep turning the clock back. Or can you explain to me which of the dozen completed coups did anything to move Thailand forward?
Letting Thailand's imperfect democracy evolve is the only chance that it can turn into something resembling what we have in the West. It might never happen, but it's the only way it CAN happen.

"We constantly have politicians / influential figures taking advantage of the society for their own gain."

Yes, they do, and that also include those in uniform. The problem is that while red politicians and bureaucrats can be charged and convicted this does not happen to the old elite.

You can reverse the people on either side of your debate and the outcome stays the same. For example under the Yingluck government there were 4 different MP's for education in Yingluck's short reign with all of them totally incompentant and having the position for reward to tow ragging to the Shinawatra clan. So one can then debate that one does not expect education to improve when the persons in charge are only there for their and the Shinawatra's personnel gain. 

One can also reverse the military constantly turning the clock back with corrupt politicians doing the same. 

As for whether Thailand's imperfect democracy can or could move forward. The answer was being evolved under the Thaksin rule. I am sure an imperfect democaracy does not have any chance of moving forward when the police and Attorney General  are personelly controlled by the PM, and when the courts and anti corruption departments are being openly threatened by the Shinawatra's goons and thugs to break them down and force Shinawtra control over them. 

And the opposite of the Reds being charged and convicted is less painful than the bombings and killings of the "Yellows" that was undertaken and conviently not solved by Yingluck's brothel owning and general lowlife mongrel alcoholic  thug deputy PM. 

To be honest it is riduclous choosing either the Junta or the corrupt politicial rule in Thailand as the outcome is the same. Nothing is going to change in Thailand unless there is a mass predominate change in Thai society towards some of the basic cornerstones of democaracy and mostly in Thailand's case that is equality of all and the rule of law applying to all. And with patronage alive and well in Thailand that ain't gonna happen anytime soon. 

Edited by Roadman

3 hours ago, Thaidream said:

One can actually read the new Constitution in English- it is quite an interesting read and I would guess it will pass. The real problem will be the election. There just doesn't seem to be anyone out there who has any real plan to move Thailand forward. The know politicians of the current parties never have put forth a real agenda nor have they ever done anything that has helped the average Thai person. I am sure there are qualified, educated Thais who could present an agenda but they are either reticent to come forward or simply don't want to be associated with any political party. Thailand is a  long way from real Democracy. The military will be around and looking over the shoulder of an elected government for a long time.

No politician, or anyone else for that matter is going to suggest an agenda for change precisely because the army will always be there to make sure they don't; and they have a deserved reputation for savage action to uphold their interests. What's more, who will risk anything with Suthep and his goons hovering in rhe wings like Banquos ghost?

4 hours ago, MZurf said:

"Maybe what this country needs is an iron fisted ruler as all the ones before him were a bunch of clowns either too weak, too corrupted or a crony of someone more powerful,"

That has been tried on several occasions, without success.

"let's not forget that Thai people lived for hundreds of year under feudalistic way of life with the few of the upper
class elite ruled the rest of the lower class majority....."

So did we in Europe, but we slowly developed into democracies. Know how we managed that? Because the military didn't interfere in politics! 

Bold statement about military non interference in politics... Im not sure I can agree.....in this I direct your attention to a chap named Cromwell (though there are many other examples, often termed civil wars) .... a lot of blood has been spilled to gain "democracy".... Or freedom, if you like...... Which is why it is held so dearly by those that have it, and why those self same people will go to war to preserve it

and... Let's not overlook the fact that, by and large, the head of state (king, queen, prime minister, president, dictator) is usually the head of the armed forces, which actually binds the military to its political masters.

I hope you'll not next be suggesting that religions don't interfere in politics.

1 hour ago, mike324 said:

"Really? How many army run countries are there in the world, and how are they different."

I'm sure I don't need to point it out. You know its pretty free given that we have a General running the country.

"I don't expect it to move forward as long as the military keep turning the clock back. Or can you explain to me which of the dozen completed coups did anything to move Thailand forward?
Letting Thailand's imperfect democracy evolve is the only chance that it can turn into something resembling what we have in the West. It might never happen, but it's the only way it CAN happen."

I won't comment on the past coups, as its very different. But under the latest coup, for example - I've pointed out numerous times, we are starting to see laws being enforced. That is one of the things to move Thailand forward - curbing corruption.

What have we seen with the imperfect democracy? Given that TRT and PTP was running the country for the better part of the decade, and they are the champions of the poor. What has improved? Like many have said rich got richer, poor continue to be poor, and education has slid backwards in the past decade under the imperfect democracy. So its not as if things were bright and rosy under the imperfect democracy. Instead of the the army, under the TRT/PTP it was more of a police led country - the Shinawatra filled top positions with their friends from the police cadet. You think that is better just because it is "democracy". Don't people realize actions of the police effects and impacts the society more than that of the army? We have police taking and demanding bribes from all aspects of the society, street vendors all the way to large businesses. Compare that to the army/soldiers? what have they done to negatively impact the society? buy some expensive toys? boo hoo....

I agree, that democracy is the only way forward, again like I have said in past threads - Thailand needs to take two steps back before it can move forward again.

"What has improved? Like many have said rich got richer, poor continue to be poor,"

Really?

http://rksi.org/sites/default/files/document/351/6-country-note-tha.pdf

"Share of population under poverty line, or poverty rate, fell from 32.4 percent in 2003 to 21.9 percent in 2006 and 13.2 percent in 2011. In 2013, the rate stood at 10.9 percent, with number of poor at approximately 7.3 million persons.Sep 4, 2014"

Poverty has been reduced substantially under 10 years of TRT and PTP rule, and the country more than doubled GDP.

"- I've pointed out numerous times, we are starting to see laws being enforced."

We are seeing SELECTIVE enforcement of laws, and a purge of anyone seen as a challenge to the junta. Cronyism, nepotism and corruption is still rampant under the junta.

You are just making things up to justify misguided support for the junta.

1 hour ago, mike324 said:

"I won't comment on the past coups, as its very different."

Not very different. The last coup in 2006 was exactly as this one - the old elite securing their place at the trough. The previous coups were more old elite against old elite.

"You know its pretty free given that we have a General running the country."

You mean, except from removing basic human rights? How magnanimous!!

"But under the latest coup, for example - I've pointed out numerous times, we are starting to see laws being enforced. That is one of the things to move Thailand forward - curbing corruption."

Yes, corruption among the red shirts have been curbed. Among yellow shirts, not really. How many yellow shirts have been charged with corruption?

"What have we seen with the imperfect democracy? Given that TRT and PTP was running the country for the better part of the decade, and they are the champions of the poor. What has improved? Like many have said rich got richer, poor continue to be poor, and education has slid backwards in the past decade under the imperfect democracy."

The rich keep getting richer and the poor getting poorer in every country in the world. Do you think that has changed under the junta??? As I have pointed out the education is even worse now than under the PTP. I see you chose to ignore that.

"So its not as if things were bright and rosy under the imperfect democracy."

Have I said that?

"You think that is better just because it is "democracy"."

Again, in a democracy things can evolve, especially with the advent of the internet and social media. With a bunch of ultra-royalist, ultra-nationalist generals in charge society cannot evolve. From The Economist:

"The generals insist that their actions have been for the good of Thailand. Their coup in 2014 ended months of pro and anti government street
protests, which had turned violent. Locking out Ms Yingluck, they hint, keeps a dodgy family out of power. Ms Yingluck backed an amnesty bill that
could have allowed her brother, Thaksin, another former prime minister, to return from exile in Dubai. The army had deposed him in 2006, arguing
that his administration was corrupt.
Indeed it was, but probably no more so than most Thai governments. The army’s excuses for seizing power are wearing thin. Thailand has seen a
dozen successful coups since the 1930s and a new constitution on average every four years. The army typically installs conservative governments that
favour the urban elite. That has entrenched inequality and infuriated the rural poor. Mr Thaksin won two elections by wooing poor voters with free
public health care and subsidies for farmers. He may have left the scene, but his supporters are still there."

"Compare that to the army/soldiers? what have they done to negatively impact the society? buy some expensive toys? boo hoo...."

No, actually they have overthrown a royally endorsed government elected by the people, torn up a royally endorsed constitution, taken away basic human rights, given themselves the mother of all amnesties, given the "PM" godlike powers etc, etc, etc.

So yes, boo hoo!

1 hour ago, Roadman said:

You can reverse the people on either side of your debate and the outcome stays the same. For example under the Yingluck government there were 4 different MP's for education in Yingluck's short reign with all of them totally incompentant and having the position for reward to tow ragging to the Shinawatra clan. So one can then debate that one does not expect education to improve when the persons in charge are only there for their and the Shinawatra's personnel gain. 

One can also reverse the military constantly turning the clock back with corrupt politicians doing the same. 

As for whether Thailand's imperfect democracy can or could move forward. The answer was being evolved under the Thaksin rule. I am sure an imperfect democaracy does not have any chance of moving forward when the police and Attorney General  are personelly controlled by the PM, and when the courts and anti corruption departments are being openly threatened by the Shinawatra's goons and thugs to break them down and force Shinawtra control over them. 

And the opposite of the Reds being charged and convicted is less painful than the bombings and killings of the "Yellows" that was undertaken and conviently not solved by Yingluck's brothel owning and general lowlife mongrel alcoholic  thug deputy PM. 

To be honest it is riduclous choosing either the Junta or the corrupt politicial rule in Thailand as the outcome is the same. Nothing is going to change in Thailand unless there is a mass predominate change in Thai society towards some of the basic cornerstones of democaracy and mostly in Thailand's case that is equality of all and the rule of law applying to all. And with patronage alive and well in Thailand that ain't gonna happen anytime soon. 

"Nothing is going to change in Thailand unless there is a mass predominate change in Thai society towards some of the basic cornerstones of democaracy and mostly in Thailand's case that is equality of all and the rule of law applying to all."

You have some valid points but in my opinion a sea change in Thai society can only happen in a (flawed) democracy. Under a junta (who removes the right to vote, assemble and generally express their opinions (if it's against the junta, of course)) this is much more difficult to achieve.

9 hours ago, ezzra said:

I agree that an iron fist was needed to bring order and stop the street fighting. However, the time has long passed since the troops should  have returned to their respective/abundant barracks. IMHO the only way forward for LOS is to bring some accountability into the equation, whereby the military is subservient to the elected government and not the other way round. Yes, I'm only dreaming as the feudal system you refer to above is likely to remain for the foreseeable future.

Just so there is no confusion, the Draft Constitution of the Kingdom of Thailand 2016 Section 8 says: The King holds the position of Head of the Thai Armed Forces.

This is exactly the same as it was under Section 10 of the 2007 Constitution (which was the model for much of the 2016 draft).

18 hours ago, brucec64 said:

"What has improved? Like many have said rich got richer, poor continue to be poor,"

Really?

http://rksi.org/sites/default/files/document/351/6-country-note-tha.pdf

"Share of population under poverty line, or poverty rate, fell from 32.4 percent in 2003 to 21.9 percent in 2006 and 13.2 percent in 2011. In 2013, the rate stood at 10.9 percent, with number of poor at approximately 7.3 million persons.Sep 4, 2014"

Poverty has been reduced substantially under 10 years of TRT and PTP rule, and the country more than doubled GDP.

"- I've pointed out numerous times, we are starting to see laws being enforced."

We are seeing SELECTIVE enforcement of laws, and a purge of anyone seen as a challenge to the junta. Cronyism, nepotism and corruption is still rampant under the junta.

You are just making things up to justify misguided support for the junta.

I did not say Thailand is falling lower in poverty did I?. Yes poverty has improved. I was referring to unequal wealth distribution where Thailand is rank among the lowest around the world. Hence rich is richer and poor continue to be poor due to the increasing gap. Many of the TRT/PTP policies have put these low-mid income in greater debt - see the connection?

No I do not support many things the junta has done, but they are not as bad as many are claiming. I agree there are selective enforcement of the law, but their enforcement is also because the suspects are guilty as charge. But even with selective enforcement, this makes people watch their backs and decrease corruption. Under the TRT/PTP rule, did we even see any enforcement? No! Pro-PTP/TRT claim the opposition is corrupt, why did the PTP not bring cases against the opposition? 

You start to see the problem? The root of all these mess is a lack of law enforcement, whether its selective or not, its at least a good start.

18 hours ago, MZurf said:

"Not very different. The last coup in 2006 was exactly as this one - the old elite securing their place at the trough. The previous coups were more old elite against old elite."

Yes pretty much the same, but I was referring to the ones prior to the 90s. I still believe the last two coups were there due to Thaksins corruption, and that his influence was too big for the court to bring a case against him. But I know your view, so no need to really argue about that.

"You mean, except from removing basic human rights? How magnanimous!!"

Like I said, take two steps to move forward again. I do agree the freedom of speech is limited on the point of criticizing the government. It really effects no one else other than those in politics, or those who want to criticize. Not sure if you have been here long enough, Thaksin was notoriously known for using the law in the 97 Constitution where the government has the right to revoke media licenses - he used that to silence his critics. This law has since been amended in the 2007 Constitution. No doubt we are worse off even now, I don't deny that. Majority of citizen are not impacted by the limited freedom of speech against the current government. 

"Yes, corruption among the red shirts have been curbed. Among yellow shirts, not really. How many yellow shirts have been charged with corruption?"

Curbed where? everyone from both sides are out on bail and doing their own thing! Like I said in the thread above, why didn't PTP pursue the corruption charges when they were in power? I never agree with the yellow shirts with their violent actions and shutting down of the airport, as well as trying to light up a gas tanker in the city!

"Again, in a democracy things can evolve, especially with the advent of the internet and social media. With a bunch of ultra-royalist, ultra-nationalist generals in charge society cannot evolve. From The Economist:"

How long has social media been around? Did you think under democracy, Thailand has evolved much in the past decade too? If so how? I agree with you that under the Army, we are not evolving, in fact I said we are moving backwards! But again I stress that, law enforcement has been improved a little, so that is the most important issue for society to evolve, for democracy to evolve. People like you keep on stressing about the freedom and democracy aspects, you miss the whole point, it is meaningless with no law enforcement. I keep on saying, under TRT/PTP their police cadet buddies keep on getting promoted to top positions. The country is being run by police if you look at it that way, and you think that is any better? People know many of the corrupt police are the parasites of the society. Ironic, those that are suppose to enforce the law are the main law breakers.

Sorry I have to point it out that Thaksin and Yingluck has 49% percent of the urban elite vote, and would have surpassed the 50% marked if Thaksin did not get ousted due to the coup. if you want to break it down specifically votes in BANGKOK. Its kind of rubbish and uninformed for those who keep on saying Bangkok belongs to the urban elite. Unless you want to give a better definition of the "elite" you are talking about. 

"No, actually they have overthrown a royally endorsed government elected by the people, torn up a royally endorsed constitution, taken away basic human rights, given themselves the mother of all amnesties, given the "PM" godlike powers etc, etc, etc."

Whats the point of using "Royally". Who endorse the Army Generals? each and every soldier? So becareful with your words. Perhaps the army is there to prevent the country become a police control state which we have seen in the past decade. Limit power hungry politicians like Thaksin to cause further havoc and limit his influences on the society. Who knows right? 

4 hours ago, mike324 said:

I did not say Thailand is falling lower in poverty did I?. Yes poverty has improved. I was referring to unequal wealth distribution where Thailand is rank among the lowest around the world. Hence rich is richer and poor continue to be poor due to the increasing gap. Many of the TRT/PTP policies have put these low-mid income in greater debt - see the connection?

No I do not support many things the junta has done, but they are not as bad as many are claiming. I agree there are selective enforcement of the law, but their enforcement is also because the suspects are guilty as charge. But even with selective enforcement, this makes people watch their backs and decrease corruption. Under the TRT/PTP rule, did we even see any enforcement? No! Pro-PTP/TRT claim the opposition is corrupt, why did the PTP not bring cases against the opposition? 

You start to see the problem? The root of all these mess is a lack of law enforcement, whether its selective or not, its at least a good start.

I disagree that selective law enforcement is a good start. Selective law enforcement is a corruption of the basic rule of law, and until there is a level rule of law, Thailand will not move forward.

You seem to agree with corrupt practises as long as they further your agenda.

19 hours ago, brucec64 said:

I disagree that selective law enforcement is a good start. Selective law enforcement is a corruption of the basic rule of law, and until there is a level rule of law, Thailand will not move forward.

You seem to agree with corrupt practises as long as they further your agenda.

What is the level rule of law you are talking about? And who do you expect to enforce it that is not selective? The laws of the country are really all out there and its works pretty well other than the low fines and sentencing.

Thailand at the moment is either:

1.) Corrupt with no law enforcement

2.) Corrupt with some law enforcement

You just got to choose one to move forward. Not my choice, but its the only best option. I guess you rather Thailand be corrupt with no law enforcement until "level rule of law" is establish and a "non bias" party is in power. Good luck waiting.....

I could find many examples of previous governments enforcing laws to the same degree as this government. Your argument is completely invalid. Are you saying not a single arrest was made during the PTP? They used the same selective enforcement as the junta. To somehow think the current situation is better is naive and unfounded.