BRP(RC)

My wife who is Thai and has Indefinate Leave to Remain in the UK and has a Thai Passport

has changed her first name in Thailand, would i be right in saying the form she needs is BRP (RC) form to download for name changes?

Just want to fill in the correct form  as it appeared at first  to be for reporting Lost or Stolen cards.

Thanks for any help.

I had many questions about BRPs last year and used the BRP contact email address to get advice. Always received a reply within 48 hours, often quicker. I would email them to ask advice. Sorry I don't have the address I used but should be available online. 

She may need a new passport first.  I can see all sorts of problems if her Thai passport doesn't show the new name.  Remember the renewal problem with Thai and British passports showing different names.  See p26 of No Time Limit (modernised guidance) for the handling of name changes.  The Home Office claims one cannot appeal against a refusal to issue a BRP, and willingly conceives of people being left without a BRP.

The correct form is form NTL - for which the fee is £308.  You won't get past question C1 in the March 2016 version of BRP(RC).

Edited by Richard W
Guidance on persecuting name-changers

Hi Richard w

thanks for all the links and your advice too glad we now have the right form from your kind help,i forgot to mention she has already got a new Thai Passport

with the new name in and a Certificate translated for the UKBI to see at the UK Airport.

Documents would need to be sent to the UK at the Office she originally received it at, being Croydon.

So if we did it by post from Thailand she would need to send her Passport to the UK

and it could take forever to get the passport back to Thailand causing problems for any travel back to the UK as we live there.As i am not sure how long they would take to process it all and supply new BRP,

Would you agree?

So may be best to return to UK  before 24 th Aug to sort it out from there and post docs with passport from there then.

Thanks for your help much appreciated

On 8/6/2016 at 2:51 AM, Richard W said:

She may need a new passport first.  I can see all sorts of problems if her Thai passport doesn't show the new name.  Remember the renewal problem with Thai and British passports showing different names.  See p26 of No Time Limit (modernised guidance) for the handling of name changes.  The Home Office claims one cannot appeal against a refusal to issue a BRP, and willingly conceives of people being left without a BRP.

The correct form is form NTL - for which the fee is £308.  You won't get past question C1 in the March 2016 version of BRP(RC).

Hi Richard w

thanks for all the links and your advice too glad we now have the right form from your kind help,i forgot to mention she has already got a new Thai Passport

with the new name in and a Certificate translated for the UKBI to see at the UK Airport.

Documents would need to be sent to the UK at the Office she originally received it at, being Croydon.

So if we did it by post from Thailand she would need to send her Passport to the UK

and it could take forever to get the passport back to Thailand causing problems for any travel back to the UK as we live there.As i am not sure how long they would take to process it all and supply new BRP,

Would you agree?

So may be best to return to UK  before 24 th Aug to sort it out from there and post docs with passport from there then.

Thanks for your help much appreciated

I definitely agree that it's better to sort it out from the UK.  I don't know that you need to cut short your trip to Thailand.  £1,000 is the maximum fine, but I think that is supposed to come in after ignoring several warnings.

The rules on penalties are linked to from Non-compliance with the biometric registration regulations .  On my reading, your wife should get a warning and then a £125 fine if she takes to long to apply.  Make a note of what the Immigration Officer says at when she re-enters the UK.

Hi Richard W

thank-you for the link and all the information which you have kindly provided  your advice

is very good, your help is really appreciated  i have learned quite a lot ,

Your doing a great job on the forum.

Good Luck

POMCHOB