Wiped out

White Christmas13

A while back I posted a topic about all my data being wiped out after a windows 10 update 

and would you believe it it happen again a few days ago I had to restore my comp to an 

earlier date again to get every thing back, as far as I know you can not stop automatic 

updates on windows 10 I searched for answers but no joy anybody knows how to stop 

the updates ? Your help is appreciated  

I don't know the answer to your question having only just updated to Windows 10, however if your data is important to you then you should be backing it up, especially as you have experienced problems previously.

One way to simplify matters would be to install Windows on one partition e.g. C and your data on a separate partition e.g. D

Makes life easier, so you don't lose your data (unless there is a disk failure ) if you ever need to to do a clean install of Windows.

Edited by kkerry

13 minutes ago, kkerry said:

I don't know the answer to your question having only just updated to Windows 10, however if your data is important to you then you should be backing it up, especially as you have experienced problems previously.

One way to simplify matters would be to install Windows on one partition e.g. C and your data on a separate partition e.g. D

Makes life easier, so you don't lose your data (unless there is a disk failure ) if you ever need to to do a clean install of Windows.

I don't have anything important on my comp but it is just a pain in the back to restore the desktop to

the way I like it, there is no more shortcuts  every thing completely changed all my pictures are gone 

it just looks like a new comp with nothing on it and I get the silly question asking me ( on the bottom of 

the screen were normally is the search the web and windows "Hi am cortana ask me anything" 

7 minutes ago, White Christmas13 said:

I don't have anything important on my comp but it is just a pain in the back to restore the desktop to

the way I like it, there is no more shortcuts  every thing completely changed all my pictures are gone 

it just looks like a new comp with nothing on it and I get the silly question asking me ( on the bottom of 

the screen were normally is the search the web and windows "Hi am cortana ask me anything" 

So you didn't lose all your data, just your desktop.

You can type in the search box as well as talk to it by the way.

1 minute ago, Chicog said:

So you didn't lose all your data, just your desktop.

You can type in the search box as well as talk to it by the way.

Well what I meant by data  I meant all my pictures movies and so on I might not used the right word for it 

I am not a computer guru :( the whole computer is virtually wiped clean of every thing

If I understood what you meant, WC13, with your restore to an earlier date, you simply used the Win10 restore function and it made your desktop look like it used to.  You didn't seem to have to copy or move data from an external HD or the cloud to your PC, so the data was there.  You just didn't know where?

And that all your "stuff" was missing.   Did you, could you open your computer in Windows Explorer and see a tree like my sample?  If so, could you, did you try, open folders and look to see what you really still had access to?

Do you have your HD divided into partitions like KKerry suggested. Based on what you said, I agree with his recommendation.    ASIDE:  Disk Drives H in my example is a partitions for the express purpose of separating specific my data from my programs.   

Win Explorer.jpg