Fishing

richard10365

I want to buy a fishing pole here in Chiang Mai. Where is a good place to buy a decent pole and how much do they usually cost?

Thank you.

On Tippanet Rd. If you're coming from the moat it will be on your right abuot halfway down. There's another shop on the left, directly opposite this shop, but their stuff isn't as good.

What kind of fish are you wanting to catch? If it's just for basic catfish and tilapia or tubtim you can get a fairly decent rod 6 foot rod for 800 baht and a reel for a bit less than that. If you want to catch the big sawai at Borsang you'll need something bigger and stronger.

The rod and reel that my husband bought me for my birthday last year (just what every girl wants... :D ) cost about 4500, but I can't use it for pla nin or sawai.

Yes, in our family, buying fishing equipment is akin to buying a vehicle.... :o

I want to buy a fishing pole here in Chiang Mai. Where is a good place to buy a decent pole and how much do they usually cost?

Thank you.

On Tippanet Rd. If you're coming from the moat it will be on your right abuot halfway down. There's another shop on the left, directly opposite this shop, but their stuff isn't as good.

What kind of fish are you wanting to catch? If it's just for basic catfish and tilapia or tubtim you can get a fairly decent rod 6 foot rod for 800 baht and a reel for a bit less than that. If you want to catch the big sawai at Borsang you'll need something bigger and stronger.

The rod and reel that my husband bought me for my birthday last year (just what every girl wants... :D ) cost about 4500, but I can't use it for pla nin or sawai.

Thanks for the reply too true. I live close to the Ping River and there are many days when I am doing nothing. I think it will be for fishing there.

I'm not sure how my wife would respond if I was to get her a fishing rod. I think I would get a pretty strange look from her. She comes from a small village. She might be more comfortable with one of them round nets that gets tossed in the water to catch the fish.

Have you used the rod your husband bought for you?

Thank you.

Yes, in our family, buying fishing equipment is akin to buying a vehicle.... :D

Thanks for the reply too true. I live close to the Ping River and there are many days when I am doing nothing. I think it will be for fishing there.

I'm not sure how my wife would respond if I was to get her a fishing rod. I think I would get a pretty strange look from her. She comes from a small village. She might be more comfortable with one of them round nets that gets tossed in the water to catch the fish.

Have you used the rod your husband bought for you?

Yeah, I don't really recommend a fishing rod as a gift for any woman, but it our case it's worked out well. Of course, I also get dragged out hunting for birds, snakes and frogs, so I'm hoping the outdoor sports equipment as bday gift was just a one-off...otherwise I fear what may be in store for me :o

If you're just fishing on teh river, a regular rod and reel will do. Nothing fancy required. You'll just be getting average sized catfish and snakehead fish for the most part.

You are going to throw back what you catch, right? It's kind of nasty in there :D

I have indeed used my fishing rod. We generally go fishing together 3 or 4 times a month. In fact, this year a friend gave me lures :D

Have fun!

Thank you.

What kind of fish are you wanting to catch? If it's just for basic catfish and tilapia or tubtim you can get a fairly decent rod 6 foot rod for 800 baht and a reel for a bit less than that. If you want to catch the big sawai at Borsang you'll need something bigger and stronger. The rod and reel that my husband bought me for my birthday last year (just what every girl wants... :D ) cost about 4500, but I can't use it for pla nin or sawai.

Im interested in fishing as well, but dont have any gear in TL. The fish at Borsang sounds good. Do they put up a desent fight? What fishing gear do you need for those big boys? Ive never been to Borsang is it easy to get to and do you have to pay to access the river/lake?

cheers

Don

hey! i fish bosang often, but havent been for 6 weeks or so, yuo will need powerful tackle, a heavy rod, and strong reel. loaded with 30 lb line, a fixed "method feeder" and lots of bread "sandwich"bait to mould around it, and a huge strong hook.

you will experience a hel_l of a fight when you catch one of these cat fish! maybe i will go next week sometime if you would like to come along mate your welcome. the fee is 100 baht if i remember correctly :o it is quite difficult to find if you havent bee before. tight lines :D

They've got rods and reels for rent there - I strongly advise you DON'T rent them. They're complete crap and will likely break before the day is through. Then you have to pay twice the price they're worth to repay them. :o Seen it happen to tourists there once.

Borsang's a fun day, but the woman who owns the place needs a good shag or something to cheer her up. She's the most miserable looking cow on the face of the earth. My husband and I refer to her as Yai Ki Niow. :D

For those that don't know,too trues hubby takes people on fishing expeditions here.I'm sure that if you PM her,she will be able to give you details. :D

AWWWW....thanks for that :D

And just for anyone who's interested, they've been catching 3 or 4 giant snakeheads per half day trip up at Mae Kuang lately. :o

Cheers,

TT

For those that don't know,too trues hubby takes people on fishing expeditions here.I'm sure that if you PM her,she will be able to give you details. :D

And just for anyone who's interested, they've been catching 3 or 4 giant snakeheads per half day trip up at Mae Kuang lately. :o

Cheers,

TT

sounds great! what do they look like? any chance of a photo of one?

hey! i fish bosang often, but havent been for 6 weeks or so, yuo will need powerful tackle, a heavy rod, and strong reel. loaded with 30 lb line, a fixed "method feeder" and lots of bread "sandwich"bait to mould around it, and a huge strong hook.

you will experience a hel_l of a fight when you catch one of these cat fish! maybe i will go next week sometime if you would like to come along mate your welcome. the fee is 100 baht if i remember correctly :D it is quite difficult to find if you havent bee before. tight lines :D

Not sure on some of the terminology above.

Method feeder- meaning overhead reel? with 30 lb line.

could you recommend any rod n reels and where to buy pls? And approx costing?

Still havent got a rod n reel as yet but my g/f brother goes there sometimes so I heard, so will hit him up to take me out one day.

:o

Cheers,

TT

Here is I think my first attempt to post a photo on TV. Giant snakehead fish. Granted, they don't do their name justice....

post-8723-1165389872_thumb.jpg

post-8723-1165389908_thumb.jpg

Here's hoping the pictures are there when I hit the add reply button - :D

Cheers,

TT

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers,

TT

Here is I think my first attempt to post a photo on TV. Giant snakehead fish. Granted, they don't do their name justice....

post-8723-1165389872_thumb.jpg

post-8723-1165389908_thumb.jpg

Here's hoping the pictures are there when I hit the add reply button - :D

Cheers,

TT

they look like they put up a decent fight