Thammasat University

This is Thailand's Open University, huge numbers of people study for their first degree over periods of up to six years. Mrs CM got her first degree there in three years and to be honest it;'s a bit of a factory. Plus the depth and spread of learning is very narrow and shallow, I've looked through some of the BA course material in subject such as math, geography and physics and I'd rate the level as somewhere around age 16/17 UK learning standards. BUT, it's a definite step up in the education of the masses after leaving school and it helps many get a degree and get a better job. If you believe like I do that a university degree teaches you how to study and that this is somewhat more important at a younger age than the content itself, it does a good job. Graduation day tells the story, large numbers of poor rural families come to celebrate their childs graduation, mixed in is a sprinkling of government workers and older people trying to get ahead.

On 8/7/2016 at 6:12 AM, chiang mai said:

This is Thailand's Open University, huge numbers of people study for their first degree over periods of up to six years. Mrs CM got her first degree there in three years and to be honest it;'s a bit of a factory. Plus the depth and spread of learning is very narrow and shallow, I've looked through some of the BA course material in subject such as math, geography and physics and I'd rate the level as somewhere around age 16/17 UK learning standards. BUT, it's a definite step up in the education of the masses after leaving school and it helps many get a degree and get a better job. If you believe like I do that a university degree teaches you how to study and that this is somewhat more important at a younger age than the content itself, it does a good job. Graduation day tells the story, large numbers of poor rural families come to celebrate their childs graduation, mixed in is a sprinkling of government workers and older people trying to get ahead.

- Thailand's open university  ?

- Geography  ?

- 16/17  ?

- poor rural families come to celebrate their childs graduation  ?

Are you sure?

18 minutes ago, scorecard said:

- Geography  ?

- 16/17  ?

Are you sure?

Nope! :w00t:

I read it as Thammathirat and not Thammasat, my humble apologies to all and many thanks to SC for pointing this out, truly.

It's a decent university for Thailand but it doesn't live up to its history of being political and socially active. And most of its students come from the greater BKK area. It's nothing like it seemed it was once in the past. Very few students there are interested in politics. It gets a lot of attention for what happened in the 1970s with student resistance to the government at that time but those days are long gone. Just a few TU students make the news for political acts these days, they are the headliners but as I said they are very few in university of tens of thousands of students. A lot of the faculty is pro-coup including its head who not only is head of the school but is also a member of the National Legislative Assembly (NLA) which was appointed by the NCPO, the current regime in power.

- Well the Nitirat group from Thammasat is not pro coup.

- There is quite a mixed bag of support / non support among the professors in my faculty, ultimately most taking a pragmatic approach. 

- The current coup leaders and the reason they conducted a coup is a million miles away from the thug generals who conducted a nasty power coup decades back which lead to the student uprising where unfortunately several student lives were lost in hideous circumstances. 

- Yes it's true a very large % of the students have zero concern about politics and in general are the same as their age group in many countries, they are focused on themselves and their smartphones, and their knowledge of what's happening around them even in their immediate picture let alone and in the bigger picture is close to zero.  Sad to say.  

Scorecard you might be surprised that some of the teachers who were with Thammasat in the 70s didn't really care about the students then and these folks are pro-coup now. Both of TU's famous professors Pridi and Puey had to leave the country and died abroad. I'm not sure but I believe there are four TU professors who have fled abroad since the coup. Prior to and at the time of the coup, there were comments made by some of the fanatical yellows in TU towards others who didn't agree with them or other groups in Thailand that were just unacceptable. I won't say more. There wasn't and isn't free or open discussion in the faculties at TU.  I know there are people who support both sides at TU but the yellow group definitely uses its power over others. Somewhere along its history TU had a coup as well. Everything is normal there but no everyone feels the freedom that TU is supposed to be known for.

none of their quick links work on their home page

I suspect this is merely the case for non-Thai content. Goes to show how much information in English really matters...

This is not only the case at TU; looking at Chula's webpage, it's equally appalling. In fact, most major companies' webpages in this country are garnished with an English language section, unusually with some basic information and often outdated content and of course non-functioning links.

• 4 weeks later...
On 09/08/2016 at 2:06 PM, scorecard said:

- Geography  ?

- 16/17  ?

Are you sure?

Comparing the place to the OU is just plain weird.

19 minutes ago, surangw said:

I need to do it from USA

Perhaps you could ask your question by e-mail I'm sure there is a 'Contact Us' tab somwhere on the site.

Or a very quick phone call to the specific faculty administration office, won't break the bank.

On September 7, 2016 at 7:41 AM, scorecard said:

Perhaps you could ask your question by e-mail I'm sure there is a 'Contact Us' tab somwhere on the site.

Or a very quick phone call to the specific faculty administration office, won't break the bank.

your right, but I had hoped they were in sync with the rest of the word when it came to doing business via the internet

Thammasat Rangsit now has a Starbucks, Swensons, and free paddle boats and kayaks for students to use. Soon maybe they will have McDonalds or Pizza hut. They also have about 10-15 7Elevens on campus. What was once a quiet peaceful place has become busy and full of traffic like BKK where most of its staff come from. Nothing like making a place like home.

Oh yeah, it has a skateboard park, rock climbing wall, primary and junior high school, scuba diving shop and more. Yippie! Materialism over rebellious students! All for the Bangkokians who make up most of the student population!

Archived