What Value UK British Pounds Cuurency allowed to carry into Thailand?

Pretty sure it used to be $20,000 or equivalent previously. More a case of being careful carrying cash out via UK airport remembering that questions can be asked at just £1000 and not the 10,000 Euro that most assume

20000 USD equivalent is also what I remember.

And the limit does "only" mean that you would have to declare the money (which not many would favor).

You can carry a suitcase full of cash if you declare it and have a good statement for the origin of the money.

Even if I will get bashed: declaring the cash would allow you to use the money for certain purposes like condo buying.

Equivalent to a foreign transaction form for bank transfer.

I can not comment on the rules for taking out cash from the UK (declaration limit).

Edited by KhunBENQ

The rules for the UK are as follows (from gov.uk website)

Travelling outside the EU

You must declare cash of €10,000 or more (or the equivalent in another currency) if you take it between the UK and any non-EU country.

Cash includes:

notes and coins

bankers’ drafts

cheques of any kind (including travellers’ cheques)

If you’re travelling as a family you need to declare cash over €10,000.

Edited by The Fat Controller
Grammar

No its not !  That website misses out the very important issue that questions as to origin can be asked from just £1000 and not the declaration limit of 10,000 Euro.

Law has been on statute book since 2002 under proceeds of crime act

Scroll down to Page 2

https://www.west-midlands.police.uk/docs/keeping-you-safe/behind-the-badge/tackling-terrorism/Carrying-cash-out-of-the-country.pdf

@Chivas I was replying to @KhunBENQ who was, if you look at the last line of his post, asking about declaration limits.

10,000 Euro or above IS that limit for requiring a declaration.

When I took a large sum out via Glasgow, even though it was below the declaration limit, I made sure I had statements showing it was savings from salary, however I did look for copies of the form for future use, could not see any near the UK Border post and there was nobody around to ask as I was going for my 6am flight.

I did get "noticed" by the cash sniffer dog at the gate in Amsterdam and was questioned by Dutch Customs as to the amount and purpose of carrying cash but they did not ask to see any documentation, guess I have an honest face !

Yeah am not arguing about declaration level. Its the lower limit that causes the problems to unwary travellers. Ive had 3 pulls over last 11 years on final gate for cash checks. Always carry receipts anyway from Bank

• 2 weeks later...
On 18. August 2016 at 10:39 PM, blackcab said:

You can enter Thailand with an unlimited quantity of foreign currency.

You must declare more than the equivalent of 20,000 USD.

Just out of curiosity, what actually happens when you arrive at Swampy and have ticked that box on the landing card that you carry more than 20k USD? Will they question you about the origin of the money etc? What actually happens then and there at the airport?

1 hour ago, DUS said:

Just out of curiosity, what actually happens when you arrive at Swampy and have ticked that box on the landing card that you carry more than 20k USD? Will they question you about the origin of the money etc? What actually happens then and there at the airport?

There isn't a box to tick on the landing card. You have to present yourself to Customs and complete a Foreign Currency Declaration Form. You might be asked about the origin of the money - that's up to the officer on duty and it probably depends on the amount in question.

14 minutes ago, blackcab said:

There isn't a box to tick on the landing card. You have to present yourself to Customs and complete a Foreign Currency Declaration Form. You might be asked about the origin of the money - that's up to the officer on duty and it probably depends on the amount in question.

Thanks! 

Yes, you´re right. The box to tick with regards to money is (if memory serves me right) your self-declared yearly income or so.

So, if I arrive with GBP 50k in my pockets, declare it, say it is from savings back home then this is it? If the customs guy wanted to have proof of origin and I was unable to provide any on the spot then what ...?

Posters are confusing UK and Thai law, how much can be taken out of the UK and how much can be brought into Thailand - Blackcab in his post above is correct.

It's worth remembering that if you don't declare the money and you want to take it out again at a later date, hand carry is your only option and if you get stopped on the UK end and asked to explain where it came from, you will have a problem.

Can I just add especially for the Guy suggesting he'd have 50k in his pockets with no proof or origin you might as well flush it. You cant carry cross borders anymore with money laundering laws rampant the world over that sort of dough without questions IF you get stopped (or declare)

A friend of mine was stopped with UK £10,000 cash at Don Muang (before SVB was open). He didn't declare it and the cash was confiscated until he could prove the origin. These were part of his earnings as a London taxi driver (black cab). I believe he had to return with some proof before he got the cash back.

13 minutes ago, DUS said:

So what sort of proof of origin will satisfy customs both at the European and the Thai side of the journey? That is for 50k coming from savings.

If its coming from savings then clearly you'll have a bank teller receipt when it was withdrawn. The three times I got stopped at Heathrow I immediately pulled pre printed bank statements and right away thank you sir have a nice flight. Soon as they see its gone through a bank etc no problems

1 minute ago, Chivas said:

If its coming from savings then clearly you'll have a bank teller receipt when it was withdrawn. The three times I got stopped at Heathrow I immediately pulled pre printed bank statements and right away thank you sir have a nice flight. Soon as they see its gone through a bank etc no problems

Cool! So that´s easy enough then! Thank you very much for the clarification!