Is this a Malayan Pit Viper?

Came across it a few days back while walking through Pha Taem National Park in Ubon. Camera settings were all wrong for this shot because I'd been taking landscape vistas and forgot to reset for these conditions. But it should be clear enough to identify. I held my camera at a distance, one handed, to get the shots, but from what I've read, if this is indeed a pit viper, they're darned fast and aggressive. I may have been too near. Of course, I also had to use my body as a shield so my girlfriend could go behind me and keep her distance ... we were on a narrow path in the woods, and the snake had just climbed up the edge of the path. Now realising how dangerous a snake this may have been (I'm not sure), I'm breathing a sigh of relief.

DSC00690nikcr.jpg

looking at the shape of its head and the markings its looks like one of the viper family.

i have had 2 russel vipers in our garden,they had the same shaped head but were very docile.

looks like you had a lucky escape.:w00t:

21 hours ago, MissAndry said:

Almost certainly a Malayan pit viper. Bite isn't fatal but often results in an amputation. The venom rots the tissue around the bite.

what if the bite is on the neck.or worse still on your john thomas.:w00t:

• 4 weeks later...

A friend of mine was building some bungalows on his land near Ao Nang. He was out supervising the work when he saw several adolescent Malaysian pit vipers. He gathered up the workers and insisted that they all wear shoes. These little snakes were only about 6 inches long and hard to see. Of course there is always one guy who ignores the advice. He got bit on the big toe. My friend gave him some money and told him to go to the hospital. Instead he went to a local witch doctor. He didn't get any better so he finally went to the hospital. The doctors amputated his big toe.

Archived