Prospecting with a metal detector in public areas

thunder18

Is prospecting with a metal detector in public areas allowed (legal) in Thailand?

I've seen many on the beaches of Pattaya and HuaHin, especially in dark times...I've seen foreigners doing that as well.

Is there any issue to anyone do that just at will? Is it allowed in national parks and historic places?

10 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

your local Police station

I've started here, as police stations are not my kind of places. Visit to there? Better not, unless guarded. :)

All I am asking is just for the knowledge in general. I've seen people doing that on the beaches, but nowhere else (say, never see in national parks). Perhaps they have regulations or smthn.

This is Thailand, doesnt matter what this or that says, what matters is the guy stood in front of you wearing a uniform and usually a gun, what HE says will matter more not what an unknown on an internet forum guesses, what happened in Hua Hin will bare no resemblance to what may happen in Pattaya or anywhere else. Go ask the man or station most likely to confront you on the issue (if at all).

4 hours ago, CharlieH said:

This is Thailand, doesnt matter what this or that says, what matters is the guy stood in front of you wearing a uniform and usually a gun, what HE says will matter more not what an unknown on an internet forum guesses, what happened in Hua Hin will bare no resemblance to what may happen in Pattaya or anywhere else. Go ask the man or station most likely to confront you on the issue (if at all).

Well i wouldn't do it in busy area's anyway. If there's money to be found there will be locals liking to find it as well and they probably have better contacts to get permission. It might also be seen as working without a permit i guess.

And even if the local sheriff gives permission than how do we know there's not another sheriff from another deparment or so?  Or maybe he goes searching on a sacred spot without knowing.

I guess you can't get an official permit for it, one who is completely legal for any official or non-official.

Spent an hour or so this weekend on my hotel's beach in Jomtien with my metal detector.  Drew attention from the hotel security guy who was more curious than anything.  But that doesn't mean it was legal, or that I'll be able to do it again next time, or on another guy's shift, or 5 meters off the hotel property.

My best advice- go for it.  But don't fall in love with anything you find until you're back home- or at least in your car.

Edit:  BTW, there are several threads with some good info in the search function.  But "good info" doesn't mean "definitive answer".  CharlieH explained it quite well on #4.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

Well, I understand all of this (so far 20 years here) - but my question was about the law in general. The law CAN'T vary depending on the location I am asking THE guy in brown at. Yes I know that they can "interprete" the current laws just as they need that to make kinda profitable - but the law is the law, and it is country-wide.

My question is about the Thailand's law in general: are metal detectors legal in public areas, or not? Just before any greedy BiBs, police boots and any other so-called "empowerers". Of course if I need it to give a go - I will simply come to the nearest BiB and ask him to assist me (or even guard me for a fee) - and it will work, just as any other "deals on the spot"... but how about the law in general? Is anyone here experienced in Thai laws?

Thanks.

Edited by thunder18

I bought mine from Craigslist.  Had it mailed to me from somewhere else in Thailand.  They come up pretty often  (one's been on offer for 65K baht for a couple of months now- must be a good one...), and also on TVF classifieds occasionally.

There's a few on Lazada, but they're all no-name units and all but a few are from overseas.  (search metal detector or just detector) They do have 1 model for 5900 baht available from a few local vendors.  5900 wouldn't hurt too bad if it got confiscated on your first trip to the beach in a worst case scenario.  Not sure it would find anything, though.

Edited by impulse

2 minutes ago, thunder18 said:

Ebay, Amazon, Newegg.....pick your favorite one. Fedex/UPS/TNT are able to deliver that to you in 3 days.

I don't know about the law, or lack of one here about it.  Curious, I just typed, "metal detectors legal in Thailand?" into my Google search box.  A quick sampling of the truncated results seemed to indicate no problems.  >Google Results Page<

Surprised to find there's even a metal detector enthusiast forum. 

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=138411

2 minutes ago, 55Jay said:

I don't know about the law, or lack of one here about it.

Metal detectors (themselves) are allowed in Thailand.

Prospecting with metal detectors in public areas (by the general law, not by any of the local "agreements" with Somchais in brown) - I am not sure, so here my thread goes.

1 minute ago, thunder18 said:

Metal detectors (themselves) are allowed in Thailand.

Prospecting with metal detectors in public areas (by the general law, not by any of the local "agreements" with Somchais in brown) - I am not sure, so here my thread goes.

Just seems the overwhelming evidence is that is legal or, better yet, not "illegal".  

Only my opinion of course, but my sense is it wouldn't be "normal' in national parks and historical sites, so you would likely be viewed as an oddity,  and that could result in staff or someone in a uniform of some sort, approaching and asking what the hell you are doing.  I personally think it would be a bit disrespectful at historical sites and other places like temples, etc. 

Suppose you could wait around for an answer to your unusual, very specific question.  Or just go do it and report back the results for the benefit of others.  You sound rather cynical about Thais and Thailand, BiB "Somchais", et al, but really, what's the worst that could happen? 

1 hour ago, 55Jay said:

or, better yet, not "illegal".  

Yeah, that will be more "definitive".

1 hour ago, 55Jay said:

in staff or someone in a uniform of some sort, approaching and asking what the hell you are doing.

Well... "I am prospecting with my beloved metal detector in a publically opened place. Wud u pls step back from my path - detectors require some free space to be winged at, thx..." :)

1 hour ago, 55Jay said:

You sound rather cynical about Thais and Thailand, BiB "Somchais",

Nothing cynical here. There are lots of Somchais among BIBs, as most of'em are poor/coming from Isaan/etc - just like the most of taxi drivers or waitress - where Somchai is a very common and widely used name. I am simply calling a cat as "a cat" - not to offend anyone or smthn.

1 hour ago, 55Jay said:

what's the worst that could happen? 

I heard many things here and there.

Most interesting part will start if/once u got lucky and indeed found something more valuable than a rusty beer bottle's cap, but unluckily be seen/followed/monitored by locals at this your great minute. :)

1 minute ago, thunder18 said:

Yeah, that will be more "definitive".

Well... "I am prospecting with my beloved metal detector in a publically opened place. Wud u pls step back from my path - detectors require some free space to be winged at, thx..." :)

Nothing cynical here. There are lots of Somchais among BIBs, as most of'em are poor/coming from Isaan/etc - just like the most of taxi drivers or waitress - where Somchai is a very common and widely used name. I am simply calling a cat as "a cat" - not to offend anyone or smthn.

I heard many things here and there.

Most interesting part will start if/once u got lucky and indeed found something more valuable than a rusty beer bottle's cap, but unluckily be seen/followed/monitored by locals at this your great minute. :)

Yep, those poor Somchais from Issan have got you frozen with fear. 

10 minutes ago, 55Jay said:

those poor Somchais from Issan have got you frozen with fear

Not really. I know how to talk with them "just in case".

I am simply avoiding any ...errr.......unneccessary contacts with any of those "in charge" - may they be Somchais, or Johns, or whatever name they might get. Less they know about my existence  - better I sleep overnights. :)

Edited by thunder18