Getting a Garden Lawn Returfed

jacobsladder

Just moved to Banchang. Our house is lovely, but the grass is pretty sparse in many areas and the soil is pretty sandy/gritty. I'm looking for thoughts on returfing it or some other way to get reasonable quality grass. There are other houses near us that have reasonable grass, so it must be possible (not to mention all the golf courses). 

The bit I want covered is about 50 square metres. What kind of price would I be looking at? Any suggestions are helpful.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by jacobsladder

Turf is 26 baht a square metre in CM. Two types, Chinese Malay or regular farang grass - the former needs lots of water and doesn't do well in the strong sunlight but is OK in poor soil - the latter is not farang type grass as you know it but is quite spindly. If you can find it, a Bermuda type grass is worth paying extra for, if you can find it. It's also worth sorting out your drainage and soil quality issues first, it'll save lots of headaches later, soil quality is typically poor around here, lots of sand which must be removed, ditto builders rubble if you're in a new build area. Maybe also consider setting up a sprinkler system, bury the blue pipe in the ground before you lay the turf, it's cheap and makes watering easy.

BTW consider laying the turf yourself, it's very easy and not worth another 26 baht a metre to have somebody do it. Installers typically make a big deal out of getting the ground level, soak it in water and then make big holes in it as they lay the turf!!! Best to just wet the ground in squares, lay the turf and then tamp it down, water heavily afterwards and don't let anyone walk on it.

Edited by chiang mai

9 minutes ago, jacobsladder said:

Thanks for the info. I'm happy to do it myself. Anyone know where I can buy it around Banchang, Rayong, Pattaya? Are there any large garden centre?

Also, how long should people not walk on it?

You need to keep the ground quite wet at the start and after a few days just keep it moist, avoid walking on it during the first few days when by doing so you leave deep imprints in the soft ground. BTW if you go with Malay grass it's not really turf as such and looks quite odd but this is a function of how Malay grass grows - it sends out runners horizontally which then bed into the ground hence there's very very little soil attached to the turf. Again, if poor soil and not too much direct sun Malay works very well and will always recover from drought.

54 minutes ago, jacobsladder said:

Thanks for the info. I'm happy to do it myself. Anyone know where I can buy it around Banchang, Rayong, Pattaya? Are there any large garden centre?

Also, how long should people not walk on it?

Coming from Ban Chang, head towards u Tapao and at the lights take the 332 turn off, go straight across the lights where it intersects the 331, all the way to Sukhumvit just south of Bang Saray, turn right on to Sukhumvit (heading towards Bang Saray) and about 1 to 200 M on your left you will see a garden centre with piles of turf at the roadside, this place supplies most of the turf around the area, usually good fresh stocks.

20 hours ago, Chao Lao Beach said:

Don't pay more than 40b/m, there is never much soil on the turf, so put a thin layer down first.

Before you start laying the turf practice folding tissue paper, soak it in water and then gently try to unfold it without tearing it. 

The usual turf has so little soil on it it becomes a similar exercise.