Newbie CCTV engineer electrocuted just third day on the job in Udon home

webfact

Newbie CCTV engineer electrocuted just third day on the job in Udon home

p31.jpg

Image: Daily News

UDON: -- A young Thai man running wires for a CCTV system in an Udon Thani house was electrocuted yesterday.

Charnchai Khamphai, 20, who comes from Chayaphum had burns on his hands and was pronounced dead at the scene in a house in the Chiang Phin sub-district, reported Daily News.

The house owner had hired the "IT Network Computer" company to install a CCTV system in his house. The cameras were in place and the victim was running wires to complete the job.

When screams were heard coming from the ceiling in the hallway the electricity was turned off, police were told. But it was too late.

A co-worker of the deceased Pathawan Phajuang, 18, said that his friend had just started work and this was his third day on the job.

The body was sent for autopsy and relatives were informed.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-08-09

.....hiding what's wrong does not make it go away.....

...electrical work....and so many other things......

...what a shame....

...condolences to his family.....

...eager to work in his field.....outdone by half-*ssed workmanship of others.......

"When screams were heard coming from the ceiling in the hallway the electricity was turned off, police were told. But it was too late."

Was the electricity turned off when the screams were heard or before the screamer started work?

A shocking story.

RIP Charnchai.

In many jobs you can learn by doing
But not as an electrician.
Only one single mistake can be fatal.
That is why in many countries the professions of electrician needs 3-4 years of learning until to complete the vocational qualification.
RIP.

I owned a company that did work like that in 1976, so I have a lot of experience. 

I would never shut off power to a building just because I was running coax in a crawl space. 

When the investigation is over I'll bet whatever he touched had nothing to do with the job he was doing. 

Whatever exposed wiring was in the ceiling could just has easily electrocuted an exterminator or insulation installer, neither of who would cut power to do their job. 

It's the fault of the electrician who wired the home. 

1 minute ago, Guitar God said:

I owned a company that did work like that in 1976, so I have a lot of experience. 

I would never shut off power to a building just because I was running coax in a crawl space. 

When the investigation is over I'll bet whatever he touched had nothing to do with the job he was doing. 

Whatever exposed wiring was in the ceiling could just has easily electrocuted an exterminator or insulation installer, neither of who would cut power to do their job. 

It's the fault of the electrician who wired the home. 

Well cctv also uses 220V so he might be working on that part while he got electrocuted.

But i also guess he touched the wrong wire, or maybe they were using another colorcode. It's still surprising this doesn't happen much more often.

Every one I've seen uses 12 VDC or 24 VDC for the cameras. The only place you're going to be near 220 VAC is going to be when you plug in the adaptor/camera power supply or the DVR.

Just one look at all the exposed wires on or near the power supply tells enough about how safe the wiring is here.

Hard to see how that could happen. 

Mount cameras.

Plug cables into cameras.

Plug other end of cable into computer box.

Switch on computer.

As far as I understand it. the voltage running most of these cameras is about the same as a TV aerial. I did my own, but then I didn't get a Thai certificate, maybe that's important. Or maybe I was lucky...

Winnie

1 minute ago, dieseldave1951 said:

cameras run on 12v i assume he touched the main power incoming very little use of earth leakage trips in this country, shame he would be alive today 

Ladder touches a power line and he is toast in any country.

But I guess I see far more bamboo ladders here than aluminum.

15 hours ago, Thian said:

Well cctv also uses 220V so he might be working on that part while he got electrocuted.

But i also guess he touched the wrong wire, or maybe they were using another colorcode. It's still surprising this doesn't happen much more often.

220v used by domestic users only to the voltage reducer (transformer), 1976 might well have been 220v throughout the installation

15 hours ago, tomacht8 said:

In many jobs you can learn by doing
But not as an electrician.
Only one single mistake can be fatal.
That is why in many countries the professions of electrician needs 3-4 years of learning until to complete the vocational qualification.
RIP.

but he was not a electrician he was e co axle wire puller, this death is down to dodgy wire installation  in the house,thai sparks just twist wires together and tape them no use of junction boxes here 

out side the building i rent there are three phase 16 mm wire tails hanging down from the main incoming just taped ends and the tape is so old it coming off, 

11 minutes ago, dieseldave1951 said:

but he was not a electrician he was e co axle wire puller, this death is down to dodgy wire installation  in the house,thai sparks just twist wires together and tape them no use of junction boxes here 

out side the building i rent there are three phase 16 mm wire tails hanging down from the main incoming just taped ends and the tape is so old it coming off, 

Regarding your comment about the three phase taped ends.

I had an incident years back in Chonburi with an over-voltage issue on a three phase supply. If I remember correctly it had gone up to about 270V between phase & neutral, which destroyed a couple of pieces of equipment.
Called the electricity board, who came out fairly quickly, and said the neutral had disappeared due to the insulating tape coming off at the drop-off outside the premsies, A speedy repair was effected by the addition of more tape!

You couldn't make it up.