Losses of 20 million baht expected from Chiang Mai "FOREX" victims

webfact

Losses of 20 million baht expected from Chiang Mai "FOREX" victims

p4.jpg

Image: Thairath

CHIANG MAI: -- A "Forex" con is thought to have netted three online criminals around 20 million baht from 100 victims in Chiang Mai.

Some two dozen victims of the con went to Chiang Mai police yesterday to register complaints. They had invested in a foreign currency fund run by a Facebook brokerage called "Wealthy Plus" that promised lucrative and quick returns, reported Thairath.

Yesterday's victims said they had initially put in 50,000 baht and received 5,000 baht returns every day for the first week. So friends, family and relatives were all contacted to join in and get rich quick.

Inevitably, when 7.2 million baht had been put into the investment the three contacts on the site disappeared from view and were not heard from again.

The site was shut down on August 2nd. The claimants said there are reckoned to be possibly 100 victims in Chiang Mai and losses are likely to be around 20 million baht. 

Many have not come forward, said Nipaworn Wongmuangken representing the group, because they thought they had no chance of getting their money back.

The complaint with Chiang Mai police names one man and two women as the alleged fraudsters - Dechawat, Jitana and Pratchaya.

Police said that arrest warrants against the three would be sought.

Similar claims against "Wealthy Plus" were made with the DSI in Bangkok last week.

Source: Thairath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-08-09

I have been trading for about 20-years......NEVER have I considered FX.  It would take me a book to explain...

but if you want to learn how to trade FX like a PRO, get rich beyond your wildest dreams, and live the life of luxury.....you are in luck, i have time to teach for 200,000 baht.  I would normally just print money, but i do really need your money!!!!

9 hours ago, puukao said:

I have been trading for about 20-years......NEVER have I considered FX.  It would take me a book to explain...

But the scam could have been for anything - it's not dependent on it being FX.

FX, "Wealthy Plus",put in 50,000 and get returns of 35,000 the first week,it's

very obvious the victims had much more greed than common sense ,really

no sympathy for them at all,there has been so many scams in Thailand

over the years,so it's not a new problem,and people should know,but greed

gets the better of them every time.

regards worgeordie

It's a shame, but it's more and more common to hear of the Thai and Lao people falling victims to these types of scams. It comes from a combination of greediness and being new to the online world, this can also be said of people the world over, after all....who doesn't want to be rich?

Just curious as to why the fraudsters only targetted CM individuals, seems an odd strategy when talking about the internet maybe some face to face presenations were involved which would explain why a wider net targetting wealthy Bangokians wasn't targetted.

On 8/9/2016 at 9:38 AM, Lee4Life said:

It's a shame, but it's more and more common to hear of the Thai and Lao people falling victims to these types of scams. It comes from a combination of greediness and being new to the online world, this can also be said of people the world over, after all....who doesn't want to be rich?

Yeah, some greed, combined with a place that has limited opportunities apparent