Anyone taken a bike to Cambodia?

AllanB

We (me and Mrsb) have to make this winter, one will be a return to Laos and the other, well haven't been to Cambodia, so that would be nice........

Anyone done the trip taken their own bike? If so what model....

Had problems? What probs and when did you travel...

Good places to cross the border?

Areas to visit, mountains, twisties, interesting, etc.?

We plan on 1-2 weeks........

I know this has been discussed before (probably) but I am after up to date info.

Edited by AllanB

I took my 750 Kwacker there 2 Christmases ago. Used Chong Chom border (Surin) as it's very easy going. Had to log in with customs on both sides. Have to have your owners reg book with you and (if appropriate) a means to stop your headlight being on during daytime. A mate just used masking tape on lens. Couldn't be easier!
Cannot comment on places to go as we were solely visiting Ankor Wat (a 1 1/2 hr boring ride from border but a must-see if you havnt been.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15 hours ago, papa al said:

Stick with Laos.

Friendlier.

Better terrain. 

Everything.

Well not that I can argue, but when I moved to Thailand in 2004 my son and I took off for 3 months around Thailand, Laos, and Cambodia. Home schooling, guest houses, and off the track exploring. Yes Laos was my favorite, still to this day I sell it to many people I meet, but all these countries had a lot of charm, and would go riding back in Cambodia in a heart beat. Outside the cities found people wonderful in Cambodia, but traveling with a 8 year old on your bike does bring out the friendly side of everyone well traveling in SE Asia.

Cheers

Well, Cambodia is on the list of places to visit for good or bad, I was just wondering what it is like to enter/exit and looking for a bit of a route to head for.

I have to say I am not into big cities anywhere and really like friendly rural locations, so any tips would be useful, also the best time to travel, or times to be avoided.

Crossed in Trat province. No issues. Only buggabo was the DRL headlite thing. And the police giving you a fine, then getting on the radio to let their buddys down the road know you are coming and to get to fine you too. Take US dollars - small denominations - in different pockets. "Sorry, this is all I have ... " 

Went to S. Lao  on my old Honda 250 enduro. Crossed Thailand to Lao near Mukdahan someplace then crossed into Cambo on the northern border with S. Lao after 3 weeks there. Trip was in the fall sometime. Maybe Sept. Oct. Nov. Brain cells missing .:w00t:

A bit of a wait at the crossing for the folks to get there. Had a tour bus there as well. All the folks in the line had a $1.00 bill sticking out of their passport to pay the "health cert" fee. When I got to the front I told them I would not pay as it was not required an they asked me to move quietly along.

Tried to overcharge for the visa. I acted like I was going to take photos of the big boss. Again, move along please. Both times ...no fees. Suggest getting visa prior to trip if you want to avoid the corruption.....Don't bother me though.

Had some Cambo lads tape some cardboard over the light with some writing. Found out later it said "please give me your lane" in Khmer.

Even though I took the bike into the hotel lobbies it didn't stop them from stealing my gas. (FYI)

Did the famed loop over some big N.E. mountain range. Quite cold up there....no jacket for me.  Burrr. Lots of dirt tarcks if your into that sort of thing.

Did the first 2 weeks in N. Cambo. Headed south to the beaches after a few days in P.P. (Passed on Ankor Wat as I'd been there b4 but nice to see if you've never been) Then headed east thru Kampot and Kep. Been there b4. (Think pepper farms in Kep and seafood on the street in Kampot)  Nice places along the S. coast. Ended up crossing into V.N. without realizing it. No real border crossing to speak of. Just kinda motored thru. U-turned after I noticed the script on the road signs changed. :blink:

Back at the border I was told to go back to P.P. for a V.N. visa an they would let me in.

Came back thru Trat? Way south Thailand passing thru the fishing villages along "The Narrowest Part of Thailand". Or so the sign said.

3 weeks in S. Lao and almost 30 in Cambo. 6000 km.

Good trip. First one from S. Lao into N. Cambo.

I love to take to the open road and trails on my own for long trips. Highly recommend but not as much as N. Lao from Chiang Rai going N. to the China border, E. to the VN. border then back S. to Nong Khai but if your open to some unique experiences, hit the road...you'll have no regrets....there's always a new adventure to be had there.

Cheers

Edited by Baht Man

On 15/08/2016 at 1:16 PM, Baht Man said:

Went to S. Lao  on my old Honda 250 enduro. Crossed Thailand to Lao near Mukdahan someplace then crossed into Cambo on the northern border with S. Lao after 3 weeks there. Trip was in the fall sometime. Maybe Sept. Oct. Nov. Brain cells missing .:w00t:

A bit of a wait at the crossing for the folks to get there. Had a tour bus there as well. All the folks in the line had a $1.00 bill sticking out of their passport to pay the "health cert" fee. When I got to the front I told them I would not pay as it was not required an they asked me to move quietly along.

Tried to overcharge for the visa. I acted like I was going to take photos of the big boss. Again, move along please. Both times ...no fees. Suggest getting visa prior to trip if you want to avoid the corruption.....Don't bother me though.

Had some Cambo lads tape some cardboard over the light with some writing. Found out later it said "please give me your lane" in Khmer.

Even though I took the bike into the hotel lobbies it didn't stop them from stealing my gas. (FYI)

Did the famed loop over some big N.E. mountain range. Quite cold up there....no jacket for me.  Burrr. Lots of dirt tarcks if your into that sort of thing.

Did the first 2 weeks in N. Cambo. Headed south to the beaches after a few days in P.P. (Passed on Ankor Wat as I'd been there b4 but nice to see if you've never been) Then headed east thru Kampot and Kep. Been there b4. (Think pepper farms in Kep and seafood on the street in Kampot)  Nice places along the S. coast. Ended up crossing into V.N. without realizing it. No real border crossing to speak of. Just kinda motored thru. U-turned after I noticed the script on the road signs changed. :blink:

Back at the border I was told to go back to P.P. for a V.N. visa an they would let me in.

Came back thru Trat? Way south Thailand passing thru the fishing villages along "The Narrowest Part of Thailand". Or so the sign said.

3 weeks in S. Lao and almost 30 in Cambo. 6000 km.

Good trip. First one from S. Lao into N. Cambo.

I love to take to the open road and trails on my own for long trips. Highly recommend but not as much as N. Lao from Chiang Rai going N. to the China border, E. to the VN. border then back S. to Nong Khai but if your open to some unique experiences, hit the road...you'll have no regrets....there's always a new adventure to be had there.

Cheers

Can you cross into VN from Laos? I know you did it by mistake, but I thought it was difficult to do it properly.

Well, Cambodia is on the list of places to visit for good or bad, I was just wondering what it is like to enter/exit and looking for a bit of a route to head for.

I have to say I am not into big cities anywhere and really like friendly rural locations, so any tips would be useful, also the best time to travel, or times to be avoided.

• 1 month later...
On ‎8‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 10:20 PM, AllanB said:

Can you cross into VN from Laos? I know you did it by mistake, but I thought it was difficult to do it properly.

Actually did the crossing from S.E. Cambodia into VN. Not an issue had I had a visa.

I doubt it would be a problem crossing from Lao to VN. but it may be easier to get your visa prior.

I went from Thailand into Lao, south into Cambo and east again into VN.

It's actually closer to the beaches in VN from Udon than to the beaches in Thailand.

On ‎8‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 10:18 PM, AllanB said:

N.E. Cambo is quite mountainous and in the winter can get a bit cold. I crossed S. Lao into Cambo at Veun Kham which is as south as you can get in Laos. Forget about the dolphins, waste of time and not so scarce as they would lead you to believe but there are some great places to stay on the river in S. Lao near the 4000 islands area. You can cross into Cambo there or head east to V.N via the Ngoc Hoi crossing. From Nakhom Phanom cross into Thakhek and go east on hwy. 12 to cross into VN at Na Phan and now your close to the beaches further east.

My trip took me south into N. Cambo followed 7 south to Stung Treng for the night then headed east on 78 to Ban Lung. (From Stung Treng you could also throw the bike on a bout heading south the Kratie or PP.) Lots of rural roads and trails from Ban Lung into the mountains and some great times meeting up with the tribal folks.

From there I found my way down to Kratie following the river to Stung Trong and Kampong Cham and finally PP for a few days before heading off the the beaches in Swampy. (Head by the Naval base on 41 and east into the jungle to come upon some beautiful, uninhabited and unspoiled beaches. Damn, I want to go back)

It's worth the trip east from there to Kampot and Kep and so many tracks heading north into the mountains you could spend a lifetime on the move.

I never really had a set route (but carried a map) never used a GPS and didn't mind getting lost at all. I never had ANY problems with the locals and was always able to find some place to sleep and get the bike repaired if needed. I only used temples as a last resort, but they'll all take you in for nothing.

Someone said..."It's not the destination, it's the journey".  I've got it in my blood and really want to get back on the bike but I'm pushin' 70 now and not sure how the ole body will take it.

16 hours ago, Baht Man said:

Actually did the crossing from S.E. Cambodia into VN. Not an issue had I had a visa.

I doubt it would be a problem crossing from Lao to VN. but it may be easier to get your visa prior.

I went from Thailand into Lao, south into Cambo and east again into VN.

It's actually closer to the beaches in VN from Udon than to the beaches in Thailand.

You crossed from Cambo to VN on a motorbike?

I've made the trip several times from Pattaya to Sihanoukville, Cambodia crossing the border at Koh Kong. The first couple of trips I had a Honda CB500F and the last couple of times with a CB650F.  As the the other posters say, it's very easy. Just have your green book and a way to turn off or cover your headlight in Cambodia during the day. I think that from Koh Kong to Sihanoukville is a nice ride over several rivers and through some nice hills, very scenic in spots. It's about a 10-11 hour ride including the immigration transfers and I usually do it in two days spending the night in Koh Kong but sometimes I do it in one. Either way a nice ride. 

19 hours ago, papa al said:

You crossed from Cambo to VN on a motorbike?

You can cross into VN on a bike from Cambodia - somewhere on the Mekong delta. You don't get far, from what I remember from a forum post on GTRider or rideasia .. 

3 hours ago, recom273 said:

You can cross into VN on a bike from Cambodia - somewhere on the Mekong delta. You don't get far, from what I remember from a forum post on GTRider or rideasia .. 

#11:  "Actually did the crossing from S.E. Cambodia into VN."

You crossed into VN from Cambo?

Or

You read about somebody crossing?

What?

8 hours ago, papa al said:

#11:  "Actually did the crossing from S.E. Cambodia into VN."

You crossed into VN from Cambo?

Or

You read about somebody crossing?

What?

Try reading some forums where all these questions are answered, routes are provided, and details. 

There is a crossing on the Cambo-VN border where you are allowed to cross into VN, there is some tourist destination which you can ride to. I forget the details .. You can't go any further, than the place.

Other than that we know the answer - it's been answered a million times already.

Every question that you ever have regarding touring SE Asia is answered on GT-rider and rideasia.

14 hours ago, recom273 said:

Try reading some forums where all these questions are answered, routes are provided, and details. 

There is a crossing on the Cambo-VN border where you are allowed to cross into VN, there is some tourist destination which you can ride to. I forget the details .. You can't go any further, than the place.

Other than that we know the answer - it's been answered a million times already.

Every question that you ever have regarding touring SE Asia is answered on GT-rider and rideasia.

papa reads those forums assiduosly.

Have you actually taken a bike into VN?

As per #11?

Or confabulation.

Edited by papa al

On 21/09/2016 at 10:01 AM, recom273 said:

That's not really a constructive answer, "go and look at another website". This is Thaivisa.com, you are claiming you can cross, so please tell us about it. All the information I have says "no", indeed we did a trip last year and hired a bike and everyone I met had either hired, or more often bought/sold their bikes.

If you don't know kindly say so and save us all this trouble, because we plan on going back and rely on information in order to make an informed decision.

You say the question has been answered a million times on other websites, so please provide a link.

Hang on 273, you bought up the subject of crossing into VN, please note this thread is about Cambodia. You also stated there were "millions" of postings, okay I realise that is an exaggeration, but one or two would do and you could do a simple pick and paste to show us. We would gladly accept it as authentic.

Now it seems you saw only "one" and even you can't find "it".

Perhaps a little more accurate posting would be more helpful, i.e that you saw it once and we should spend the rest of our lives trying to find it somewhere on the mellay of GT Rider.

No matter, until I hear differently I will revert to accepting the opinions of everyone else. That you cannot take a bike into VN without a shit load of trouble, if at all.

Sorry I can't be bothered to find a link either but as he said there is one crossing south cambo to VN. But you can only ride in the area 25km or whatever. Its just a quirky thing, but good for those who want to boast and say they've toured in  Vietnam.

Few months ago friends had to hit 3 crossings before they could get into Cambo. Kinda like Laos, whats good one day may not be the next.

For 300 baht I got a kill switch from a KSR mounted on my KLX as a headlight switch, trouble free. Its also a law in Laos but have never heard of anyone being stopped.

Just cleaned up some unhelpful posts and the replies. The two members involved know who they are and should take this as notice that they're on thin ice.

As for anyone telling someone else asking for advice here to do their own research, you totally miss the point of a forum.

Why do you keep saying illegal? No one has ever mentioned an illegal crossing. … 

"""""You check out of Cambodia at Prek Chek Immigration and enter and Vietnam and obtain you 15-day free visa.
At this point you _are_ in mainland Vietnam and continue riding onto to Ha Tien. 

Both Ha Tien (mainland Vietnam) and Phu Quoc island are part of the economic zone. We were unsure
of that when I initially wrote the report, but later added an addendum at the bottom of the report.""""""""

Economic zone with limited access. 

Its the same if you cross into Burma from Mai Sai or Mae Sot, you can cross but your riding area is very limited.  

19 hours ago, marcusb said:

Why do you keep saying illegal? No one has ever mentioned an illegal crossing. … 

"""""You check out of Cambodia at Prek Chek Immigration and enter and Vietnam and obtain you 15-day free visa.
At this point you _are_ in mainland Vietnam and continue riding onto to Ha Tien. 

Both Ha Tien (mainland Vietnam) and Phu Quoc island are part of the economic zone. We were unsure
of that when I initially wrote the report, but later added an addendum at the bottom of the report.""""""""

Economic zone with limited access. 

Its the same if you cross into Burma from Mai Sai or Mae Sot, you can cross but your riding area is very limited.  

Okay that's different, though if is a small self contained area it isn't much use, except as you say, other to say/brag you have "toured VN" on your own bike. Not really into that personally.

I would dearly like to take my own bike to VN, as last time I had to repair the hire bike prior to use (and during) and then the it was just a 100cc NV Wave with a small tank, useless for exploring the mountain roads we found. Other people we met who had purchased bikes in Saigon, had some pretty serious breakdowns.

Back to Cambodia, my plan is to truck my bike to the border and then do a two week tour of the best parts (countryside). Combining it with my visa run.