Thinking of Moving Up to Mae Rim from Central CM

RikDao

1 hour ago, MissAndry said:

Too far out.

Lots of nice 'country places' a lot closer, BoSang, SanSai, DonKeow.

Don Keow ,is in Maerim,

perhaps with your post count in such a short time,    is  getting to you.

its  a  Eric Clapton  good evening to all:)

Edited by evenstevens

DonKeow is centered at the 107/121 intersection, about 10 Km closer to Chiang Mai than Mae Rim. Mae Rim is 22Km form the Moat, DonKeow 12Km from the moat.

When I was deciding where to live, I drew a 10Km circle on the map (just right), with the moat at it's centre and another 20Km circle (too far).

Edited by MissAndry

That one main road is horrid.....That's what has stopped me.....The area is nice but shopping can be a chore if you're use to convenient shopping.....I use to take a back road in & out by some stables to bypass that main road but the last time I went by it looked blocked off....Nice area but not enough conveniences to make it worthwhile for my family.....

We live in a place that makes getting around pretty easy & that makes harder to fathom living there for an active family of 4......

Well, seems to be not too far for us, and the traffic ain't bad to get there.

And we have gorgeous views of (presently) green rice fields that spread for a few miles, plus mountain views in the other direction, not to mention the beautiful sky.

Way off the highway, you can hear a pin drop out there, and there aren't any of those sad, scared, sickly dogs walking around. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE dogs, but how they're treated here is messed up.

Plus, we got a great deal on a great place, and I'll be able to do some organic veggie gardening, while my wife can grow her flowers and things.

Also, there's a Makro out there, which, if that hadn't been there, I wouldn't have wanted to move. I still like to get western food items now and then.

So, I guess it's full steam ahead! My wife already has the village shaman, a very cool guy, ready to come and anoint the place. 

Thanks for the replies!

23 minutes ago, MissAndry said:

DonKeow is centered at the 107/121 intersection, about 10 Km closer to Chiang Mai than Mae Rim. Mae Rim is 22Km form the Moat, DonKeow 12Km from the moat.

When I was deciding where to live, I drew a 10Km circle on the map (just right), with the moat at it's centre and another 20Km circle (too far).

Don Kaeo (Thai: ดอนแก้ว) is a tambon (subdistrict) of Mae RimDistrict, in Chiang Mai Province, Thailand

12 minutes ago, RikDao said:

Well, seems to be not too far for us, and the traffic ain't bad to get there.

And we have gorgeous views of (presently) green rice fields that spread for a few miles, plus mountain views in the other direction, not to mention the beautiful sky.

Way off the highway, you can hear a pin drop out there, and there aren't any of those sad, scared, sickly dogs walking around. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE dogs, but how they're treated here is messed up.

Plus, we got a great deal on a great place, and I'll be able to do some organic veggie gardening, while my wife can grow her flowers and things.

Also, there's a Makro out there, which, if that hadn't been there, I wouldn't have wanted to move. I still like to get western food items now and then.

So, I guess it's full steam ahead! My wife already has the village shaman, a very cool guy, ready to come and anoint the place. 

Thanks for the replies!

Make absolutely 100% sure you have OWNERSHIP/title for the land.....NOT a homestead note which means that possibly maybe someday the government might rescind their right to the federally owned property & allow ownership... ...There's a lot that have both gained & lost over the years & the land usually is available at a great price because all they are selling is a maybe.....

I know people that have been caught up in that limbo for over 10+ years.....Not to mention the village chief or marauding army officer that swings by from time to time for their protection - right to remain money.....

Edited by pgrahmm

1 hour ago, lannarebirth said:

Check out Ban Mae Ann and Ban Huay Sai in Mae Rim. Really lovely places.

Yea, right.  Huay Sai was good (apart from the once horrid road) and very traditional back when Ai Thongdi (long gone) was the only Farang in the village and Wat Mae Aen was totally surrounded by padi land and reached by a small dirt road. And what is with that weird white mansion in Huay Sai, the structure whose architectural inappropriateness creates the ugliest curve on the 3009?   And who is to say they won't bring back the Huay Sai Motocross track to disturb your loveliness on the weekends? And have you not been to any weddings or new house ceremonies in Huay Sai.  Those are loud, very loud events.  OK, so you can walk from just about any home in Huay Sai to the dildo garden if that is your cup of tea. 

Besides, getting neighbors like Stevens whose English is incomprehensible most of the time and more distant and far more surly neighbors like myself, even if I am seasonal now, can't be in your best interest. Best to look around the arc from Hang Dong to Mae Jo.

27 minutes ago, Johpa said:

Yea, right.  Huay Sai was good (apart from the once horrid road) and very traditional back when Ai Thongdi (long gone) was the only Farang in the village and Wat Mae Aen was totally surrounded by padi land and reached by a small dirt road. And what is with that weird white mansion in Huay Sai, the structure whose architectural inappropriateness creates the ugliest curve on the 3009?   And who is to say they won't bring back the Huay Sai Motocross track to disturb your loveliness on the weekends? And have you not been to any weddings or new house ceremonies in Huay Sai.  Those are loud, very loud events.  OK, so you can walk from just about any home in Huay Sai to the dildo garden if that is your cup of tea. 

Besides, getting neighbors like Stevens whose English is incomprehensible most of the time and more distant and far more surly neighbors like myself, even if I am seasonal now, can't be in your best interest. Best to look around the arc from Hang Dong to Mae Jo.

I haven't been in a couple of years. Is Wat Mae Ann no longer surrounded by padi land? My wife has 17 rai and 200 meters of river frontage that adjoins that big white house you're talking about. I haven't seen pictures of it but she assures me it does not block our views. Not Lanna style, eh?

Donkeaw, the southernmost part of Mae Rim district, extends all the way down to the middle ring road on the river. I live by the river about 400 meters north of the ring road. Best location relative to Chiang Mai compared to east, south, or west of the city. 

5 hours ago, lannarebirth said:

I haven't been in a couple of years. Is Wat Mae Ann no longer surrounded by padi land? My wife has 17 rai and 200 meters of river frontage that adjoins that big white house you're talking about. I haven't seen pictures of it but she assures me it does not block our views. Not Lanna style, eh?

Oh, now I know which place you mean. North of Huay Sai, OTW to Ban Nahoog and Ban Saluang. Yes, waaay out of place. I call it the mausoleum, but most mausoleums have less austere landscaping.

12 hours ago, RikDao said:

Oh, OK.

PS - Huh? Is that a good thing?

He would be good company if you can speak his language -  Pitjantjatjara - a Central Australian Abororiginal language. I thinks he can speak a bit of pigeon too.

We love it here. I get confused at the people who don't live in Maerim saying the main road to town is horrid. I think they last went during construction. The road to the city is easy ; the problems start when you get there. I suspect I drive Maerim to the city and back more than most people but Thai Visa never lets knowledge get in the way of a good moan. Admittedly when you live in Maerim you do get used to planning trips into the city to maximise what you do there. For food shopping we have Makro and Tesco online free delivery but the nearest Rimping is a 20 minute drive away if you need that sensation of paying a lot for your food ( but we go to top up on those items only Rimping or Tops stock). There are less restaurant choices, less activities for children to do (especially if they don't speak Thai) , less school choices , less pollution in March, less traffic noise, less traffic jams. It is certainly not for everyone especially if you love bar life and eating out every night at different restaurants but if you want to get up in the morning and walk up a mountain you might like it.

19 hours ago, pgrahmm said:

Make absolutely 100% sure you have OWNERSHIP/title for the land.....NOT a homestead note which means that possibly maybe someday the government might rescind their right to the federally owned property & allow ownership... ...There's a lot that have both gained & lost over the years & the land usually is available at a great price because all they are selling is a maybe.....

I know people that have been caught up in that limbo for over 10+ years.....Not to mention the village chief or marauding army officer that swings by from time to time for their protection - right to remain money.....

Are you referring to Rik Dao,or his wife? My understanding is a falang cannot legally own land here.

Better to rent, then he can move if the sound of geckos, roosters etc. disturb him.

Thanks for replies. While I like CM plenty, I'm looking forward to living out there.

It's just far enough, just close enough, too. Don't go to bars, do eat at restaurants now and then so we'll come in and go to the movies while we're at it, wife likes to cook, so do I, don't have a ton of friends in CM, wife loves the house, so do I, three bedrooms instead of one, means I get my own little study, wife gets a sewing room, etc. Not perfect, maybe, but it's very pleasant.

31 minutes ago, bazza40 said:

Are you referring to Rik Dao,or his wife? My understanding is a falang cannot legally own land here.

Better to rent, then he can move if the sound of geckos, roosters etc. disturb him.

A lot of land there is government owned.....People squat on it & open a claim for the government to rescind the land for private ownership & give it away to the person that has registered the claim on an if come maybe.....Some build nice homes, others just enough to hold the squatters claim.....

Some sell this promissory maybe note/claim as if selling the property....I know some that have been waiting 10+ years & still on hold.....The government basically hasn't been giving anything away & as we've seen recently they've been reclaiming the land & knocking down the structures......

Also - the people there have a pretty constant stream of army folks & ranking villagers soliciting "donations" that are supposed to ensure protection & a promise of better standing with regard to their claims.......

But they really don't own anything except what they can carry away - along with high hopes......And when they "sell" it is always at a good price.  because they're selling basically a promise......

Edited by pgrahmm

It does have the best noodle restaurant in the country. 'Samut Sakon'

Drive through the center towards Chiang Mai, past Tops on your left, big car park and open air restaurant about 4 shops before the traffic lights on the left. 'Guay teow moo deng sen lek nam sai' and a plate of 'geow grop' to dip in, just fantastic.

(Red pork with thin noodles in a clear soup + crispy fried wantons)  about 40-50bht

And Sala Cafe in the hills behind the school and water works.

Nice setting lunch for around 70bht, coffees and smoothies the same price.

Edited by MissAndry

1 hour ago, pgrahmm said:

A lot of land there is government owned.....People squat on it & open a claim for the government to rescind the land for private ownership & give it away to the person that has registered the claim on an if come maybe.....Some build nice homes, others just enough to hold the squatters claim.....

Some sell this promissory maybe note/claim as if selling the property....I know some that have been waiting 10+ years & still on hold.....The government basically hasn't been giving anything away & as we've seen recently they've been reclaiming the land & knocking down the structures......

Also - the people there have a pretty constant stream of army folks & ranking villagers soliciting "donations" that are supposed to ensure protection & a promise of better standing with regard to their claims.......

But they really don't own anything except what they can carry away - along with high hopes......And when they "sell" it is always at a good price.  because they're selling basically a promise......

Which might also qualify this for the best scam Thailand thread..... 

It is true that as the Mae Rim population has increased the administrative power has flowed to the local sub-district offices (O.P.T.) where graft and corruption have increased exponentially.  Although the land office within the Amphoe office was rather notorious dating back decades with payments for maps being redrawn up the Mae Sa valley,  public land sold to a well known 4-star hotel and to lesser resorts.  But, for example, if you want to dig a well you need to get (purchase) approval from the O.P.T.  unless of course we are talking about a commercial operation.

4 hours ago, RikDao said:

Sorry for my naivete, but you lost me. Whaddya mean:  "best scam Thailand thread?"

There's another thread running asking what's best scam in Thailand.....I believe it's in the Pub section......