Where to report a shady alien

I have a condo in bangkok rented out through an agent to an arab. All of our attempts for a photocopy of his passport to register him with immigration have been met with a firm no.

Ive confronted him several times over the last 2 weeks since he moved in and he has been loud and aggressive and has terminated his lease but will stay 2 more weeks untill his month rent payment runs out.

where can I report this piece of shit ? police or immigration. I dont want to have drama if he ends up being a crim and I dont want to be fined for failing to report him at my address.

I'm not sure what you expect to hear.  You have a legal responsibility to register him as an alien in your property. If he refuses to oblige, you may find yourself on a sticky wicket if you don't report it.

good but i need photocopies of passport which he wont allow. the agent just took his passport number. am i good to go with that alone? my understanding is my paperwork would be rejected

Edited by mcfish

• If he's moving out you might as well forget about doing the TM30, Immigration won't know his living in your property unless you tell them, or he goes to immigration himself.
  • If you want to report him, bad idea IMO especially while he's in your property, it's an immigration issue and not the police.

6 minutes ago, mcfish said:

good but i need photocopies of passport which he wont allow. the agent just took his passport number. am i good to go with that alone? my understanding is my palerwork would be rejected

You don't necessarily need to provide a copy of the passport, but you need to know; Date of arrival, Type of Visa, Expiry date of stay, Point of entry, TM6 no.

I don't agree Mcfish.  At the moment you are breaking the law by not reporting his presence.  If he refuses to comply with your legal request to register him, the immigration police (note police) will be very interested in him.  If you are illegally renting they may not care, but they might pass you on to the real police.

Hobson's choice?

• Like 1

It would ring alarm bells with me when he don't want to let you have a copy of his passport. He very obviously don't want to be known. 

You better hope for your own sake he don't do anything naughty because 100% they will find out where he has been staying and you know what the consequences will be.

I really wouldn't want to be you in them circumstances.

Edited by Ronuk

4 minutes ago, Ronuk said:

It would ring alarm bells with me when he don't want to let you have a copy of his passport. He very obviously don't want to be known. 

You better hope for your own sake he don't do anything naughty because 100% they will find out where he has been staying and you know what the consequences will be.

I really wouldn't want to be you in them circumstances.

I agree about the alarm bells, he could very well be on overstay or worse. But I don't think the OP has anything to worry about if he used an agent. The agent is the one that should have vetted the tenant properly.

Just now, elviajero said:

I agree about the alarm bells, he could very well be on overstay or worse. But I don't think the OP has anything to worry about if he used an agent. The agent is the one that should have vetted the tenant properly.

The owner also has a responsibility. I wouldn't want to test it in a Bangkok court room. Just my opinion but I know exactly what I would be doing and trust me, I wouldn't of been asking advice here first. It would of been sorted from the beginning.

100% that Tenant is a wrongun.

Ultimately, if the tenant is just an annoying dick then it will all be over soon.  But the OP suspects him of nefarious acts.  That is what could come back to bite his (the op's) arse if it proves to be accurate.  It's bad form to grass people up, but I think terrorists are fair game.

• Like 1

we rented one of our house to a person like that,

went to immigration to report him,they said thanks,they'd take care of it

its only about a 20 minute drive to immigration,by the time I got home they were already there and had him in hand cuffs

never did find out what they cuffed him for,later was told he was in jail,and would be deported

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, mcfish said:

ok backflip. im going to immigration . i have nothing to hide as im renting legally but unfortunatley immigration dont give you any direction for a hostile tenant.

all terrorists need to live somewhere and i dont want it being my ..place

Good on you mate. Exactly what I would of done. The world is full of Lunatics. You would never forgive yourself if he turned out to be a Terrorist. You just never know anymore. As long as you are legal then you have zero to worry about.

• Like 2

Shouldnt all this have been done BEFORE handing the keys over to the arab?

now he can act belligerent and even trash your place...hope you took two or three months rent as deposit. 

Edited by JHolmesJr
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, Slip said:

Ultimately, if the tenant is just an annoying dick then it will all be over soon.  But the OP suspects him of nefarious acts.  That is what could come back to bite his (the op's) arse if it proves to be accurate.  It's bad form to grass people up, but I think terrorists are fair game.

Listen to you people, first he was an Arab guy not providing a copy of his passport, now be is a terrorist?

And what kind of cool allows an agent to rent his apartment to someone who did not provide their passport on day 1?.

• Like 2

There are 2 possible outcomes Mr Hoohaa.  He is a terrorist or not - it is unlikely he is, but if it were you would you wish to take the risk of being accused of aiding and abetting him?  The op seems to think he might be.  Regardless the law of the country require him to register the tenant.  If the tenant refuses only a fool would entertain it and put himself in a criminal situation.

Isn't this why you hire an agent in the first place?  Why did they even show the place to the guy if they didn't have a copy of the photo page of his passport?  If you'd had a break-in a day or two after the place had been shown to a prospective tenant, wouldn't the police have wanted to know his identity?

Here in Chiang Mai, the agent usually takes care of filing the TM30 form, which means they have to get all the relevant info from the passport before a tenant moves in.  And CM Imm. has gotten very sticky about wanting TM30s on file.