Do EXPATS have a future in Thailand 20 years from now?

JJGreen

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 8/11/2016 at 4:12 PM, pennine said:

Predictions are always difficult, especially about the future.

I prefer predictions ,  about the past , more Historically  accurate . IMHO.

Back on Topic ,  considering the fall in GBP ,  10% in the last mounth ,or so.

Take it to conclusion ,  in  the not too distant future , maybe two years ahead ,if we are fortunate ,

£20 notes will be used for wiping thai backsides . Great white hunter , my Ars.....

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, pumpjack said:

everyone i talk to,  even the old thailand diehards are leaving , heading to better places such as cambo and vietnam.

thai government has <deleted> cked itself   !!

Vietnam is an interesting Chestnut.

How is Cambodia better? 

2 hours ago, pumpjack said:

everyone i talk to,  even the old thailand diehards are leaving , heading to better places such as cambo and vietnam.

You only meet the old expats that are leaving, not the many younger ones who arrive to replace them.

Thailand's expat demographic is changing. 

Thailand's expat/farang demographic starting changing with the influx of younger farangs over 10 yrs. ago. Different attitudes and with a lack of respect. I said so then. Be that as it may, after 15 yrs. here yes the prices have more than doubled, hell you should hear my wife when she goes to the market complain about the increase almost weekly, ah then again maybe you shouldn't.

This "government" doesn't like us and it appears more and more we are to be the whipping boys for a ............... regime. Many of us are married to Issan women and the ............... government doesn't like Issan so could give a damn less if we leave. The writing is on the wall and any farang that doesn't at least have loose contingency plans to boogie is a fool. I'm hoping that before the really drastic change takes place I will be long gone, ashes in the wind, somehow I doubt it. I've had a many "start over" in my life, perhaps I can survive one more. I'll never return to the former United States of America, now AKA as the Corporate Police State of Amerika. Clock is ticking. Life is short, now matter how young you are, I should have died at 21, Charlie missed. Live and enjoy every damn day.

Edited by sgtsabai

7 hours ago, sgtsabai said:

Thailand's expat/farang demographic starting changing with the influx of younger farangs over 10 yrs. ago. Different attitudes and with a lack of respect. I said so then. Be that as it may, after 15 yrs. here yes the prices have more than doubled, hell you should hear my wife when she goes to the market complain about the increase almost weekly, ah then again maybe you shouldn't.

This "government" doesn't like us and it appears more and more we are to be the whipping boys for a ............... regime. Many of us are married to Issan women and the ............... government doesn't like Issan so could give a damn less if we leave. The writing is on the wall and any farang that doesn't at least have loose contingency plans to boogie is a fool. I'm hoping that before the really drastic change takes place I will be long gone, ashes in the wind, somehow I doubt it. I've had a many "start over" in my life, perhaps I can survive one more. I'll never return to the former United States of America, now AKA as the Corporate Police State of Amerika. Clock is ticking. Life is short, now matter how young you are, I should have died at 21, Charlie missed. Live and enjoy every damn day.

Absolute dead wrong.  Check out the inflation rates of your favorite other countries against Thailand.

http://www.tradingeconomics.com/country-list/inflation-rate

Back to basic economics class for you.:gigglem:

15 hours ago, pumpjack said:

Absolute nonsense.  No decent health care outside of Thailand in neighboring countries like Cambodia and Vietnam.  Sorry try again.:facepalm:

On 8/11/2016 at 10:16 AM, LannaGuy said:

come north to Chiang Mai... it's changing but nowhere near as much as BKK/Pattaya and I always head back here after my forays down your neck of the woods and I think that distinction will continue to grow

After several years in Pattaya, I moved to Chiang Mai. Excellent decision. The people in the north are a different, kinder breed, unlike the mercenary types you find in Pattaya, or anywhere near it. 

It's growing at a rate I'm not happy with, mostly due to traffic, but overall I love it, burn season excluded, which is a great time to travel.

My last trip to Pattaya was my last. I can't believe how filthy it is, and the people, well, the people are just not who I want to live around.

They say the grass is always greener on the other side. However, reality is, whichever side you water will be greener. If you think your area has gone to hell, then it has.

On 8/11/2016 at 10:08 AM, Dexlowe said:

I'm not going to enjoy writing this post. But I have been experiencing a lot of antipathy towards me of late (not personal - towards all white western males). I live on the darkside of Pattaya - about 20 mins on the motorbike to Beach Rd. When I first moved here (and in the preceding couple of years), I thought this area was quite cool as it was fairly quiet and the people were friendly. Fast forward 5 years and I'm beginning to feel unwelcome, both on the darkside and in the Pattaya/Jomtien area. Whereas young Thais were mostly indifferent towards you in the past, now there is quite open disdain - even hostility in some cases. Of course, there are still many lovely Thai people around whom I enjoy meeting as I go about my daily chores. But the level of indifference/disdain/resentment is growing ever stronger - it's not my imagination, it's very palpable. I've lived in Thailand for 3 decades, so I think I have a reasonable "handle" on local conditions. 

So, how does this answer the OP's question? Unfortunately, I shall not be around to find out as I intend leaving soon. Part of my reason for going home (apart from wanting to spend my remaining years with family) is that I don't feel quite as comfortable as I did here, even going back just 5 years. There is a lot I still enjoy about living on the darkside, but I fear that the next time some young smart-asp decides to "buzz" the farang on his motorcycle (and put my life in danger) to prove he's the superior Thai male, then I might just snap. And get the sh1t kicked out of me. I can't live in a village like Mr VF above (sorry, mate - I'm a city slicker :) ). So I don't see a comfortable or relaxed lifestyle ahead for us WWMs (white western males) in my area - and it's that lifestyle that I desire in my retirement.

Interesting observation.  Been coming here since 1971 living here only a little over 2 years.  Nothing I could really put a finger on but I've never liked the "vibe" on the darkside or Jomtien.  Hence I spend little or no time there.

Naklua has a very different vibe, very "cool", compared to even Pattaya Central just 15 minutes away. However I agree times are certainly changing.  My heart goes out too the Thais.  Most trapped in poverty, generation after generation.  It's gotta get old.

Then they see the "2 week blowhard millionaires" splashing cash around, it can't help.  And farangs in general have "plenty" of cash.  It's gotta be frustrating as hell for them.

On 8/15/2016 at 2:06 AM, Scotwight said:

Absolute dead wrong.  Check out the inflation rates of your favorite other countries against Thailand.

http://www.tradingeconomics.com/country-list/inflation-rate

Back to basic economics class for you.:gigglem:

No you're wrong on this. Price increases have been a major factor of Thailand losing value. Maybe the food prices didn't increase but going out has become ridiculously expensive. If you want to really have fun it's like 50-100 dollars for a night out. Some Bangkok clubs will charge 400-500 baht just to let a foreigner in. A lot of people are finding it's just not worth it. Not all of us come from expensive countries. I know many people who used to go to Thailand but stopped going because of the prices. The reason they went was to party and they just felt going to a third world country and spending so much just wasn't worth it.

Yes prices have gone up in the last 10 years ,but hardly doubled , as a married guy i dont spend my nights in bars so i cant comment , and eating out for us is going to local ,not tourist traps , of course a lot of the "respect " has gone ,Pattaya is a tourist town , i used to live in one many many years ago in the UK and tourists were there to be rooked ,its the same the world over , but i find when i am out with the wife ,locals realize you are not a tourist , i just dont get overcharged and the only people who ever stop me on beach rd are the tailors ,who again realize you are local and just try to tell you they can make my shirt cheaper than the last guy who made it .

On 8/14/2016 at 3:09 PM, pumpjack said:

These same guys have been threatening to leave forever.  Why don't they just freakin go already??

On 8/14/2016 at 3:09 PM, pumpjack said:

it must be nice to be poor moving from country to country with only a smartphone and a backpack :whistling:

On 8/11/2016 at 11:22 AM, MissAndry said:

Only once a year? I try to get out once a month!

Well, since, by your own admission, you've only been in Thailand for two months, maybe three by now, that's quite a record you have there.

On 8/16/2016 at 10:33 AM, i claudius said:

Yes prices have gone up in the last 10 years ,but hardly doubled , as a married guy i dont spend my nights in bars so i cant comment , and eating out for us is going to local ,not tourist traps , of course a lot of the "respect " has gone ,Pattaya is a tourist town , i used to live in one many many years ago in the UK and tourists were there to be rooked ,its the same the world over , but i find when i am out with the wife ,locals realize you are not a tourist , i just dont get overcharged and the only people who ever stop me on beach rd are the tailors ,who again realize you are local and just try to tell you they can make my shirt cheaper than the last guy who made it .

Some prices have doubled here on Phuket.

As you say, once the tourists are no longer a novelty, then they are perceived as someone to rip off.

You may be right that your wife makes you immune to this, but I've found that frequenting the same local shops (and thus getting to know them) has had the same effect :).

On two occasions I've had shop owners (or family) give me money back the next time I visited, because they'd made a mistake!

On 8/17/2016 at 0:04 PM, Tagaa said:

Well, since, by your own admission, you've only been in Thailand for two months, maybe three by now, that's quite a record you have there.

May, I was in the UK (London and Cornwall), June I was in Laos (Suvannakhet), July was all Chiang Mai, August the Philippines (Olongapo).

4 countries in 4 months, Vietnam next ........ or Bali ........... plenty of places to visit and air fares are cheap.

Edited by MissAndry

I just got back from Scambodia yesterday. Every guy I met there is ex Thai expat, had to leave as financial refugees. Every one of them miss Thailand, and say Cambodians are worse than Thais by almost every measure.
I myself was victim to attempted scams large and small every day there.
I returned to Thailand and all its faults with renewed gratitude I can still live here.
On arrival, I heard about an American who sold everything and returned to Hawaii with his Thai wife. He lasted a month, and is reportedly heading back here again...
To those thinking of leaving. I'd suggest you visit the place you have in mind first, including your old stamping ground, before you make an expensive mistake.

Sent from my HUAWEI MT7-TL10 using Tapatalk

Nice try.

But  Boracay Island  in PI has better beaches than Thailand .

So many better places.

Had to laugh at the scamming comments..( Thailand is leader )

Back to question.

The cycle of coups makes Thailand a crippled long term state.

As civil unrest is always seemingly possible.

Retirement is about peace.

Westerners are also less welcome.

And truth is in 20 years Thailand will be a colony of Mainland China State at this rate.

We would have long moved on.

Or be under such strict tagging and rules and regulations it wouldn't be nice.

Happening now.

Thailand is over War is approaching.

After that communists will swoop

6 hours ago, Plutojames88 said:

Nice try.

But  Boracay Island  in PI has better beaches than Thailand .

So many better places.

Had to laugh at the scamming comments..( Thailand is leader )

Back to question.

The cycle of coups makes Thailand a crippled long term state.

As civil unrest is always seemingly possible.

Retirement is about peace.

Westerners are also less welcome.

And truth is in 20 years Thailand will be a colony of Mainland China State at this rate.

We would have long moved on.

Or be under such strict tagging and rules and regulations it wouldn't be nice.

Happening now.

Thailand is over War is approaching.

After that communists will swoop

Do you know anything about Thai history and the attempts of the Communists in the past?  Or the problems of the 1960"s?  For those of us who were here in the 60's and 70's today does not seem so bad.  Maybe talk to a few old timers and get a better perspective of what it was like and what it will be like.   

2 hours ago, anotheruser said:

expats don't have a future now, so why ask about 20 years from now?

/thread

Speak for yourself.  Better say, "I don't have a future here now."  Because, I'm fine and have a nice future when compared to what awaits the poor folks back in Hillary land.:cheesy: