Cataract surgery

qualtrough

About two years ago I went to the premier eye hospital here and was diagnosed with cataracts. I was all set to have the operation and visited for a final check up before the scheduled op a few days later. Unfortunately I came down with pink eye within a day or two and couldn't go through with it. That was a bit discouraging. I subsequently visited them a few months back and saw the same doctor, and I just didn't get a good feeling from her so I didn't schedule an op. So, I am looking for recommendations for any alternative facilities in Bangkok. While quality is paramount, I would be interested in hearing about prices too. At this place it was around 58,000 baht per eye.

As Sheryl points out, it's the doctor that's important, not so much the facility.

I've been quite pleased with Dr Chaiwat at Rutnin, been seeing him for glaucoma for 25 years.  He's done four opns on my eyes:

--  1 Dec 1999        Rutnin           Cataract w/ IOL (LE)         b44,000        $1,151.12

--  26 March 2005    Rutnin        Cataract w/ IOL (RE)         b 37,500      $1,901.43

--  2 July 2003        Rutnin      Trabeculectomy (LE)          b 28,000      $681.69

--  19 Jan 2011       Rutnin        Trabeculectomy (RE)            b 28,100    $931.70

Mac

This is the most common operation performed so it can and is done in just about every facility - mine were done about 15 months ago at Vejthani Hospital by a doctor who has retired.  Cost was 35k plus 1k measurement each eye for basic distance vision IOL.   There are choices to make as to type of lens. 

The hospital does not matter, it is the doctor (and your decision was, aparently, based on the doctor).

If you do a search of this forum, you'll find specific doctor names mentioned. Sometimes works better to type the search term + "site:thaivisa.com" into google than to use the forum search function.

On 8/11/2016 at 4:23 PM, lopburi3 said:

This is the most common operation performed so it can and is done in just about every facility - mine were done about 15 months ago at Vejthani Hospital by a doctor who has retired.  Cost was 35k plus 1k measurement each eye for basic distance vision IOL.   There are choices to make as to type of lens. 

I went down there today. Cost now is 51K for mono-focal and 81K for multi-focal! I just wrote another post about the two lenses as I am trying to decide which to go for. The hospital experience was good, thanks.

4 hours ago, qualtrough said:

I went down there today. Cost now is 51K for mono-focal and 81K for multi-focal! I just wrote another post about the two lenses as I am trying to decide which to go for. The hospital experience was good, thanks.

Be aware that I have always received a quote that was quite a bit higher than actual bill at that hospital - believe nurse always errs on high side in case of issues.  Remember my quote was about the same, and so was Thai wife, but all were the same 35k in the end (even without bargaining).   It might be worth doing a little bargaining.