Which printer?

Swamp Thing

Cannon, Epsom, Hp. Not a lot of difference, same features, around the same price. Most can be purchased with external ink tanks fitted. Tukom IT mall has thousands of them.

I have an Epson L210, ink printer, 3 in 1, bought at Powerbuy Pattaya next to foodland.

Good things about it: Huge tanks (4) and you buy refill bottles fairly cheap. Photo printing quality is okay for a 4 tank color printer.

Bad things:

1: I print a lot of A4 photos and they fade away if I don't laminate them, so I bought a laminater machine.

2: After the Win10 big update 2 days ago, the scanner don't work anymore. Tried load  new Epson software yesterday but no, no scanner anymore, which is bad news for me because I need that quite often. Still working on it.

3: As with most inkjet printer, they don't like to be left alone for 2 month and the nozzles clogs up. I now have to print in photo quality in order to get good test prints.

Check carefully how much refill cartridges cost before you buy anything, they sometimes cost about the same(or more) than the whole printer, that's why I got the L210.

So, so many good ones.  And quite a few now are coming with factory-designed/installed refillable tanks versus needing to have an unauthorized modification done to install external tanks.  Guess the manufacturers have finally given in to the fact that  many people don't want to buy an expensive refill print cartridges/heads frequently....for anyone who did any significant amount of printing a person could go broke is just buying refill cartridges.   I would buy one that comes with refillable tanks designed/built-in from the factory....plenty to choose from like from Canon, Epson, and others now days...but just a few years ago that was not the case....instead you needed to have Somchai do an unauthorized modification.

For people like me who rarely do much printing I recommend buying a laser rather than an inkjet. Mine is still on the original starter cartridge (purchased 3 years ago) and it never clogs or dries out even if not used for months.

Obviously the above would not apply to those who print every day or every week.

28 minutes ago, guzzi850m2 said:

I have an Epson L210, ink printer, 3 in 1, bought at Powerbuy Pattaya next to foodland.

Good things about it: Huge tanks (4) and you buy refill bottles fairly cheap. Photo printing quality is okay for a 4 tank color printer.

Bad things:

1: I print a lot of A4 photos and they fade away if I don't laminate them, so I bought a laminater machine.

2: After the Win10 big update 2 days ago, the scanner don't work anymore. Tried load  new Epson software yesterday but no, no scanner anymore, which is bad news for me because I need that quite often. Still working on it.

3: As with most inkjet printer, they don't like to be left alone for 2 month and the nozzles clogs up. I now have to print in photo quality in order to get good test prints.

Check carefully how much refill cartridges cost before you buy anything, they sometimes cost about the same(or more) than the whole printer, that's why I got the L210.

Re #2 above: My Brother printer's scanner also does not work with Win 10. Exasperating, as I use this feature a lot. Will revert to Win 8+ soon. Guzzi850m2's last statement is so very true.

Thanks for the replies.

2600bht, (or thereabouts), sounds like a good deal.

I'm running W7 at the moment, and I'm not keen to change, on the 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it' principle.

From your replies, if I stick to the major brands, I'm likely to get a good one.

I like the idea of the refillable tanks built into the machine.

I'll make a routine for printing to keep it working well.

I'll go to check them out soon.

Thanks again.

Fed up with ink jet printers, had a few here, NOT cheap ones but still the same, ink dries out/clogs... 2x Cannon [ both cost over 5,000 baht each], 2x Epsom, 1x total rubbish that cost over 3,000 baht from Hp.  

Now have a Brothers Laser printer/copy/scan and is perfect for my use, so far 3 years on, also no problem going from Win 7 to Win 10.. 

Depends what you want the machine for ? 

• 1 year later...
On 12.8.2016 at 9:00 AM, KittenKong said:

For people like me who rarely do much printing I recommend buying a laser rather than an inkjet. Mine is still on the original starter cartridge (purchased 3 years ago) and it never clogs or dries out even if not used for months.

Obviously the above would not apply to those who print every day or every week.

I am so happy having gotten off the inkjets.

I have a Brother DCP 1510 B/W laser (scan/print/copy).

It does the "office" job whenever I power it own.

Was about 3000 Baht.

I have given the cheap inkjet (HP Deskjet Ink Advantage 2060) to the granddaughter.

Advantage: it's an Asian distributed model with cartridges being cheaper and easy to refill.

No "smart" cartridges that will "self destruct" after 500 pages whether empty or not, brazen!

On 22.10.2017 at 11:20 AM, Davejf2017 said:

Where can you get ink cartridges refilled in Pattaya for a Hp printer

At the usual suspects.

Tukcom on south Pattaya rd. assuming not all shops have moved to the Harbor Mall on central rd.

Can't list the 100+ (?) other places in Pattaya as I don't live there.

And don't go to an HP shop :biggrin:

56 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

I am so happy having gotten off the inkjets.

I have a Brother DCP 1510 B/W laser (scan/print/copy).

It does the "office" job whenever I power it own.

Was about 3000 Baht.

I have given the cheap inkjet (HP Deskjet Ink Advantage 2060) to the granddaughter.

Advantage: it's an Asian distributed model with cartridges being cheaper and easy to refill.

No "smart" cartridges that will "self destruct" after 500 pages whether empty or not, brazen!

Any particular reason(s) beyond those you mention you chose the Brother DCP 1510 laser scanner/printer over other laser scanner/printers?  Research?  Got lucky?  Like Brother products? 

While I get along OK with my Canon ink jet scanner/printer with external refill tanks the printer heads still need to be replaced every 18 to 24 months...not due to lack of ink since I have external tanks but just because Canon includes a page count chip in the heads which after so many prints the printer head seems to slowly self destruct.

Before I moved to Thailand I used an Epson laser printer that gave me like zero problems....just needed to refill/replace the toner cartridge after "many" pages were printed.  

Anyway, any particular reason you ended up with the 1510?  And with the high humidity problem in Thailand do you have any problem with the toner cartridge powder becoming damp after being in the printer for months which messes up/degrades the print clarity?

Edit: And does it "scan" in color or only mono?  I know it prints and copies in nomo, but the specs are unclear on does it scan in color to feed into a computer imaging program.  Since its specs don't mention "color" scanning I'm guessing right now it scans in mono only also?

Never mind the question about "does it scan in color or just monochrome?"  I finally found the right detailed specifications page on the Brother website that gives the answer....answer is yes.  Earlier I was only finding a summary specifications page which didn't say whether in scanned in monochrome or color.

http://support.brother.com/g/b/spec.aspx?c=eu_ot&lang=en&prod=dcp1510_eu_as

Of course color scan.

Otherwise some of the stuff I upload to the forum would be B/W :biggrin:

But for immigration and other office purpose the B/W prints/copies are fully sufficient.

And I have never seen color copiers at or around the offices.

If only I knew why I ended up with this particular one?

Can't remember whether I read reviews or the like.

And initially it was for another granddaughter during her college time.

I was afraid that she would have too much trouble/fuss with an ink printer.

Indeed in irregular intervals the print shows stripes/big dots.

Then there is the need to clean the fuser drum(?) as toner might have stuck and burnt in.

Not a big deal, just careful with a cloth and some alcohol.

The toner cartridge off the factory can NOT be refilled (so I was told).

But the replacement cartridges could.

Cost 300 Baht and lasts for ? can't remember.

(though my print volume is low)

Big thanks.  A few hours ago I read some reviews of the Brother 1510 laser printer and generally go good reviews as one of the best low budget laser printers.  The review said the text quality was very good and graphics was OK.

One thing I was concerned about since I don't use a printer, but when I do I want it to immediately work versus the ink head being clogged since the printer may set around for a month (or more) without use/being powered up.  To help prevent this I do my best to try to remember to turn my Canon ink jet printer on every two weeks or so, and copy-print a small multicolor document to in hopes of keeping the print heads unclogged---ready to print good whenever needed. 

So far that has worked pretty well for the 5 years or so I've had this particular Canon multifunction ink jet printer....but there have been a few frustrating times with clogged heads.'s  And like I mentioned earlier how the heads begin to deteriorate/kinda self destruct after X-amount of pages have been printed due to the page counter chip Canon has in the printheads....Canon ways of forcing a print head change even if you have modify the printer with external ink tanks providing an endless supply of ink.

And for a laser printer which uses toner cartridge "powder" and with Thailand being a high humidity place year round I was wondering if you had any problems in print quality when the printer may not had been used for a month or more.

Thanks again.

I second the recommendations for a laser printer. I'll never go back to inkjet.

If anyone's interested in Linux compatibility, now or down the road, Samsung seems to have that covered best. You can't trust manufacturer's drivers and the only way to know for sure before you buy is to google around, check the forums, and check a printer database: https://www.openprinting.org/printers.

http://www.lazada.co.th/samsung/?q=samsung laser printer&sort=popularity&viewType=gridView&fs=1

21 hours ago, Pib said:

And for a laser printer which uses toner cartridge "powder" and with Thailand being a high humidity place year round I was wondering if you had any problems in print quality when the printer may not had been used for a month or more.

My original small starter cartridge (now around 5 years old and still half full) is working fine. You can guess how often I print anything.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived