Private sector says bombing has only short-term impact on economy

rooster59

Private sector says bombing has only short-term impact on economy

image-19-wpcf_728x409.jpeg

BANGKOK:-- The private sector is confident that the bombing incidents at tourist locations in several southern provinces will have only short-term impact after international terrorism was ruled out.

Thanawat Pholvichai, director of the Economic and Business Forecasting Centre of the University of Thai Chamber of Commerce, voiced his confidence after authorities ruled out international terrorism as the cause.

But he said investigation by security authorities should determine if the violence had any link with the southern insurgency in the deep south, or it was the work of any group of opportunists hoping for some gains in the violence.

However he believed it was domestic affairs, adding in such scenario, the impact on economy would be short-term and minimal.

He put the economic loss from the bombing incident at just a billion baht, while expressing confidence the country will return to peace and order quickly, if security authorities could establish the exact cause faster.

Thai Chamber of Commerce vice president Mr Kalin Sarasin also shared the same view saying that the bombing incidents have only short-term impact as he believed the government could restore peace and order quickly.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/private-sector-says-bombing-short-term-impact-economy/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2016-08-13

image-19-wpcf_728x409.jpeg

Yes, but maybe they should ponder that terrorism, international or otherwise, was ruled out by a Buffoon in Brown posing in front of the cameras on a lavishly draped podium.

Said buffoon wouldn't recognise a terrorist act if someone dressed in black stuffed a Nokia down his underpants and detonated it by text message!

Edited by JAG

One thing that Thailand is renowned for is the resilience of its tourist industry.

Apart from the sharp dent before peace was restored in 2014 it has been constantly going up according to official figures or as I like to call them FACTS!

Screen Shot 2016-08-13 at 4.29.51 PM.png

41 minutes ago, thai3 said:

All they seem to care about is money

Ummm, the article is referring to the director of the Economic and Business Forecasting Centre of the University of Thai Chamber of Commerce.

The subject is appropriate to the role this person plays and I certainly hope he is concerned about the economy and business. i.e. money.

It is like interviewing a kindergarten teacher with the comments stating "All they are concerned about is the kids!!!

Have a great afternoon my friend.

Edited by djjamie

3 minutes ago, djjamie said:

One thing that Thailand is renowned for is the resilience of its tourist industry.

Apart from the sharp dent before peace was restored in 2014 it has been constantly going up according to official figures or as I like to call them FACTS!

You call them them what you want and you'll be in one of your favourite words,  Minority.

If it is red shirts. then what happens if its not an isolated group of incidents but in fact the beginning of a wider campaign of violent resistance? If its southern insurgency, what happens if its a declaration that they plan to push north in order to bring their fight to the attention of the international media? I appreciate they want to talk it down, but this seems a tad presumptuous when they've yet to even establish the motive. 

kk, did a little test. Logging out had no change. Logging out and changing proxxy had no change. But logging out, changing proxxy and changing web browser revealed the thread in its older state (though with missing comments). 

This is some perplexing stuff. It seems you can still see your own deleted posts, but others cant. I genuinely have no idea if anyone but me can see this post either. 

The stories I have read in the English online Daily Mirror that have been about Thailand over the course of this year have all been bad news.

There has not been one good news story grace a single page of that paper.

Unlike TV those papers don't cover stories of taxi drivers returning wallets to customers, which in turn helps put another 10 million people on planes to Thailand.

Tho it has also been a while since there has been a story on here about such good deeds either.

2 hours ago, djjamie said:

Ummm, the article is referring to the director of the Economic and Business Forecasting Centre of the University of Thai Chamber of Commerce.

The subject is appropriate to the role this person plays and I certainly hope he is concerned about the economy and business. i.e. money.

It is like interviewing a kindergarten teacher with the comments stating "All they are concerned about is the kids!!!

It appears you have been down the burrow discussing these issues with Alice and the White Rabbit. I hope you had a nice afternoon tea down there.

Obviously but unsurprisingly it has escaped all three of you that these fiscal blowhards are commenting primarily about terrorism which is something that they (like kindergarten teachers) would know almost nothing about. Their regular financial press announcements can be judged the same. Shallow, predictable, lacking in facts, relying on hope and designed to keep themselves in a job.

Economically speaking, back in 2014 after democracy came to an end foreign investors fled as fast as they could go looking for greener pastures in countries nearby. They have not returned  yet nor are they likely to any time soon as a result of these bombings.

Edited by Brer Fox
grammatical correctio

6 minutes ago, weecree said:

kk, did a little test. Logging out had no change. Logging out and changing proxxy had no change. But logging out, changing proxxy and changing web browser revealed the thread in its older state (though with missing comments). 

This is some perplexing stuff. It seems you can still see your own deleted posts, but others cant. I genuinely have no idea if anyone but me can see this post either. 

Welcome to The Twilight Zone and This Is The Voice Of The Mysterons.

I believe the comment was more about appropriate timing, not if he's the appropriate person to comment.

Tears of grief are still falling, the bodies probably haven't even been burned yet..... but here comes the guy to tell us sales of noodles and monkey balls are unaffected, or the ding dong from Tourism and Sports Ministry, with her proclamations and predictions.

While Thanawat may tell us the private sector is confident of only have short-term impact from the bombings, his photograph suggests that he is looking for help from a higher authority!

The first real test of "local" confidence comes on Monday, when the Stock Exchange of Thailand opens for business.

No doubt, the task now is for Thai authorities to try to convince everyone (who will listen to them) that it was ONLY "domestic affairs" that lead to the bombings (so, there is nothing to worry about - even though 4 people were killed and dozens injured), because as Thanawat says, "...in such scenario, the impact on economy would be short-term and minimal...".

Awkwardly for the junta, the international community may have renewed interest in Thailand's affairs.

I only hope it was not some kind of of violent groups linked to the reds because if could be civil war in the years to come.

By Islamic terrorism the international community might still be behind if foreign terrorists try to destablise the country but if the political bombings are starting again, foreigners will most likely stay away when the Thai's start killing each other again.

I really hope it was a one time incident but if more bombs are going off it will have a negative factor on Thailand's tourism industry for 2017/2018

Yes, but mostly as a result of marketing to package tour operators.  Arrivals from US and Europe are down sharply.  The increase is from Chinese which have a lower spend per visitor.  They're making up for that via volume on the Chinese and Indian side.  

The problem is, Thailand is becoming less and less appealing to farangs and they are now putting all of their eggs in the Chinese basked which is probably more of a one-and-done sort of tourism market (been there, seen it, let's go somewhere else next year).  Granted, China has a lot of people but given all of the "cultural" issues they're already having with the Chinese, the China tourist pipeline might not last the decades it took for farangs to start getting fed up.  

4 hours ago, digibum said:

Yes, but mostly as a result of marketing to package tour operators.  Arrivals from US and Europe are down sharply.  The increase is from Chinese which have a lower spend per visitor.  They're making up for that via volume on the Chinese and Indian side.  

The problem is, Thailand is becoming less and less appealing to farangs and they are now putting all of their eggs in the Chinese basked which is probably more of a one-and-done sort of tourism market (been there, seen it, let's go somewhere else next year).  Granted, China has a lot of people but given all of the "cultural" issues they're already having with the Chinese, the China tourist pipeline might not last the decades it took for farangs to start getting fed up.  

Chinese tourists will run a mile from terrorism. Sex tourists won't blink an eye and press on toward their objective regardless of any potential danger.