Folding bike vs. Road bike

CanInBKK

I'm looking to get "into" cycling, specifically making regular trips to the Skylane at the airport.  At the moment I'm stuck deciding whether to buy a full sized road bike or a folding road bike.

1. If I buy a full sized road bike can I fit the bike into a Toyota Altis' rear seat by taking off the front wheel? A bike rack is out of the question as it wouldn't be my car and I wouldn't risk damaging the paint.

2. If I go with a folding bike would it be able to keep up to a full sized bike? (All other things being equal). I've read many statements regarding gearing vs wheel size but let's just say my sole experience riding a folding bike many years ago was less than inspiring.

example:

Dahon Altena folding bike - 20" wheels

I'd converted myself over to 20" since 2003.

The hurdle to get over, is that there is no ego lost having some boy racer on a 700 etc zooming past you...

Do your best speed - maintaining the same pedal cadence for you given gear, and you'll still get to where you want.

No, you won't keep up, as it will be nigh impossible to acquire enough ratios, to compromise the smaller wheels.

I can only get to 38kmh cruising on the flat on a ride, whereas anything up to 50 and beyond can be had with big bike wheels

My only compromise in going 20" is the extra jolting about - as I have never used a bike with suspension

Even my folder, bought 2004 is a 20"

I have the wife's 24" MTB available to me, with shocks, if I want it, but ... naaah!!

I also still have my recumbent trike on the road, and it too I have retrofitted with 20" all round (it used to have a driven 700c)

With the smaller 20" wheels, no hill can stop me

If you took both wheels off a road bike you shouldn't have much trouble fitting it in to your car but your main problem would be covering the backseat and so on to stop it getting messed up with oil and the likes. 

I think to answer your question you have to try out a folding bike and see how you feel about it. Never ridden one myself but your main priority to should be what you feel like on the road. I don't think transportation is the main issue.

I test rode a Montague in New York from these guys: http://www.nycewheels.com/folding-bike.html. [Might fit in the OP's car.]

Plenty of info available from them on Montague and the smaller wheeled folders. In the end I decided to keep on lugging my full sized frame around, but might consider a Ritchey Breakaway at some point. 

For me, the smaller wheels feel less dynamically stable and I regularly perceive an incipient endo - although to be fair the fully developed manoeuvre didn't eventuate! 

You might want to research on bikeforums folding section.

A Bike Friday or Moulton with drop bars would keep up or pass any road bike with a big enough chainring.

They are pricey, but you can also consider flying abroad with them since they can fit a full size suitcase disassembled.

I had an Altena-like Silvertip but it is such a big fold it's not worth it.

If you removed the wheels off a minivelo then it would be easy to fit in a car but you may want to just stick to a full road bike then.

You will have to remove both wheels from a regular road bike to fit the back seat of a car.

Just use a thick blanket to protect the seat.

Thanks for the additional inputs, guys.  This past weekend I had the chance to visit a few bike shops in Bangkok but drop bar folders that showed "in stock" on their websites were nowhere to be found.  But the upside is that I saw a few full sized road bikes that were interesting and in budget.  I think what I might end up doing is going with a modest full sized bike and if cycling proves to be something I stick with (love the activity, hate the blazing heat) I'll upgrade to a really nice folder like the Pacific Reach R20 (currently priced at over 80k). 

I bought a Brompton, which you'll see from the attached photos, travels with me wherever I go.

The one drawback I see with small wheels is how they gandle rough roads, where larger wheels are an advantage.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Well, pulled the trigger and bought a "decent" bike. Aluminum frame with carbon forks and adequate group set. I've been out of biking for so long that when the technician put the bike on the test rollers I'm ashamed to admit I had to ask where the gear shifters were hahaha!!! 

Took the bike for a short 10k ride and man, I'll have to say bikes have gotten so much stiffer and responsive over the years. It felt like every bump was transmitted directly up the tires and frame into my buttocks!! Good news is I can't wait to go for another ride!!

• 4 weeks later...

What bike did you end up getting?

Aluminum bikes are great value; but often very harsh riding compared to carbon, steel or ti.

The stiffness does allow great power transfer to the road though.

The high end ones like the CAAD12 are even said to be comfortable.

All bikes are compromises; so even expensive ones have flaws.

I think any bike over 10,000 baht gets the job done as long as you aren't trying to race others.

On September 21, 2016 at 1:39 AM, ttakata said:

What bike did you end up getting?

Aluminum bikes are great value; but often very harsh riding compared to carbon, steel or ti.

The stiffness does allow great power transfer to the road though.

The high end ones like the CAAD12 are even said to be comfortable.

All bikes are compromises; so even expensive ones have flaws.

I think any bike over 10,000 baht gets the job done as long as you aren't trying to race others.

ttakata, I ended up with a Fuji bike, something similar to this bike. The frame is nice and stiff and fits my riding needs. If there's anything I'd improve now, it's the seat, after halfway through a lap of the Skylane......wow! My rear is killing me.

Ironically, I ended up getting another folder for the wife and am nicely surprised that both will fit in the rear seat (folder on the seat itself and road bike without front wheel in the gap) leaving the trunk completely empty for any luggage when traveling upcountry for a riding weekend.

Nice, I had a Fuji road bike as a kid and still have it at my parents house.

Your bike is probably light years ahead of my old one.

Saddles are a lottery; I've bought 10+ over the years from cheap to 10,000 baht and most were sold after trying.

For a road bike I like Selle Anatomica X.

Cycling shorts help alot and you can put normal shorts over them.

As ttakata says, get yourself a good pair of cycling bibs/shorts if you haven't already. They'll go a long way to improving ride comfort.

The other issue could simply be the angle of the saddle, or just that your backside isn't yet used to it yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On September 30, 2016 at 3:02 PM, moonoi said:

As ttakata says, get yourself a good pair of cycling bibs/shorts if you haven't already. They'll go a long way to improving ride comfort.

The other issue could simply be the angle of the saddle, or just that your backside isn't yet used to it yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the advice. I went to my LBS this weekend and picked up a pair of cycling shorts and a torque wrench, adjusted the seat angle "up" a few degrees and went for a ride on the Skylane.  It was "odd" at first wearing the shorts without underwear as advised in so many YouTube videos but I kinda got used to it. Overall I think these two adjustments helped but I still might have to play the "saddle lottery" as there's still some discomfort after a while.

sidenote: this past Sunday must've been a rough weekend for the Skylane as I rode past 3 different multi-person wrecks. From a ride by glance the worst was a fellow who had his arm wrapped in bandages to secure it to his upper torso (possibly a fracture or dislocation?)

Thanks for the advice. I went to my LBS this weekend and picked up a pair of cycling shorts and a torque wrench, adjusted the seat angle "up" a few degrees and went for a ride on the Skylane.  It was "odd" at first wearing the shorts without underwear as advised in so many YouTube videos but I kinda got used to it. Overall I think these two adjustments helped but I still might have to play the "saddle lottery" as there's still some discomfort after a while.

sidenote: this past Sunday must've been a rough weekend for the Skylane as I rode past 3 different multi-person wrecks. From a ride by glance the worst was a fellow who had his arm wrapped in bandages to secure it to his upper torso (possibly a fracture or dislocation?)

You should have the saddle flat, or angled downwards at the nose by not more than 2 degrees.

Skylane can be pretty dangerous these days, combination of fast chain gangs and novice cyclists not looking where they are going and taking selfies is a recipe for disaster.

23 hours ago, moonoi said:

You should have the saddle flat, or angled downwards at the nose by not more than 2 degrees.

Skylane can be pretty dangerous these days, combination of fast chain gangs and novice cyclists not looking where they are going and taking selfies is a recipe for disaster.

Yes to the above in bold. I think I mis-worded my post and should clarify that the seat was slightly down from the shop fitting (presumably more aero?). I found myself sliding onto the narrow portion after every couple of kilos so I adjusted it up into a flat position.

BTW, out of curiosity is the Skylane busier in the mornings or evenings? A lot of people in the morning but can't imagine it if the evenings are even busier!

• 11 months later...

I purchased a Stromer ST1x  at computer quantumebikes eight months agone following a significant back injury. i used to be upset that the fun of riding a motorbike would be gone with such a strong motor assist.

Honestly, it isn't a similar as riding a standard bike. It's completely different. For this Stromer, you'll extremely feel that this machine is at the fine purpose of technological advancement. it is a blast to ride, however I do typically yearn for the a lot of ancient days.