NESDB: Bombings will not impact on GDP

webfact

NESDB: Bombings will not impact on GDP

NESDB-wpcf_728x410.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The recent spate of bombing and arson attacks in seven southern provinces are unlikely to impact on Thailand’s growth rate or GDP which is anticipated to register at 3.3 percent for the whole of this year, said Mr Paramethi Wimonsiri, secretary-general of the National Economic and Social Development Board, on Monday.

Growth rate for the second quarter which was registered at 3.5 percent has driven the economy for the first half of the year to expand 3.4 percent as a result of increase in household spendings as evident in the expansion of car sale – the first in 13 quarters – expansion in industrial production, tourism and government investment, he said, adding that GDP for the whole year is expected to record at 3.3 percent or within the range of 3.0-3.5 percent.

He pointed out that security agencies were capable of controlling the situation quickly after the violent incidents in the seven southern provinces last week whereas the injured victims from the bomb explosions, including foreign tourists, had been taken good care of.

As such, he said there was no need to factor in the violent incidents in the assessment of economic expansion during the second half of the year and the whole year.

Mr Paramethi, however, pointed out that global economy after Britain’s exit from the European Union might cause baht fluctuations and affect exports which, by yearend, may shrink 1.9 percent for the whole year.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/nesdb-bombings-will-not-impact-gdp/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2016-08-16

The bombings  may not, but if the talks and plans about people having to switch to or buy special Thai SIMS sure will.  Many people have their own phones and by definition most tourists will have phones from their home country that have their own SIMS  which have all their contacts and phone numbers etc.  Any such SIM Tom Foolery will cause an impact.  In this modern age many people need to be constantly connected to their businesses, streaming security cams that monitor their businesses or homes, are required to be used for the data plan they are part of, and do various other things that expect to see their SIM.  I know my banks and other financial institutions expect my phone number when I call them and that is only going to happen if I use my phone with my SIM.  If I don't call with my phone, a lot more security questions get asked.  Also, many institutions now use a two pass system where they send a text message to my cell phone.  How in the world is that going to happen if I have to use another SIM, which by the way many phones won't allow SIM switching

8 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

The bombings  may not, but if the talks and plans about people having to switch to or buy special Thai SIMS sure will.  Many people have their own phones and by definition most tourists will have phones from their home country that have their own SIMS  which have all their contacts and phone numbers etc.  Any such SIM Tom Foolery will cause an impact.  In this modern age many people need to be constantly connected to their businesses, streaming security cams that monitor their businesses or homes, are required to be used for the data plan they are part of, and do various other things that expect to see their SIM.  I know my banks and other financial institutions expect my phone number when I call them and that is only going to happen if I use my phone with my SIM.  If I don't call with my phone, a lot more security questions get asked.  Also, many institutions now use a two pass system where they send a text message to my cell phone.  How in the world is that going to happen if I have to use another SIM, which by the way many phones won't allow SIM switching

Nobody will be forced to get a new SIM if they have a non-Thai SIM from another country.  Only people who wish to get a Thai SIM will be forced to use these proposed new SIM cards.  

I am 100% against the new SIM card proposal but had to point out that what you're saying doesn't really jibe with what they're proposing.  

I always wonder who the audience for this BS is.  No foreign countries or businesses believe it.  Thai businesses don't believe it.  So who are they trying to convince?  Themselves?

Let's hope we don't have to go through a succession of mouthpieces lining up to assure that nothing is or will ever go wrong.

Incidentally,   and I could be completely mistaken,   I haven't seen much of an outpouring of sympathy for the dead and injured but there's plenty of comments about money.

Should I be surprised   ?

50 minutes ago, digibum said:

Nobody will be forced to get a new SIM if they have a non-Thai SIM from another country.  Only people who wish to get a Thai SIM will be forced to use these proposed new SIM cards.  

I am 100% against the new SIM card proposal but had to point out that what you're saying doesn't really jibe with what they're proposing.  

I don't know what they are proposing.  All every article I read says is tourists and nothing more.  Surely even the Thais realize that only using Thai SIMS won't do much since many if not most tourists arrive with phones that have SIMS and would not be buying Thai SIM cards?  Will the Thais still mandate as you said?  Probably.  Will it do much?  No. 

1 hour ago, digibum said:

I always wonder who the audience for this BS is.  No foreign countries or businesses believe it.  Thai businesses don't believe it.  So who are they trying to convince?  Themselves?

Yes, themselves, or perhaps the world  im which they live.

A world in which appearing on TV wearing the right colour shirt is more important  than what you say. A world in which you have to be right because you are higher up the caste system than the people you are a addressing. A world which the plebs exist to support, and in which the entire machinery of the state and it's agencies are dedicated to supporting and admiring those at the top.Where if challenged by those below you draconian penalties are applied to them, where if challenged from  outside banal xenophobia and claims to be different to the rest of the world are the only response. Truly a world where a society does not deserve and is poorly served by its  masters.

Outside this world it's a nice place and nice people...

He say this blasts unlikely to impact on Thailand’s growth rate or GDP

I really don't understand this.

Its absolute great for Thailand, if the country is immune to this, other countries has problem when a tragic  like this happens.

I understand that policymakers and economists, says the economy is expected to be barely scratched after a string of bombing and arson attacks, and the economy is immune to the bomb attacks and GDP growth is expected to outpace 3.3% forecast this year.

The government also says It's not necessary to launch any new measures to alleviate the impact of the attacks because tourists are sticking to their plans to visit Thailand, even as other article says the opposite.

I understand is necessary to keep up the good news, as Deputy Prime Minister Somkid Jatusripitak said the blasts were unlikely to cause any drastic impact on the economy.

So the economic is immune from bad news, it seems like it.

Yesterdays baht retreated in the morning, when the marked opened, but turned firmer to 34.60 versus the greenback. The strongest since July last year. 
Roong Sanguanruang, director of global markets analysis at Bank of Ayudhya, said the baht was Monday's best performer in Asia

My question is.

Does this mean that after 11 bombs in Thailand, on very famous tourist destination, killing tourist, the world and the marked just want to buy more bath, as revenue from tourists accounts for 10% of GDP and contributed 2 percentage points to the 2.8% full-year GDP growth in 2015, because is a good investment right after a attack on tourists places in Thailand??

I hope somebody can enlighten me here, because i don't understand it

And then the yesterdays stock marked. the Thai shares also faced a wild ride. down first, but gain about 1.1% from the lost to marked close

I don't understand this...... or maybe some invisibly hands keep on helping Thailand.. i don't know

Edited by carstenp
gramma

16 minutes ago, JAG said:

Yes, themselves, or perhaps the world  im which they live.

A world in which appearing on TV wearing the right colour shirt is more important  than what you say. A world in which you have to be right because you are higher up the caste system than the people you are a addressing. A world which the plebs exist to support, and in which the entire machinery of the state and it's agencies are dedicated to supporting and admiring those at the top.Where if challenged by those below you draconian penalties are applied to them, where if challenged from  outside banal xenophobia and claims to be different to the rest of the world are the only response. Truly a world where a society does not deserve and is poorly served by its  masters.

Outside this world it's a nice place and nice people...

The statements from the elites show a DNA inferiority at confronting facts .

Westerners faced in a harsh winter  and possible starvation may have had the foresight to say store supplies ....facing the facts of experience.

I believe these people exhibit a denial of evidence and colour in their world with not only delusional fantasies , but demand it is the official reality.

Then invent laws that prohibit reality from  being spoken.

image.jpg

Edited by Plutojames88

Consecutive bomb explosions are considered having large impact on the number of visitors and revenue of the tourism industry, which contributes a great deal to Thailand’s GDP. In 2015, tourism earned 2.8 trillion baths (US$81.6 billion), accounting for 21% of national GDP. According to statistics of the World Travel and Tourism Council, last year, Thailand’s tourism created 5.9 million jobs accounting for 15% of the national workforce.

http://english.m.vov.vn/world/thailand-tightens-security-for-tourists-safety-328189.vov#ref-https://www.google.com/

1 hour ago, gk10002000 said:

I don't know what they are proposing.  All every article I read says is tourists and nothing more.  Surely even the Thais realize that only using Thai SIMS won't do much since many if not most tourists arrive with phones that have SIMS and would not be buying Thai SIM cards?  Will the Thais still mandate as you said?  Probably.  Will it do much?  No. 

I don't know where you looked because almost every story about it says something like:

Foreign tourists would be able to continue to use SIM cards brought in from other countries under roaming service and would not be required to turn their location on.

Thailand could lose up to 200,000 foreign visitors and $293 million in tourism revenue this year, the head of its tourism authority said on Monday, after a series of deadly blasts in tourist towns last week.

Always interesting, when the so-called experts obviously contradict themselves.