Off Site Emploment

Hello everyone,

I'm not new to Thailand, but new to this site. I'm looking for advice.

I'm employed by one of the premier English language institutes in Thailand. I used to work exclusively at one of their language centers.

My work permit specifies that I work there. However, I have been sent to work at a partner school at a different location. I would appreciate any advice regarding the legality of working off-site.

I've been assured that there's not a problem, but I'd like to make sure this is the case.

Thanks in advance.

Work permits are location specific, but your company could add the new location to your existing WP if it is in the same Immigration area.

Otherwise you should have a new WP for the new location.

Edited by muzmurray

In theory, you are supposed to have the second location added to your work permit. It's unlikely there would be an issue if you were caught teaching at the second location by Labor; but if you were, I think it's a 1,000 baht fine.

If you start stressing about all the grey areas of Thai work permits and visas, you'll have a heart attack.

5 hours ago, stubuzz said:

You would be working illegally if you don't have a work permit for that address. Call the labor office and get their opinion.

You can add a second location to a work permit. He has a work permit. Did you read the OP?

52 minutes ago, Loaded said:

You can add a second location to a work permit. He has a work permit. Did you read the OP?

Yes. Did you read my reply?  His work permit does not currently entitle him to work at a second place.

Once again thanks for all the advice.

Whilst I understand that I may be able to have an additional workplace added to my WP my worry is this; working for a language centre negates my Thai teaching license requirements, but at this partner school would I need to meet the license requirements for it to be added to my WP?

We have many other staff working at the partner school, but they seem to not worry about this.

17 hours ago, Expat Teacher said:

Once again thanks for all the advice.

Whilst I understand that I may be able to have an additional workplace added to my WP my worry is this; working for a language centre negates my Thai teaching license requirements, but at this partner school would I need to meet the license requirements for it to be added to my WP?

We have many other staff working at the partner school, but they seem to not worry about this.

If the formal school's location isn't on the work permit, you don't need to worry about the TCT stuff. Language schools are non-formal schools and the TCT cannot touch them.

However, if the TCT know that you are working at a formal school, they will pressure the formal school to put you through the TCT teacher license/waiver process. Life then becomes less straightforward for you and the formal school.