3BB 100Mbit/s VS AIS 50Mbit/s package (fiber)

consti

I have to decide which fiber connection I want - I'm looking into either 3BBs 100Mbit offer (1200 Baht a month) or AISs 50Mbit Home Package (888 Baht a month).

If you have either of those, could you comment on actual speeds? Does your connection get throttled after using it a lot? How are international speeds (e.g. http://beta.speedtest.net[1] )?

If possible, please check a wired connection (e.g. connected through ethernet to the router), since Wifi can make a big difference.

Thank you!

PS: I've seen other posts praising AIS 50 Mbit/s packages - but I've not found any about 3BB's 100Mbit fiber offer.

Edited by consti

I can compare the 3BB FTTx 100/30 Professional package (2,500 baht/month) and the AIS Fiber Home 50/10 (888 baht/month, but 10 % discount available for AIS mobile customers).

Actual local speeds meet or exceed package specs, so 105/33 with 3BB sometimes, and 53/13 with AIS.

International speeds are fine on both.

Install, customer service, billing all a snap with both. AIS gives away a lot more kit: router, WiFi extender, Android TV box.

There are lengthy threads here on both offers, with skads of detail, and a bazillion speedtests.

@mtls2005 thank you. What are international speeds to e.g. Singapore. Can you use https://beta.speedtest.net (make sure it's the beta., the other is getting cheated by the ISPs through caching)?

Do you ever get the connection throttled on peak times?

Unforuntately I couldn't find any posts that mentioned the 3BB 100 Mbit Fiber offer (I searched for 3BB and try to read every post that looked promising :) ).

I don't need the Android TV Box or WiFi extender - just fiber + good router (or the possibility to use my own fiber compatible router).

@muratremix do you have any data to back this? Is the AIS 50/10 Fiber faster than the 3BB 100 Mbit Fiber?

Thank you!

58 minutes ago, consti said:

@mtls2005 thank you. What are international speeds to e.g. Singapore. Can you use https://beta.speedtest.net (make sure it's the beta., the other is getting cheated by the ISPs through caching)?

Unforuntately I couldn't find any posts that mentioned the 3BB 100 Mbit Fiber offer (I searched for 3BB and try to read every post that looked promising :) ).

I don't need the Android TV Box or WiFi extender - just fiber + good router (or the possibility to use my own fiber compatible router).

@muratremix do you have any data to back this? Is the AIS 50/10 Fiber faster than the 3BB 100 Mbit Fiber?

Thank you!

How do you test to Singapore with the beta speed test? I only can chose between Bangkok servers.

1 hour ago, consti said:

Thank you!

From what others share, 3BB 100/10 fiber is same as 50/10 VDSL.

Beware, Speedtest uses 2-4-8 threads depends on server config, so you'll not get single connection speed with it.

As Pib shared, AIS 50/10 rocks in both speedtest and testmy.net tests.

3BB 100/30 premier service also seems great but 2500 baht + VAT price.

Only downside of AIS is that you don't get dynamic IP address but you can still make port forwarding to your camera / nas via their internal thddns service.

@Berty100 seems like beta.speedtest.net is broken right now. Doesn't work for me either. Normally you should be able to "Choose Location" and then change to a server in Singapore. Currently I can't even test it in Bangkok (tried Chrome, Firefox and Safari - I also see a lot of JS errors in the console).

@muratremix thanks. Where did you read that 3BB 100/10 is as fast as (any?) 50/10 VDSL?

I'm currently leaning more towards 3BB because on another forum, someone told me he gets 98 Mbit in Bangkok & Singapore; which would be perfect of course :)

See: https://www.reddit.com/r/Bangkok/comments/4y3m6t/internet_speed_3bb_100mbit_vs_ais_50mbit/

Edited by consti

5 minutes ago, muratremix said:

From what others share, 3BB 100/10 fiber is same as 50/10 VDSL.

Not sure where you're getting that idea from?  Same in terms of what, local speeds, international speeds, other?

I have 3BB 100/10 FTTH, and have posted a lot of speed test results in the 3BB threads here. And I don't recall anyone making that kind of suggestion.

Meanwhile, in terms of pricing, instead of trying to compare a 2500b 3BB 100/30 Mbps fiber package with AIS's 50/10 fiber package for 888b as Mtls did above,  it would seem more reasonable to compare AIS's 50/10 Mbps plan with 3BB's 100/10 Mbps fiber plans.

Also, another factor to figure in is VPN use. For anything international where I'm going to care about higher streaming or downloading speeds, I'm invariably going to be using a VPN. So whenever I'm doing any speed tests for international connections, while I always test just the straight local ISP connection speeds, the ones I pay attention to are the local ISP service combined with my own VPN service.

Invariably for me and many others here, we get much faster international connections when combining the local ISP service with a good VPN, since that seems to get around the international traffic throttling and/or poor routing issues that would impact just a local ISP connection alone.

24 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Not sure where you're getting that idea from?  Same in terms of what, local speeds, international speeds, other?

I have 3BB 100/10 FTTH, and have posted a lot of speed test results in the 3BB threads here. And I don't recall anyone making that kind of suggestion.

Meanwhile, in terms of pricing, instead of trying to compare a 2500b 3BB 100/30 Mbps fiber package with AIS's 50/10 fiber package for 888b as Mtls did above,  it would seem more reasonable to compare AIS's 50/10 Mbps plan with 3BB's 100/10 Mbps fiber plans.

Also, another factor to figure in is VPN use. For anything international where I'm going to care about higher streaming or downloading speeds, I'm invariably going to be using a VPN. So whenever I'm doing any speed tests for international connections, while I always test just the straight local ISP connection speeds, the ones I pay attention to are the local ISP service combined with my own VPN service.

Invariably for me and many others here, we get much faster international connections when combining the local ISP service with a good VPN, since that seems to get around the international traffic throttling and/or poor routing issues that would impact just a local ISP connection alone.

By same speeds I mean, max speed in Thailand locally, 2-3 mbit per connection Internationally (except Asia region).

When you get 5-7 mbit on speedtest, it doesn't mean you get 5-7 mbit to europe / usa in one connection.

You can feel free to try 100Mb.zip files from various locations with your browser to see real international speed.

3BB caps Singapore connection to 20Mbit on my VDSL on single connection. You'll probably get 20 or 30 mbits on your 100Mbit if you test it properly. On AIS, it seems vpn is unnecessary.

TL;DR

AIS gives 20-40 mbit international with speedtest (split to 2-4 threads, you still get 5-10 Mbit single connection)

3BB gives 3-5-7 mbit international with speedtest (except singapore of course)

That's your experience, and it doesn't necessarily match mine. Just as I posted and replied to you previously, I don't get the same kind of 3BB Singapore throttling that you say you do.

Also, for all my speed test posting, I use and rely on TestMy.net, which AFAIK is doing only single threaded testing, unless you specifically choose the multi-thread option they provide.

I never use Ookla's SpeedTest.net for anything, because its results are often so notoriously inaccurate. And if you were paying any attention to the numerous posts I've done on 3BB speed test results for my 100/10 3BB fiber, you'd know that.

My 50/10 "fibre" is not fibre to the home, but to the building. It adds around 20ms extra latency (ping).

At work we use 3BB and True fibre (the real one fibre). 3BB tends to perform better than True when going to Singapore (where many internet services using amazon are hosted).

3BB were quite clear that they couldn't give me fibre optic and they offered VDSL. AIS lied in my face. I only found one reference to VDSL in their fibre website.

AIS service is quite good. The android TV box is useful too as it serves as media player for their internet TV system.

3BB service in the office was also good. The router provided was open and we could setup bridge mode quite easily. Something I cannot say about True fibre.

Yes, assuming both are available, it is better to compare 3BB 100/10, or even their VDSL 50/10 to the AIS Home 50/10 package, re: price/market segment.

I was simply offering what I could based on first-hand experience which was as clearly described, and obviously not a like-like comparison, nor did it address the OP's exact situation. Again, I think I was very, very clear?

Yes, for high-rise buildings, or those large sites which have copper installed, it is preferred to bring fiber to the "curb" (basement), then use VDSL to deliver the service over the final run. Pulling fiber all the way is pretty much impossible/cost prohibitive. All the installs I've been involved with are FTTH, terminating inside the home, with optical connection to a router. I'm not aware of any throttling, with 3BB or AIS, but obviously they'll need to manage their bandwidth. 

There are a bazillion speedtest in the related threads. I don't have the time, desire to conduct what are in reality meaningless speedtests. In reality you are only paying for local internet access, and not some global performance guarantees. The latter can be had, but at much higher prices.

testmynet to Singapore is 49/9 (ethernet), and 48/9 (wifi) on ais 50/10 ftth, at 07:00 on 18/8/16.

Edited by mtls2005

7 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

testmynet to Singapore is 49/9 (ethernet),  and 48/9 (wifi) on ais 50/10 ftth, at 07:00 on 18/8/16.

Here, by way of comparison, as of  2 pm today, 25 MB single thread DL.

As I've mentioned before and we had an entire thread on, 3BB really does benefit from the use of a good VPN service in terms of international bandwidth.

My 3BB 100/10 connection in BKK direct Ethernet to TestMy's Sing server:

TestMy Sing Ethernet Direct 31 Mbps.jpg

My 3BB 100/10 connection via my VPN's Sing server to TestMy's Sing server:

TestMy Sing Ethernet w Sing VPN-109 Mbps.jpg

2 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Here, by way of comparison, as of  2 pm today, 25 MB single thread DL.

As I've mentioned before and we had an entire thread on, 3BB really does benefit from the use of a good VPN service in terms of international bandwidth.

My 3BB 100/10 connection in BKK direct Ethernet to TestMy's Sing server:

TestMy Sing Ethernet Direct 31 Mbps.jpg

My 3BB 100/10 connection via my VPN's Sing server to TestMy's Sing server:

TestMy Sing Ethernet w Sing VPN-109 Mbps.jpg

Your vpn test result is skewed. Disable your software firewall + antivirus and disable openvpn compression for normal results. Your maximum appears to be 460 Mbit on a 100 (110 perhaps) mbit line :)

2 minutes ago, muratremix said:

You get better performance than 2500 baht 100/30 premier. Your performance also much better than TallGuyJohn above. Amazing.

in the very early mornings when i'm most active speed to SG varies between 100 and 150. don't ask me why.

SG 115mb 1.JPG