Tourist Warning: Don't take photos of airline employees in the UAE

webfact

Tourist Warning: Don't take photos of airline employees in the UAE

DUBAI: -- Tourists visiting places in the United Arab Emirates (UAE) such as Dubai or Abu Dhabi should be aware of not taking pictures of people, including pictures of those working for airlines. Six month in a UAE jail and fines can be the charge for taking photos of someone without permission.

Laws in the UAE protect individuals from the misuse of modern technology or other means to violate their privacy, as well as protect them from people photographing them in private places or any violation of their privacy or threat of using technology to threaten or defame.

An Asian woman will stand trial in court on the charges of verbally insulting a Dubai Airports’ employee and threatening to post his photo on social media.

Full story: http://www.eturbonews.com/73789/tourist-warning-dont-take-photos-airline-employees-uae

-- eTN 2016-08-17

26 minutes ago, OMGImInPattaya said:

I think "photographing in private places" is the key phrase here.

Well it isn't that simple, I think. Clearly an airport is not a 'private place'. The point i guess is that it is futile becoming engaged in a situation involving verbal conflict in the UAE or Dubai and making threats such as 'I will put you on  public media' if someone is just doing their job is really asking for trouble.

2 hours ago, Andaman Al said:

Well it isn't that simple, I think. Clearly an airport is not a 'private place'. The point i guess is that it is futile becoming engaged in a situation involving verbal conflict in the UAE or Dubai and making threats such as 'I will put you on  public media' if someone is just doing their job is really asking for trouble.

She threatened to post them on FB without his consent...it seems she spoke in a rude manner as well. I think these were the "crimes" in this case...not the photo per se.

Usually the ME can be relied on for archaic, cruel and primitive laws….but this one I am in agreement with.

Phone cams have created a new level of vanity, intrusiveness and ugliness in people.

I use mine as a utility not some goddamn excuse to take a pic of everything i encounter in my day.

I witnessed this first hand recently. After the crash landing in Dubai two weeks ago, my plane was diverted to an alternate airport and we were stuck there in the plane for a loooong time. When we finally arrived at Dubai airport 10 hours behind schedule it was rather chaotic there with airport and airline totally lacking manpower to address the situation. When some passengers took out their phone to start filming the heated arguments threads were made by staff that filming anything would result in a 6 months stint in jail. At three times I witnessed police being called to deal with passengers filming the chaos in the airport. 

They don't like anything that makes them look bad.

And when you own a country,  you can make new laws like this on a whim.

The ruler gets it printed in the official gazette and, hey presto!, job done.

He could ban Cornflakes if he felt like it, no-one would be able to do a thing.

3 hours ago, Chicog said:

They don't like anything that makes them look bad.

And when you own a country,  you can make new laws like this on a whim.

The ruler gets it printed in the official gazette and, hey presto!, job done.

He could ban Cornflakes if he felt like it, no-one would be able to do a thing.

Sounds very familiar.

I've seen this happen in Thailand at the check-in counter. There was a heated argument between the customer and the check-in lady. The check-in lady wanted the family to each identify their bag, the family said you can just tag any bag as its the same family. The check-in lady made a big deal about safety, the father did not care and argued back its not a big deal. Argument became heated so the father took his phone out and snap a picture of the check-in lady. The check-in lady called security and made the father delete the picture or face being arrested by the police....that was a couple years ago

1 hour ago, 55Jay said:

Asian woman vs. an Emirati by chance?

Nothing worse than an asian woman who thinks she's privileged.

Combine that with emiratis who thinks every other race are their slaves and that is a nice little disaster waiting to happen.

Edited by JHolmesJr

10 minutes ago, JHolmesJr said:

Nothing worse than an asian woman who thinks she's privileged.

Combine that with emiratis who thinks every other race are their slaves and that is a nice little disaster waiting to happen.

Yup.

8 hours ago, mike324 said:

I've seen this happen in Thailand at the check-in counter. There was a heated argument between the customer and the check-in lady. The check-in lady wanted the family to each identify their bag, the family said you can just tag any bag as its the same family. The check-in lady made a big deal about safety, the father did not care and argued back its not a big deal. Argument became heated so the father took his phone out and snap a picture of the check-in lady. The check-in lady called security and made the father delete the picture or face being arrested by the police....that was a couple years ago

You take my photo without my permission I will request you delete it. If you refuse I will also call the police. You have no legal right to take a photo of someone  without their permission. This really irrates me.

TH 

14 hours ago, thaihome said:

You take my photo without my permission I will request you delete it. If you refuse I will also call the police. You have no legal right to take a photo of someone  without their permission. This really irrates me.

TH 

No doubt about it, I was surprised at how fast and efficient the security acted....

1 hour ago, Americano555 said:

Yes, I trained and educated you camel jockey's for 6 years.

08/17/2016 Americano555 said:

Hippocrate Arabs

Arab camel jockeys who had the classical Greek name Hippocrate? :whistling: