Flight options for applying visa and other nonsense

Although the neighboring countries do not ask for any flight confirmation, most if not all consulates in our home country do.

In the past I always booked a Thaiairways ticket, the had a relative low cancellation fee (2000 bath) and rebooking dates were free, and I used that a couple of times, even if they didn't check in Vientiane or PNH. Another reason for choosing Thai, the have quite a few offices around Thailand, it's just easier to deal with them, rather than on a phone.

The cost is going up now to 3000 bath, still not a big deal, however I'm considering to book a one way out of Thailand to some neighboring country, maybe Cambodia or similar. Just checked on Airasia was 1700 bath, if I do the timing about right I could actually use it.

Just wondering how members deal with it. Or do you know of other airlines with low cancellation fees?

Another nonsense is the requirement for a hotel booking (in case of the METV 6 months). There is actually no problem to make bookings for 6 months on booking.com or the like, but who'll believe that.

1000baht to many places with AA. Saigon and Vientiane just 2 examples. As for comment about neighbouring countries do not ask for onward flight...don't bank on it. AA will require if you do not have valid visa or permission of stay with reentry permit