Khmer Killed by Mine in Thailand

geovalin

A Cambodian farm guard died after detonating an anti-personnel mine in Thailand’s Chantaburi province on Tuesday while digging for bamboo shoots, police said yesterday. Thirty-six-year-old Koeun Mab, from Battambang province’s Kamrieng district, had worked as a guard at the farm for two years before Tuesday’s fatal accident, Chim Chamnan, chief of the border police for Pailin and Battambang provinces, told Khmer Times.

“It happened at 10:30am, when he was digging for bamboo shoots for his meal. He died instantly. The body was badly damaged,” he said. He added that the owner of the farm, who he did not name, alerted Cambodian border police stationed at the Pailin international checkpoint, about two kilometers away.

Pailin province, on Cambodia’s western border with Thailand, remained a stronghold of the Khmer Rouge until 1998 and is still heavily mined. This particular type of anti-personnel mine are known colloquially to Cambodians as “frog” mines for the way the main charge is launched about one meter upwards before detonating at waist height. Mr. Chamnan noted that Mr. Mab’s body had been repatriated the same day as the accident, along with a 30,000 baht (about $870) donation for his family.

read more http://www.khmertimeskh.com/news/28700/khmer-killed-by-mine-in-thailand/