90 day worth the bother?

On August 19, 2559 BE at 6:48 PM, ubonjoe said:

The only risk of not doing your report before you leave is when you do your first report after returning from your trip if they were check and discovered you did not report before leaving you could be fined 2000 baht for not reporting.

Report slips may be checked at borders soon. 

Not true - I had a friend do this & Immigration at BK did check. His 90 day was 3 days overdue before leaving. They cancelled his 1 year visa & gave him a 30 day tourist visa. He had to go back to his own country to redo the 1 year OA visa. Definitely not worth the risk!

3 hours ago, ammagic said:

Not true - I had a friend do this & Immigration at BK did check. His 90 day was 3 days overdue before leaving. They cancelled his 1 year visa & gave him a 30 day tourist visa. He had to go back to his own country to redo the 1 year OA visa. Definitely not worth the risk!

I don't believe anything that happened would have been due to a 90 day report being overdue by 3 days!

Visas are rarely cancelled and only in extreme circumstances. It's more likely that he left without a re-entry permit so his existing permission to stay (not a visa) ended. When he re-entered the IO gave him permission to stay for 30 days (not a visa) as he qualified for the visa exempt scheme.

6 hours ago, elviajero said:

I don't believe anything that happened would have been due to a 90 day report being overdue by 3 days!

Visas are rarely cancelled and only in extreme circumstances. It's more likely that he left without a re-entry permit so his existing permission to stay (not a visa) ended. When he re-entered the IO gave him permission to stay for 30 days (not a visa) as he qualified for the visa exempt scheme.

Exactly that :-)

An interesting thread much debate on the 90 day report. "Worth it" was the opening words. We can all debate untill the world is sucked into a void the merit of the 90 day report, but If you live in thailand with a visa/extension of stay and don't hold PR then the fact is it is the LAW not a request. So suck it up and just do it it's not hard yes a pain as a lot of LAW throughout the world are. But that's life. I'm sure when you came to live here you knew the rules and if not you should have looked them up you can't change them to suit you now.

Edited by Deepinthailand
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, MeowBundit said:

Opinion, based on changed situation with reports. This is "paid" violation if no report was made on time or at all. 

A fine for  not doing 90 day reports or doing them late has been in the immigration act since 1979 so nothing new.

Immigration on departure from the country have no interest in 90 day reports. The report of them fining people at Chiang Mai is the only one that I have ever seen and it may be a case of the them overstepping their authority.

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

A fine for  not doing 90 day reports or doing them late has been in the immigration act since 1979 so nothing new.

Immigration on departure from the country have no interest in 90 day reports. The report of them fining people at Chiang Mai is the only one that I have ever seen and it may be a case of the them overstepping their authority.

Ubonjoe I agree with what you say on this but there seems to be an awful lot of overstepping there authority in all aspects twds immigration just recently. It only takes one to do it one to see it and do the same. Take the forigners social form for instance. Or the name change form required for non o at Laos recently.

The crux of the matter is the archaic rule of 90-day 'alien' reporting that is quite frankly, useless.

Is there any other country in the world that is currently doing this?

In a similar vein, I think having single / multi re-entry permits for a 1-year extension of stay are also pointless.

I prefer the Chinese system i.e. the single-entry work / family visas (akin to a non-B / non-O respectively)

convert into a 1-year (sometimes 2-year) residence permit, which allows you to enter/exit as many times as you please within that period.

5 minutes ago, varun said:

The crux of the matter is the archaic rule of 90-day 'alien' reporting that is quite frankly, useless.

Is there any other country in the world that is currently doing this?

In a similar vein, I think having single / multi re-entry permits for a 1-year extension of stay are also pointless.

I prefer the Chinese system i.e. the single-entry work / family visas (akin to a non-B / non-O respectively)

convert into a 1-year (sometimes 2-year) residence permit, which allows you to enter/exit as many times as you please within that period.

No you fail to see we are in thailand there country there rules. It's pointless saying in China +++++ we are not in China. We are in thailand and there rules state++++++ and that's what we have to do quite simple really.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, varun said:

Not quite sure what you're getting so anal about,

my critique was directed the archaic rules that could be simplified.

Regrettably, TIT and there's not much you/I can do.

Sorry wasn't aware was getting Anal was merely pointing out a few facts.

You say regrettably this is Thailand I say ìm happy thus is Thailand and I could live with losing 15 mins of my time every 90 days. Don't have to bother now done the last one. Switching to a non o multi entry  based on marriage. A lot easier solution for me. Yes will still sometimes pop up to immigration if I want the 60 day extension. Again I can live with that.

9 hours ago, Deepinthailand said:

An interesting thread much debate on the 90 day report. "Worth it" was the opening words. We can all debate untill the world is sucked into a void the merit of the 90 day report, but If you live in thailand with a visa/extension of stay and don't hold PR then the fact is it is the LAW not a request. So suck it up and just do it it's not hard yes a pain as a lot of LAW throughout the world are. But that's life. I'm sure when you came to live here you knew the rules and if not you should have looked them up you can't change them to suit you now.

I think the comment I have highlighted is the root of many problems. Most people don't know the rules before they come, and don't look them up/learn them before they come or when they are here. They then start moaning about a system they believe is out to get them, which is actually very easy to comply with.

• Like 2