Thammasat Uni to cut energy consumption by 40%

webfact

Thammasat Uni to cut energy consumption by 40%

tam.jpg

BANGKOK, 22 August 2016 (NNT) - Thammasat University has installed solar panels on a building roof in a hope of saving 40% of its electricity consumption. 

The installation of roof-top solar panels, which was carried out by a private company at the university’s Rangsit campus, is believed to be the largest solar system used among universities in Asia. 

The installation is part of Thammasat University’s energy project aimed at saving electricity consumption during the day and producing 15 megawatts of electricity before the end of this year. 

The university rector, Mr. Somkid Lertpaitoon, hoped the project would help promote energy efficiency among students. 

The university’s Rangsit campus had consumed approximately 70 million electrical units per year or around 190,000 units per day before the solar panels were introduced. 

The solar panels are expected to produce up to 75,000 electrical units daily as well as reduce the campus’s overall energy consumption by 40%. 

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2016-08-22

Some quick numbers and if I have my sums right

Module efficiency :15.50%
Module rating :250wp
Capacity :1MW /1000kW
No of module:4000 
=6451 Sq.meter 

for 15 MW system

= 96765 Sq meter

or 60, 000 modules

Typically Solar costs USD 3.0/watt

Ergo this project will cost USD 45000000

Thammasat is as useless as any in efforts like these. Talk today and tomorrow it'll be forgotten. TU has turned quiet peaceful Klong Luang district in Prathumthani into a noisy mess of Bangkok people. Why did they even relocate?

32 minutes ago, Alive said:

Thammasat is as useless as any in efforts like these. Talk today and tomorrow it'll be forgotten. TU has turned quiet peaceful Klong Luang district in Prathumthani into a noisy mess of Bangkok people. Why did they even relocate?

To provide easier access for students from outside of BKK i thought you would be all for something like that.. probably not when its close to you. 

7 hours ago, Witblitz said:

Some quick numbers and if I have my sums right

Module efficiency :15.50%
Module rating :250wp
Capacity :1MW /1000kW
No of module:4000 
=6451 Sq.meter 

for 15 MW system

= 96765 Sq meter

or 60, 000 modules

Typically Solar costs USD 3.0/watt

Ergo this project will cost USD 45000000

I'm not sure you have your sums right.

Nothing is mentioned in this article that they want to produce this 15MW per hour.

They are expecting, that this system will produce 75KW per day.

Ergo, minimum a 12.5KW/h system is required.

The most common system available in Thailand is some Chinese crap. With a not up to date efficiency. Even the cheapest systems in Europe are now able to get 20%+ output and the newest modules have a output up to 40%.

Here are some quick numbers:

Efficiency 15.7%

Ratio per panel 305W

Daily Consumption 75KW

Average daylight 6h

Consumption per hour 12.5KW

min required panels 261 pieces

Panel surface 522qm

Price per panel 8746 ฿

Inverter 80000 ฿

Cables 40000 ฿

MEA price per KW/h @ 4.6 ฿

Total price of this system approx. 2.4Mill. ฿

Compensated in around 19 years.

The more interesting question would be, has this school the permission to back feed a overproduction to the MEA grid and how they'll get compensated? As my information from PEA it is not permitted to back feed into their grid. Because, if any maintenance must get performed, it would be not ensured this line is de-energized.